31 Year Old Breast Cancer Patient with Bilateral and Expanders

Dealing with BC, chemo, radiation and a bilateral...

Dealing with BC, chemo, radiation and a bilateral changes you mentally and physically. I chose to have reconstruction because I hoped to look like my old self in clothes. Although the reconstruction process was long, I now have 2 "breasts" and I feel very comfortable my new figure. Every Breast Cancer patient is different. I am happy that I was able to go the expander to implant route at my stage in life. Overall, this path has less recovery time and less restrictions.
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

I love Dr. Gurley and her staff. I can't say it enough. Many times, reconstruction has complications. We hit a few stumbling blocks along the way. My lowered immune system caused a problem after my bilateral with expanders surgery. We took the problematic expander out while I healed and it was eventually replaced when my body was ready. My health is her priority. She set me up with wonderful Occupational and Physical Therapists. She sincerely has my best interest at heart. She worked very hard to reach this point so that I would have the outcome I wanted in a safe and healthy time frame. When we were able to place the expander and then swap for implants, she was ecstatic for me. I am feeling great and very happy about my appearance. I would recommend her to anyone, especially breast reconstruction patients. She was incredibly understanding, educated, and caring during a very tough time in my life.

Thank you for sharing your story and doctor review with us on RealSelf. I'm glad your doctor made your overall health priority for you even though it may have extended the length of your reconstruction process. Glad to hear you are feeling great about your appearance. Congratulations on being cancer free! ;)