Why Didn't I Know Beforhand the Extent of the Scar? - Chicago, IL

I was told Mohs is minimally invasive. oh my, not...

i was told Mohs is minimally invasive. oh my, not my case at all. i had a one cm mole about 2 cm below my eyelid. i trust the derm/onc i went to, and am happy he got all the CA. however, what i wasn't prepared for, after reading all the pre-op material i could get m hands on, was the extent of the revision scar. most of the literature cited "a few sutures." i ended up with a 3.5cm scar in a chevron pattern with a 2cm scar on the bottom half of the chevron. what gives?

Thanks for your review, I hope you've healed well. Your review will help others, especially to make sure they are prepared for the appearance of the incision, I suppose it all depends how far the surgeon has to go to get healthy skin, what appears on the surface isn't always the full extent of the BCC or SCC.
By now, I bet this is barely visible.
Order silicone sheeting from Rejuveness and their skin tape and wear this every night for 3-5 months. Usually in 2.5 months you can't see the scar if you are faithful in wearing it for 8 hours daily. Don't use the cheap knock offs at the drug store.
krunic, md

i found this derm/onc through my primary doc. he was amazingly courteous, and knowledgeable, as he's an MD/PHD in derm, with a great, well informed office staff of PAs and nurse practioners. the office's post op care was amazing, given other experiences with BCC or SCC with friends. basically, i just wasn't prepared for the extent of the revised scar, given it was a one cm dia. lesion. the literature online is inadequate to prepare PTs, i'm afraid. i have post op pics to share if you care to see them.

Updated on 19 Nov 2012: