Chemical Peels Don’t Work on Me

I have oily skin (bad genes) and have dealt with...

I have oily skin (bad genes) and have dealt with acne for most of my life. I spent my teen years till my 30s trying to find a regimen that would help my skin and keep me from breaking out. I’ve never had a lot of money to spend on it but I never outgrew the acne. I have started doing regular at-home peels to clear up acne scars. I use a glycolic solution because my skin does not react well to TCA. But I have not had favorable results. I cleanse the area well first and then apply the peel. I have tried several kits but they all seem about the same, concentration levels don’t matter, etc. I am glad I don’t get the burning and scabbing that some people report but I can’t report much success either. The peel burns when it’s on but when I remove it the skin never seems to go brown and peel off. I have begun doing this more frequently and with stronger solutions but nothing works. I think my skin has been toughened by years of acne and products. Some friends online have recommended I go to a dermatologist for a “real” peel as they call it but I just can’t afford to do this right now. But if it gets much worse, i.e. if I have to use so many kits to get a good result, I might consider it. I will need to save up a little first and I am turned off by it too. At this point I am not sure anything will give me the results I’m after.

That is what I said.
Hi I'm an aesthetician and just wanted to let you know that if you have oily skin then you should really stay away from glycolic peels. Try the BHA group of peels like salicylic or even pumpkin enzyme. Also look for the PH of your peel it should be 3.0 or below for proper penetration and effect. And, after the peel make sure to use multivitamin or EGF serum to ensure that you properly nourish the skin. If you do not nourish the skin you may as well not even do the peel. I hope this helps!!!
For your skin, Beta Hydroxy Acid peels would be more efficacious than Alpha Hydroxy Acids. Salicylic or Pumpkin would be the first place, if I was treating your skin, that I would go.