31 Years Old, Stubborn Fat on Stomach, Tumescent Lipo of the Stomach with Fat Transfer to Breasts - Chicago, IL

My back story- I am 3 weeks out from my procedure....

My back story- I am 3 weeks out from my procedure. I am 31 years old, 5'4", 130 pounds and have had 1 child who is now 20 months old. I have never had any form of plastic surgery. After having my son, my breasts went from a 36 D (pre-pregnancy) to a 36 large B and have become deflated looking from breast feeding. I have NEVER had a flat stomach, EVER. I was 150 pounds when I got pregnant and I gained a lot of weight throughout my pregnancy and ballooned up to 210 pounds. In the last year, I have lost all of that and more (80 pounds total) and even though I have lost so much weight, not much came off of my stomach. Even after 6 months of doing ab workouts 4 days a week, my waist has only went from 39 inches to 34 inches.

After all of my hard work did not pay off like I had hoped, I decided that I had had enough of never being able to find pants that fit right (my legs are like a size 2 and my waist a size 5) and I started getting iLipo treatments. After I sunk $1000 into that, I was somewhat happy with the results. My waist went down to 31 inches, but after a few months, I am back in the same place at 34 inches. After researching multiple forms of invasive and non-invasive lipo, I have came to the conclusion that the only way I am going to get permanent results is to get the real deal and go with invasive lipo.

Last month I scheduled a consultation with Dr. Memar in downtown Chicago. Once I started talking to him, we decided it would be a better for me to have tumescent liposuction of my upper and lower abdomen, love handles and the area on my back on my bra line and then have the fat transferred to my breasts to try to get some volume back in to them. I went back in to meet with Dr. Memar last Saturday for my pre-op appointment and he discussed expectations with me. He said to expect some lumpiness in my breasts and that I should not expect this procedure to make my stomach flat which is surprising since all of the before and after pictures I have seen of women with stomachs similar to mine have shown excellent results. I am hoping he is under promising and will over deliver. I also understand that a lot of my results will depend on me following the after care instructions properly and keeping a straight posture. He wrote me prescriptions for vicodin for pain, a pill to fight infection, an anti nausea pill, a pill to help relax me the day of the procedure and a special anti-bacterial body wash to use the day before the procedure to help fight germs. I also got the information to order my garment (I already got it from Veronique). Now I am just anxiously awaiting the day to get here!

I am detailing my journey in hopes that it will help others as I have not been able to find much detailed information when researching this procedure. I will be as detailed and graphic as possible because that is the information I am looking for and can not find! I would love to hear from others who have had this procedure about what to expect during the procedure and what to expect afterwards. Any tips for aftercare would be helpful too! I am also happy to answer questions for anyone who is thinking about getting this procedure!

Less than a week away!

I am getting pretty nervous about the procedure now that I am closer to getting it done. I am obviously also excited at the same time. I went to Victoria Secret and got a comfy pair of sweatpants and a loose shirt last night to wear the day of (semi-annual sale). I wish I could have bought a few bras since they are so cheap but I wasn't sure what size to buy! A few questions I have for ladies that have had this done:

1. My doctor said he could give me ketamine for nerves- has anyone else gotten this? What was your experience like?

2. Did you have to remove your nail polish? It is not on my pre-op instructions and I am only getting local anesthesia.

3. Did you bring anything into the OR with you? Like an ipod, socks etc?

4. I have a few stretch marks from when I was pregnancy and I read somewhere that if you have stretch marks then you don't have much elasticity in your skin. Now I am worried I am going to have saggy skin where I get the lipo. Did anyone end up with saggy skin?

If anyone could give me their feedback on experiences you have had with any of these topics I would really appreciate it!!

Getting Ready!

I am waiting to go in and start my medicine and I am getting really nervous! I am super excited too! I will post an update with my pre-op and post-op pictures as soon as I am able!

3 days post op

Here are my pre op and 3 days post op pictures for comparison. Sorry it took me a while to post them but today is the first day that I have felt up to it. I am definitely VERY swollen in these pictures but I could see a difference right after I had it done. My breasts look more full and my waist is definitely slimmer so i am really happy with the results so far. I will post more at 1 month post op.

As for the procedure, it went much better than I had anticipated. I went to the doctors office at 1 and he marked me up and then his nurse gave me the vicodin and Lorazepam to help me get relaxed. At 3 they took me back to get started and at the time I didn't feel like I was completely relaxed (which I now know I was!) so the doctor gave me a shot of something to further sedate me and I don't remember much after that. I remember certain parts like when he was injecting the tumescent fluid into my stomach, a point where he was lipoing my back bra area and a few times he was injected the fat into my breasts. I do not remember feeling pain. Next thing I knew, my husband was in the room and then the nurses took me out to the car. I slept the whole way home and through the night. When I started to get pain was the next day when the numbing fluid started to wear off. The fluid drained out of me most of the night so you want to have dark towels and puppy pads laid out on the places you will be laying. I took my pain meds every 8 hours, and they seemed to control my pain. It's more of an achy feeling lIke what you get after doing a hard workout.

I had my post op appt 2 days later and the doctor said he was very happy with my results. He got 400 ccs of fat out and injected that between my breasts. He said i have to wear my garment all the time for 3 months and then 12 hours a day for another 3 months which sucks because it is so uncomfortable but I can live with it :) He also gave me the go ahead to take a shower and let me tell you it felt like heaven!

Dr. Memar and his staff were nothing short of AMAZING and I would highly recommend him to anyone in the Chicagoland area. He was so caring with me and even texted my husband a few times a day before my follow up appt to make sure I was comfortable and to check in which I thought was incredible!

I am 6 days post op today and am still swollen and still in a little pain but I also went back to work yesterday and have probably been overdoing it. I have a follow up appt in a month and I will update at that point!
Chicago Dermatologist

I have been VERY happy with Dr. Memar's professionalism thus far and he has really made me feel at ease about the procedure. He was also very open to answering any questions I had and gave me detailed answers.

You look great. Please keep us posted. I see your doc is a dermatologist. Is he also a plastic surgeon & has he done a lot of fat transfers. COngrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes he is and yes he has! I loved him and I will absolutely use him again in the future!
I'm so glad you're procedure went well and your feeling good! I am so amazed that you have no bruising!!! Your pictures look great and I'm excited to see your updates.
Good luck! Looking forward to following your progress x
Good luck!!!!
Welcome to RS! I have not had that problem but I'm here to congratulate you! Best wishes!
congrats on your weight loss can't wait to see your post op pics.
Thanks!
I'm reading all of these posts, and I'm thinking your procedure is not going to be as intense as some because you are not having implants removed!? Right?? There is definitely pain, but I didn't have bleeding or leaking. I laid a towel under me the first night, but never had any issues. I was on Norco for pain took it the day of surgery and the next two days. I set an alarm on my phone to take it in the middle of the night. I was told you don't want to miss a dose. The other really handy thing for me was smooth move tea, it helps with constipation, and worked wonderfully! They office gave me one compression garment and one surgical bra. I bought another compression garment (from the office because it was nice and comfy) so I could switch off for washing, and I bought a package of Genie bras from target. Those are super nice, but I would wait to see what size you will need. I also had no appetite the first four days so I bought several protein bars to have by my bed. The doctors office gave me a med for nausea, it was a sticker they stuck behind my ear and it was good for three days, I was super nauseous when I came out if surgery, but once I had that it was gone and never dealt with it again. I could find out what that was if you're interested. If I think of more tips I'll post later.
Thank you for the information Lola! No, I am not having implants removed. How long did you wear your compression garment? I was told I have to wear it for 3 weeks but it seems like most people on here are out of it within a few days. Did you wear your genie bra under it? Did you have the tumescent lipo procedure where you are awake or were you under anesthesia? Thank you for your help!
OMG I just read your blog and your results are AMAZING! I am more excited than ever now, because your body before is very similar to mine. Dr. Memar said he was going to take fat from my upper and lower abdomen, my love handles and my bra line but I am going to ask him to take from my thighs too- your legs look great! What is your bra size now that the swelling has gone down?
Thank you! I'm super happy with my results. I'm still wearing a 32 DDD, it's a tiny bit gappy along the top once I'm settled in, but I've tried a DD and it's just way too small. I had traditional lipo, whatever that's called?! I was knocked out with general, my sister works for my PS and she said lipo was not a procedure you wanted to be awake for, and I'm glad I wasn't. I watched some of those videos when the patient is under twilight too, before I knew what my PS did. My compression garmet started just above my belly button and went down to right below my knees. I was told I could take it off after the first couple of weeks, but encouraged to wear it longer because it helps hold stuff in place while you heal. I actually liked wearing them, it was kind of comforting. I wore the compression pants for four weeks, 24/7 except for showers of course, then wore them just at night for another two! I probably over did it, but no ripples or bulges here!!! So as for the genie bras, I wore those in place of the surgical bra that I wore home from my procedure. I wore the surgical bra for the first week and then switched over to the genies. They are just super soft and very supportive. Can't wait to follow your procedure. I know a lot if women on hear complain about the scars from the lipo incisions, my PS only used two, one on each hip bone, just make sure you know where your marks are going to be. The scars aren't big, but they will be noticeable if they aren't placed right. Especially if you're going to show off your new body in a bikini!!!!
Is the Genie bra constricting? Does it put any pressure on the breasts? I'm still wearing my 32D bra with the cups cut out so they won't constrict my breasts in any way.....you're smart never to have gotten those nasty implants. They really ruin the breasts--especially when they rupture.
No, the genie bra is not constricting. They are supportive. Others on Real Self have recommended them too.
I actually just got the genie bra 2 pack today at bed bath and beyond and they are great! They have the support of a regular bra but have a lot of stretch and are super soft. I am currently a 34 c or 32 d and I needed the large size.
Depending on how much fat is being injected and your swelling that may not fit after your procedure. I needed the large after my procedure, before my procedure I was a 34 B.
How many days were you in pain? When did you go back to work? I am off for 4 days after my procedure and I am wondering if it is enough...
I don't work outside of the home. I had help with the kids (5 & 2) for seven days. I felt pretty good, just slow and tired, on day 8. I don't think four is enough, I'd give yourself at least a week!
Ask for the stronger narcotic, Percocet, for pain, and Zofran for nausea. This procedure HURTS. And Vicoden won't cut it! Believe me. But don't fear, "No Pain, No Gain" is true in this aspect---but also remember that pain is transient--it's WORTH it......................I just had this same procedure done on May 15 (with a few more twists--check out my blog).......I also posted lots of advice on another gal's blog of things to buy beforehand. I'll do that for you too, as you probably wouldn't think of these things.................. Also, buy a seamless girdle (Spanx?) that you can wear after you get sick of your HUGE compression garment. My surgeon's nurse told me to stop wearing my compression garment because the zippers can leave permanent marks (because the skin is so malleable after lipo). Unfortunately I then wore underwear to bed and the elastic band left an indentation that won't go away. It's HORRIBLE, but luckily I still have to go back for phase 2 of my procedure, in which case my surgeon can fix that. But since you will probably have this procedure done once, don't make my mistake! So go out and buy several maxi dresses, you can wear after surgery, which don't have waist bands--and plan on going commando (no undies) for several weeks-months.............Last, like other gals are hinting at, your surgeon should be able to give you hopes that a whole cup size of fat will survive (30% usually dies). From someone who has had plastic surgery more than once, you want to make sure this guy is extremely skilled in AFT to breasts. He may be nice and charismatic, but what you NEED is a skilled artist. It's worth it to pay more money and have the procedure done right the first time. Take it from someone who knows, as I'm sure many other women here can attest........We're rooting for you, Honey.
Thank you so much for this information! It is so kind of you to help me out! I will definitely take your advice and get spanx and maxi dresses- that makes complete sense. I will ask him for a percoset prescription. I already filled my vicodin, so I am not sure if I can get another one. I actually already read your review, and it was the reason I wanted to blog about my procedure! You were so in depth that it helped me get alot of questions answered that I did not think to ask the doctor. I have a few follow up questions for you if you don't mind: 1. I saw you had a lot of drainage- do you think I am ok having dark grey towels to lay on or should I go get black ones? 2. Were you awake for your procedure? If so, did you have any pain while they were doing it? Any tips to make it more comfortable for me? 3. How long was it until you saw results? Thank you so much for your help!
I just wasted hours looking for coupons that didn't exist and wasted expensive ink, printing coupons I don't need. So I'll have to give you a more in depth answer later.................Whatever the color of towels, just know that they might get stained. Oxy clean has peroxide, which helps to remove blood stains, but no matter what lies companies spew, peroxide is NOT color safe. How do you think Marilyn Monroe got her blonde hair? (Can you tell I'm still pissed about my time and ink that was wasted? Grrrr)........Darn straight you better not be awake. Some Canadian woman just blogged about her doc having to stop the procedure before he could transfer her fat into her breasts because she was in so much pain! Talk about malpractice. (I've heard of doctors having their patients stay in a slightly awake mode so they can turn over during lipo. But those patients for sure received localized analgesic).........And ask for a cocktail of Zofran, Benedryl, & Dexamethasone (small amount of Dex- its a steroid) to be administered with the anesthesia to help keep you from getting nauseas.......I also got a good antiemetic after my foot surgery that helped with pain--different than Zofran. I'll look for the bottle and post that later.....Benadryl also helps with the itchiness and middle of the night strange alertness/sleeplessness (ask your doc's permission first)........And go buy disposable or washable bed liners for bed-wetters......I'll add more later. I hope I didn't repeat myself sorry if I did......Oh. And I'm looking MUCH better, though still scary to my children. I'll update my post as soon as I write my horrible return journey story.....You couldn't even begin to imagine.....Oh my....
ALSO.........Take 2 Percocets with a Zofran every 4 hours, during the first 3-5days (don't even try to wait til the sixth hour) unless you don't need it. I didn't realize I could take more than one Percocet until the worst of it was over. OMGsh---I SURE could have used the extra pain relief!.......Narcotics are highly addictive; so only take what you need.....And it's not like you'll be in chronic pain and will be on these drugs for a long time. But allow yourself to use the maximum amount prescribed when you're feeling your worst. It will help you to sleep and thus heal. There's no reason to suffer. Just make sure you keep a notebook and pen beside you with your phone so you can keep track of how many you take and when. If you don't trust yourself, have your helper keep tabs. But for sure she or he won't be awake when you are--and it's 3am, you're in pain and you have to pee but you can't even get up....Now I better get to bed because I'm still healing!
That sucks about your coupons! Thank you for all of the advice! I am having the tumescent lipo procedure so you are awake (but heavily medicated) and they only use local anesthesia with the tumescent fluid. I watched someones youtube video of their procedure and it looks pretty nerve wrecking (although it appeared she really didn't know what was going on from the medication she was on).
I am the Canadian woman and I was awake and I did ask them to stop because of my adverse effect from the medication. It is nerve wrecking and completely emotional. Just be prepared for the emotional if it comes because I was not! And I chose to take it easy in the pain meds after because I am at home with my daughter and I could not be wrecked from pain killers to be present with her. My doctor was amazing, I had close to no bruising from my lipo and hardly any on my breasts. I pray that your procedure goes well and you love the results!
Hi tammyrose! I have a few questions that I have not gotten any feedback on and since you had the same procedure as me, can you tell me if you have any comments on any of these? 1. Did you get a shot of ketamine for your nerves? 2. Did you have to remove your nail polish? 3. Did you take anything in the OR with you like an ipod etc? 4. Did you end up with saggy skin? Thanks!