Fat Transfer to Breast - Chevy Chase, MD

I have always been pretty flat chested and have ...

I have always been pretty flat chested and have wanted to increase my breast size for as long as I can remember. I suppose I was a 32AA, but I have never worn anything but padded bras, which I usually purchased in a 32A or B size. My breast size increased modestly when I breastfed my children, but even then I had to wear the smallest nursing bras available (usually 34B) and even those became big after a while. Overall I am a pear shaped. My hips are not big but my shoulders and ribs and breasts are small so I did not look very proportional. The largest part of me was the tops and backs of my thighs. I have to admit I felt unfeminine because of my flat chest.

To be honest, I had reservations about plastic surgery for a few reasons. First, I know deep down that changing my appearance is not the most important key to true joy and peace (though it can be a nice boost). So I decided to work on some other issues in my life that were more important in the long term, and I am glad I did. Second, I felt uncomfortable with the idea of breast implants. I just wasn't sure I wanted something foreign inside of me, and I wasn't sure I wanted the commitment of upkeep (having more surgery down the road). I would never say never--but I had enough doubts about implants that I decided it wasn't for me at this time.

I finally went to see Dr. Khalifeh shortly before I turned 40. I was nervous about seeing a plastic surgeon. Even after having 3 kids I wasn't crazy about stripping down for another doctor! But Dr. Khalifeh was great. He was approachable, down to earth, and easy to talk to. He didn't belittle my reservations about implants though I am sure he performs plenty of those procedures. He was confident that I could achieve a better overall shape (less pear) and more breast fulness with thigh lipo and fat transfer. He was realistic about the gains I would make--a cup to a cup and a half. His overall approach seemed conservative and realistic. So I decided to go for it!

The procedure itself was uncomfortable but manageable. The first two days are the worst in terms of pain. But each day after that I felt that I was improving. Wearing the garments was a challenge in the summertime though! The bruising on my thighs was very prominent for almost 3 weeks and then diminished rapidly. The swelling took a while, but most of it was gone in the first 3-4 weeks.
My breasts were huge right after the procedure. It almost looked like I had gotten implants:) They lost some of the fulness during the first 6-7 weeks. I haven't noticed much change since then unless I gain and lose weight--they do get a little bigger when I put on a few pounds now.

For me, this procedure was worth it. Even though my breasts are still not very big, I appreciate the growth and extra fat there. It just feels different and a bit more womanly. I think I gained a 1 1/2 cups (AA to small B). My thighs look pretty good, too. I like that I look less pear-ish. I have noticed that when I gain some pounds, though, it goes to my tummy/sides now and not my thighs...so you have to keep being careful with your weight. The fat you gain will just end up in a different place:)

The only thing I would have changed is to have done my inner thigh and outer thigh separately so I could do two fat transfer procedures. Dr. Khalifeh had actually suggested this but I wanted only one thigh recovery and thought I could just do it again with another part of my body. That is possible, but I realize now that you have to be careful with the number of areas you lipo.

If you are considering this procedure, my advice is to 1. find a doctor with experience with fat transfer (I highly recommend Dr. Khalifeh), 2. avoid the summer months because of the garments you will have to wear, and 2. consider splitting up lipo procedures so you can do the fat transfer twice for more enhanced results.
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Khalifeh is great. He is kind and down to earth. He listened well and was very realistic about what I could and could not achieve with the lipo/fat transfer. He has a lot of experience which is crucial in achieving a nice aesthetic result.The office staff was very supportive and responsive, as well. No complaints.

Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in having a fat transfer to my breast. Did you experience any lumps in your breast?
yes, but only for a matter of weeks. i think i had only two "hard" spots and they resolved within a month, i believe.
Thank I've been researching a lot of doctors, I've been trying to decide if I want to travel to NC or have the surgery here in MD. How long did it take for you to fully recover? Can you post before and after pictures of your results?
If I am remembering correctly, my breasts felt better quicker than my thighs. The breasts are sore at first and I had some mild bruising and a few harder spots that resolved on their own relatively quickly. But the pain from liposuction was greater and took longer to subside. I was pretty functional, though, by day 3--just a bit slow getting in and out of the car. Each week brought a lot of improvement, and by 4 weeks the bruises on my legs were gone and I only had occasional sensations of pain in a few spots. Swelling takes longer to resolve but the major swelling was greatly diminished less around 3 weeks. Working on before pics--didn't take any personal ones--so I will try to get them from the doc.