Trying to Decide if Its Right for Me - Chicago, IL

I've always hated my nose, and it's time I...

I've always hated my nose, and it's time I make a change, I think... I'm worried about cost, and that I will not like the end result. My grandmother is of Jewish decent, and for some reason, I'm not only one in my family that got "the nose". My nose has bothered me since 7th grade when I started getting teased about it.

I feel it is too big for my face, and I hate the huge hump, that has grown since I was in high school. I usually delete any picture that shows my profile. I honestly feel that my nose is causing a lack of confidence and that I could be much prettier if it were smaller. If this were your face, would you get the surgery? This would be my college graduation gift to myself and would be done in 2014.

I was nervous before my surgery as well but my doctor and his staff were really reassuring. I was also scared to remove my cast because I was afraid I'd hate my nose but getting my nose fixed was the best decision I've ever made. Right after the cast was taken off, my nose was a bit squared off and I was worried it would stay like that but my doctor said that it was only like that b/c of the cast and it'd get better and less swollen with time. By the end of that day, my nose was not squared anymore and it looked very cute. I am more confident now and I love my new nose. My doctor did a wonderful job. He gave me a cute natural looking nose. I have pictures on my profile if you'd like to see. My surgery cost $6300 and my insurance covered part of the cost for my medications (vicodin, anti-nausea, antibiotics) so the total for my medications was about $40. If you have not chosen a doctor yet, I 'd recommend mine. His name is Dr. Turowski. I really liked his staff, the facility and him. But there are also other good surgeons in Chicago. Just do your research and make sure your doctor has plenty experience and is board certified. Good luck!
good luck with your surgery!! i am sure everything will be fine. I was a complete "scaredy cat" about this surgery..i balled my eyes out in the car before I even walked into the office the morning of cause i was so scared lol!! To be honest, it wasn't even that bad... just get a lot of movies and rest up, you will be fine. you can read my blog if it helps u! :)

Yes, you can do this! There are several really great plastic surgeons in Seattle. Make sure you look for one who specializes in rhinoplasty. It's an intricate, difficult procedure and you definitely want a doctor who knows what he or she is doing.

Thank you for the comment. I thinnk that if I can get Lasic (I was scared to death!) then this should be no big deal. right? I think that is really holding me back is the cost. On here is says average is around $6000. But is that for everything? I know that does not included time off work or medication. BTW, I'm from Seattle, moved here about 2 years ago.

Your personality and inner beauty really show through in your face and beautiful smile! For each person, it's a very individual decision. I can tell you from personal experience that, for me, rhinoplasty was SO worth it. I got it done when I was 27, but wish I'd done it sooner. The best thing about it: I really just don't think about my nose anymore. SO liberating.

The surgery usually lasts 1 to 2 hours. Most people report very little pain, just a lot of congestion/tiredness and, occasionally nausea at first. It's' about a week of downtime.

This is what I've learned from having rhinoplasty done and from being a community manager here for more than a year: go with someone who is a board certified rhinoplasty specialist and consult with at least 2 to 3 surgeons to be sure you're hiring the best one for the job!!!! I can't stress this enough.

Hope this helps! Please let us know what you decide to do!

Hey there,

I am in the exact same situation as you! My nose is very similar, it has a hump and the tip drops when I smile, I hate the look of it too, in profile.

I don't know if I can do it either....I met with a good surgeon (I am in the UK) and he seems good, but I still feel uneasy about committing. I too am scared about having a nose I hate after the surgery.

I'm sorry I can't provide any answers but you are not alone...I feel as scared as you!!