Best Decision of my Life - Chicago, IL

Why I chose Dr. Kim? Second diagnosis of...

Why I chose Dr. Kim?

Second diagnosis of early stage breast cancer 6 years a part. My mastectomy was May 19, 2011. I knew what to expect visually, but I had no idea what to expect for after care. First 3 weeks were difficult in terms of arm movement, sleeping and bathing. However, I returned to work in 3 weeks! After my surgeon performed the mastectomy, Dr. Kim came in and installed expanders which were placed under the chest muscle. No pain or discomfort really, only what I would describe as tightness. These expanders were filled weekly which was no great concern either. Visually my breast shape was not attractive....yet; uneven and flaps of skin were still present with stitches and scarring under my armpits. I was assured everything would stretch and even out...it did and beautifully! For the expansion visits, the nurse would clean the area to be injected and slowly fill the expander with saline. This went on until we were comfortable with the size I wanted to be (about 2 months). Because I had radiation on the left side back in 2005, that muscle wouldn't stretch as far limiting the ultimate size. September 26, 2011, was the exchange surgery which means, the expanders were taken out and my new healthy silcone implants were installed. I couldn't wait to get home that same day to see them. When I finally could remove the bandage, I stared in the mirror in astonishment! They were wonderful!

8 weeks later, Dr. Kim created the nipple area during an outpatient visit, but under heavy anesthesia (which today I consider a work of art). 2 months after that procedure, the areola was tattooed; they look amazingly natural too. I can confidently tell you, it was worth every tear as I emotionally traveled through the various stages of adjustment (a) for how I looked, (b) for the loss of feeling around the area, and (c) what my husband would think. This was the best decision of my life. I wish I had been granted this surgery back in 2005. I am confident in my future and grateful for my new healthy "girls".
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Kim's credentials speak for themselves. I too am a huge fan of Dr. Kim and his staff. My experience with Dr. Kim and his staff is one that has exceeded my expectations in terms of expertise, kindness, genuine concern and professionalism. Two brilliant surgeons at Northwestern Memorial Hospital were recommended to me after my mastectomy. I saw Dr. Kim first with the idea of meeting the other surgeon as a second opinion. I came to the appointment rather apprehensive because I didn't know what to expect. After 35 minutes of talking with Dr. Kim and his assistant, Ashley, I was so taken in by his kindness, warmth and confidence that I cancelled and never saw the other surgeon nor did I seek any second opinion whatsoever. Almost a year later, I am beyond pleased with the results. He and his staff gently guided me through the process of reconstruction and patiently answered my questions and addressed my concerns. Today, I am healthy and I look amazing. I thank Dr. Kim's expertise, his kind thoughtful words of encouragement and his sweet gentle nature for helping me feel and look as great as I do today. I would equally have to applaud his staff and express my heartfelt gratitude for their kindness, warm hugs, humor (when I needed it) and professionalism. I confidently urge anyone seeking a true professional to meet Dr. Kim and his staff. My gratitude is beyond measure.