Facelift in Chicago - Chicago, IL

Getting geared up and preparing for my procedures...

Getting geared up and preparing for my procedures (facelift, brow lift, blephs, neck lift, and fat transfers). Shopping for my first week low sodium foods, taking my arnica and Vitamin C, and just trying to stay calm and picture the after, and not the during. Will post before pics soon so I can be followed the whole way through.

Facelift in Chicago

Five days out until surgery. I stumbled upon an article about "foods to avoid before general anesthesia". There is a study and paper written out of the University of Chicago, http://www.uchospitals.edu/news/1998/19981020-spudstudy.html, indicating that certain foods can inhibit the flushing of anesthesia from your body, causing you to retain the effects longer. Potatoes are the worst offender. Check it out if you are interested. I saw another list somewhere else that showed tomatoes, and berries were also included on this list.

Facelift in Chicago

Posting before pics. You can really see my problem areas. I can't even believe I posted the bad light one. Is this really me.

Big day is Monday and I am ready. One more day to go, just trying to stay calm. Surgery Monday, then first night in hotel. Dr. Visit second day and then home. Having a nurse with me first two nights. I'm sure everything will go well.

Facelift in Chicago

Day three. Are we having fun yet? A short post showing day 3 pic after first shower. Massive swelling but really doesn't hurt. Hard to tell much yet. More to follow.

Pic attached. I hope.

Facelift in Chicago

Feeling good today. Finally able to relate experience. Surgery Monday the 7, so now I'm on day 4 after. Can't say the first night was pleasant, but I'm amazed that there isn't more pain involved. Because there is a lot going on here. The compression cap and the sutures and staples behind the ears are the worst for me, but I know it's a short term thing. One eye healing faster than the other, but these things happen.

The fat transfers are still very swollen so I have no idea what I'll look like, but I like the eyes so far. Hopefully stitches out on Monday. I know that will be great. Here's my pic from today. I didn't get any sides before so I may try to get one demo dr.'s office Monday. All In all, going well.

Pic now. More later.

facelift in chicago

Who knew it would be so hard to wash your hair? You want to make sure you don't touch any staples, sutures, and whatever else is up there. I finally think I've gingerly pulled every strand away from my head and tried to wash with baby shampoo. That baby shampoo is a miracle. I get a little respite from the head bra while hair dries.

Feeling so good today. Want to go out for a walk, but would surely scare the neighbors. Eyes are coming along pretty well, but rest of face is still way way swollen. To be expected on Day 5. Lips even more swollen today. I leaned over accidentally and felt the swelling come up immediately.

Appetite definitely back, which has to be watched carefully, as eating and boredom go hand in hand. Highly recommend taking two dulcolax on day after surgery to get you quickly back to normal.

Monday the stitches come out, I hope. I guess they analyze the progress and decide which ones do and which ones don't. We'll see.

So happy to be on the other side and taking care of myself. Looking so forward to getting "normal" enough to go out for a walk. Might even stand at the stove enough to saute some veggies tonight. Enough already with the soup.

Facelift in Chicago

Day 6. Not much change in looks. Eyes look better but the fat transfers are still really swollen and not progressing as quickly as I would hope. But that's coming from a very impatient person. Ears most uncomfortable part. Changed the face bra to an ace bandage which seeks softer on ears. Here's hoping all sutures and staples come out tomorrow.

I am amazed how good I feel. Have only taken two pain meds the whole time. Dr.'s staff has been very attentive with any concerns and have treated me extremely kindly. I couldn't ask for more.

NEED TO DO SOMETHING. think ill iron today. Yikes. Even that sounds fun. Hope all my colleagues of recent surgeries are faring as well. Will post a new pic when something progresses.

Facelift in Chicago

Waaaa. Waaaa! Waaaa!. Ready to vent. Had my stitches out yesterday which went well. But. The stitches around the ears are dissolvable so they will take another 2-3 weeks. And I have to keep some Vaseline on them so my hair continues to be coated in slime. And I can't use real shampoo till then. Trust me, baby shampoo is no match for Vaseline. And while my eyes look nice, the rest of my face looks like a troll doll. Yes, ladies, if u are near my age u know what that is. The fat transfers take 4 weeks to go down at all so the balloon face will continue for quite awhile. The Pamela Anderson lips will also take a couple more weeks to dissipate. I've been told that they will go down though, thank god. Not much bruising in the black and blue way, but this yellow glow is not attractive.

I want to wash and dry my hair. I want to look cute. I want to go outside. I want to go to the grocery store. I want to go out to dinner and stop eating low-salt excuses for real food. (Actually, ordered out Greek food last night and it was sublime). Oh, and it snowed last night.

WHAT A BABY! I had read all the posts on this site from stir crazy people who complained about cabin fever. Never me, I said. I will listen to books on tapes, watch movies, think deep thoughts, figure out how to make the world better, and use this time to contemplate life. I WANNA GO OUTSIDE! WITHOUT SCARING SOMEONE.

Anyway, thanks ladies, for listening to my rant. I feel much better. Today I will organize some sort of cabinet. After all, it's only been 8 days. I am ashamed of myself for this tirade.

Will post a pic later today.

Day 8 pic.

Facelift in Chicago

Can I just say: I love u guys. When I feel a bit anxious, you really pick me up.

Today, I am considering going out for the NFL draft, considering that my neck is quite powerful-looking today (read swollen). So hard to settle back and realize I'm only day 10. All is well, lips returning to more normal. Facial bruising getting smaller and smaller. Face still fat, but getting better. Will post pic later. Again. Love, love, love goes out to u all.

Facelift in Chicago

I am 2 weeks and 5 days post. Eyes look great. Face is settling in. Then I got a horrific cold. No fun recouping from surgery and cold at the same time.

My neck is the last frontier. It's bruised and a little ridgy, and swollen. Ears, especially one, are feeling like they are carrying the weight of the world--I guess they are--face and neck. But they seem to be getting a little better day by day. Throughout the coughing, sneezing, and general stuffiness, I am trying to stay positive and realize that it hasn't been very long since surgery. Fat transfers still haven't completed their final journey and lips are a little bigger than they should be, but I'm starting to like them in spite of my ambivalence in having them done.

This is a journey. It does require patience and positivity. I'm hoping that another week will be enough to be presentable--although my friends think I'm totally presentable now. CAN'T WASH MY HAIR WITH REAL SHAMPOO TILL ALL SCABS ARE GONE AND I SEE DR. AGAIN. How can we get the vaseline out? Anybody have any ideas. Can't be presentable until that happens. Oh, to be able to use blow dryer and hair products. But this, too, shall pass. Pic to follow right now.

2 weeks and 5 days pic

Facelift in Chicago

3 weeks, 5 days Had a rough go the last week. Neck muscle swelling and still facial swelling to go. Guess I'm a slow healer. Looking forward to a better week. Feeling more sane today.

Facelift in Chicago

I've been having a difficult time with swelling in my neck, actually making it difficult to hold my head in regular position. I had a lymph drainage massage at ps office, and it really helped! Don't know why I thought it couldn't really loosen things up. I would recommend if u are having trouble releasing swelling. I still have a lot to go, but it made me think that someday it really will be GONE!

New pic 5 weeks

facelift in chicago

Wow ladies. Here's what I'm figuring out at 5 weeks. When I first had surgery I was looking for big reduced swelling changes in days. After a couple of weeks, I was looking for big changes in a week. Now, with reality setting in, I am hoping to improve noticeably in a month.

My linebacker neck and face sides (by ears) just won't give it up. Had another massage yesterday and don't see or feel any changes. Biggest pain is the neck. So tight still, just barely functional. But it looks pretty good. Saw Doctor yesterday and they reassured me that all this hard tissue will soften and reduce. So looking forward to that. But so happy to be so far on this side. And so helpful to read about all of my other "friends" on realself who are experiencing the same thing. We are not alone. We are not freaks who do no heal properly. We are just too impatient. Best to you all.

Facelift in Chicago

Newest pic at 10 weeks. Still having some issues with tightness behind ears down into neck. Restricted range of motion and discomfort of lower ears, but getting better. Takes a bit longer than I thought. Oh to be a really fast healer!

Facelift in Chicago

Now three months and 1 week after surgery. I can say that my face is completely free of swelling and pretty settled. Still have some issues with neck. Looks good, but there are sutures down behind ears that are not absorbing and so neck is very tight and was pretty uncomfortable. But Dr. Dayan gave me some cortisone and botox shots along the suture line and it really helped. Neck still tight from sutures, but not as uncomfortable. Some people take a longer time, and I'm one of them. But really happy with my face. When this part is over I will be a very happy camper. Waiting for that 4-6 month period that everyone raves about. So happy to be this far along. Feel rejuvenated. Love to go shopping and feel great in new clothes (although we've been going out more now that I'm really out and about and the restaurant food is not a good thing!).
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

I consulted with three doctors before choosing Dr. Dayan. I felt a much better connection with him--he actually looked me in the eyes, instead of looking at my face. I'm sure he will do a terrific job. As he did. His staff is also amazing and hung with me through every panic and question I had during recovery. They did everything possible to make things easy and positive for me. Dr. Dayan even called me from Australia when I had a problem (who does that) and we did a facetime across the continents.

Three months and free of swelling. That's amazing. Good to hear you are enjoying your new look. You may have to walk to those restaurants to offset the food lol. :)
Great outcome. Look wonderfully young and natural. I wish I could fine a surgen in orange county that perform the same. There are too many ofcourse but it is very cobfusing to find the right one.
Beautiful, simply
So glad you are feeling better and happy with your face -- your pictures from last month look lovely!
Hows It going now, hope all is well!
How ya doing girl? Have been thinking of you and hope you are well. If travels send you to NYC please send me a PM and I'll spot you a glass of wine and let's trade tales. Likewise in Chicago? :)
Would love to. And actually contemplating coming to NYC. Wanted to see the play about LBJ but it's closed. Go see THE LAST SHIP when it opens. Saw the pre-Broadway preview showing here in Chicago. Loved it. Hope you are doing well and all healed (up to this point). Aren't we glad we're on this side of it all?!
I am so glad to have read your post of your journey! I, too, will be a slower healer...and the low salt diet is a total killer. blah, blah, blah....to be able to go out, to the store, anywhere!!! I am day 10 post op and have done nothing of the things I said I would--organize pictures, clean up computer, read War and Peace, etc....but, I am trying to stay patient. Patience. I have told no one about my surgery except my husband, so that is hard to avoid people for weeks on end. It is too hot outside to do anything there so I feel like I get a pass for that. I am not sure I would opt for this again, however. This is rufffffffff! But, on the other hand, if any of my other friends decide to do something like this, I can give them my opinions..and help...so they can make an educated decision as well. You look great!!!!! All of your persistence has paid off!
I can only reiterate: this process takes way longer than we think. I don't know why that didn't sink in beforehand. I read about it from other reviews. But we always think we will be a fast healer, one of the ones that have NO problems at all and breeze right through. I didn't go anywhere I would know anyone for three weeks. Even at a month or five weeks I didn't feel comfortable. You will get there. Just have patience, patience, patience. My facial swelling took almost 2 months to go down completely and now waiting for neck to get right. So hang in there, we understand.
Yes, you are right. I initially figured it would be a slow process, but it seemed not so much closer in. I actually have worked for a ps so I saw lots of surgeries, but it is different when you are on the receiving end. I do know now that my bruising is atypical....I saw my ps yesterday and he did say that, more than most. I got all of my stitches out, except for one I can now feel behind my ear!, and that did make me feel better. I thought I looked better today, but took a few photos, and not so much! So, it is now day 13. More swollen today than yesterday, but I might have had a meal with a tad bit of salt, as I have not been ingesting salt when I can avoid it. I also slept with my head at about a 25 degree angle instead of my usual (since surgery) 90 degree angle. Makes a difference. My left ear is still red, but slooooowwwwlllly fading away. So, we sit, rest, drink water and such. Thanks for all the support, everyone!
You look wonderful and so natural! Your eyes look beautiful too. It looks like you had perfect lips before surgery! Lucky you. I guess the longer the neck is tight the longer the result will last maybe? Thanks for the review. You are helping many of us still in the early stage of recovery.
You look great - thanks for the good review!!!!!
Hang in there --- really month four is the best!!!
You look great and very natural. You are 2 weeks ahead of me, I never realised full recovery would take so long. But it really is worth it. Bit of an emotional roller coaster though isn't it?
You look terrific and very natural!! I'm in the "average speed healer" group with you... starting to get a bit of feeling back in my right earlobe... but may be close to sleeping on a regular pillow (instead of the travel pillow to take pressure off the ear) again.
You Look Great!!!!!
I am also now at nearly 9 weeks post op and have the same thing with behind my ears and down into my neck. And the band up through the middle of my neck is still so tight. My incisions are still quite tender and I am still putting off getting my hair highlighted as I can't bear to think of someone getting too rough with the back of the neck. But....I can deal with it all. Its certainly bearable. And....you look absolutely wonderful!!
I can actually feel a suture with my finger on both sides from behind the ear heading down into the neck. I believe my swelling has subsided and it is the suture that is still tight and not yet absorbed. BUT I WISH IT WOULD HURRY. Can't wait to wake up with no ear or neck pain. I'm wondering if sleeping on my ears is causing it to take longer--but I can't sleep on my back. So, time will tell. Hope yours gets better soon.
Thank you for sharing your journey. You look amazing an fit helps to know that this surgery is not an overnight recovery for everyone. I'm very much surprised at the pain and my hair is full of dried crusted blood. It's itchy and driving me crazy. I had surgery wed but I'm not allowed to shampoo my hair until Sun! Yikes how will I ever get the knots and blood out?
Wow wow....looking so young and stunning!
Thank You, so much for stopping, by my page...You Look amazing...Thank You for your in-depth, review, How helpful... Again, Your reslutts are stunning,,
Goodness is that really you? You look fantastic.
Thank you for your fantastic updates! Your transformation is remarkable!
You look beautiful! And I've been going through much the same reality check on my own timeline. We'll get there... :)
YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE!