Better Than Expected - Chicago, IL

I am trying to lighten dark spots on my face from...

I am trying to lighten dark spots on my face from melasma and the sun. I am too dark to have laser treatments.

I have been using a prescription hydroquinone for about five weeks and it has been quite helpful. A friend and I went to have microdermabrasion and facials at a spa owned by her son in law. I had no idea what to expect as I have never had this type of treatment before.

The technician was thorough in explaining the process and what I might experience as a result (with my use of hydroquinone my skin my be more sensitive) and if I were to come back again how to prepare better (stop using hydroquinone and retinol products) and to combine it with an enzyme peel to better target the dark spots.

She was careful, precise and the treatment left my skin soft and glowing. I had no discomfort. I noticed at the end of the day my skin was quite pink in areas, but after 24 hours that has completely diminished. My skin is amazingly smooth and radiant. I would definitely have this treatment again and combine it with an enzyme peel as suggested to maintain.

We were lucky enough to have a family member suggest this service.

That's funny you mention that. I am not really prone to acne on my face, but I did notice some tiny, tiny whiteheads (like two) forming on my forehead last night, so I applied some 2% beta hydroxy gel after cleansing and then applied an oil free moisturizer. They are better this morning. So I will be monitoring that.
For the past few years I have been getting acne on my neck from time to time-- ugh -- and i have scars from that. So my hope is also that with the micro terms and the peels I can lessen the appearance of those as well.
*micro derms*

I have heard that sometimes microdermabrasion can cause an acne breakout in those prone to acne. I'm assuming you are not prone to acne, but would still be curious if you noticed a little breakout at all?

honestly, no...not a drastic change with some of the dark spots. The hydroquinone has offered a dramatic improvement in managing that (along with hyper vigilant sun protection), but I suspect, as I've read other's comments on their treatments, that microderms are best in a series combined with other peels. I intend to go that route if my skin responds favorably. Overall, as a treatment for someone who cannot do laser, I really liked my initial results.

Oh, first facial?! That is awesome!! I'm so glad to hear you liked what it your microderm did! Did you notice any change in color on the dark spot you were concerned with?