51yo Female Short Scar Lower Facelift & Necklift - Chatswood, AU

My neck had sagged considerably after weight loss...

My neck had sagged considerably after weight loss and a previous surgeon's attempt using thread lift and liposuction. I am fair and have fine skin, and felt that my neck was ageing me faster than the rest of my face despite having reasonably good skin for my age . Dr Gerarchi also recommended a short scar facelift. I had one night in hospital and the procedure took approx 4-5 hours. I am only about 7 weeks out but already very pleased with the results. The scars are healing very nicely as incisions were carefully done and stitched. It was uncomfortable with all the head bandages and drains in hospital but was prepared for this as I'd had a breast reduction some years before. Wearing the chin strap continually for 3 weeks was tiresome but necessary. After that you wear the chinstrap at night for 4-6 weeks. This is ok. There was bruising but not as much as I expected. I followed all pre and post operative instructions very carefully. I do look younger but not in a weird way. Some people say I look "well" or "refreshed". Those who know what I've had done say I look 5-10 years younger. There is still some numbness down the sides of the face and under the neck and chin area feels "tight" - but not unbearably. I knew this would be the case but assume that as time goes on this will improve. I did a lot of research on the internet prior to this procedure and had been contemplating it for 3-4 years.

Photos necklift , lower face short scar

These are before and afters - keeping in mind it's only 7 weeks since the procedure,
I'm thrilled. I also forgot to mention that facial physio sessions and lymphatic drainage / massage
is also recommended by a suitable practitioner. It helps with post operative swelling and you learn to give your face a massage yourself, when cleared by your Surgeon.
Sydney Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr Paul Gerarchi is a very experienced surgeon. I chose him because not only is he a plastic surgeon for aesthetics but has done corrective and reconstructive work for people born with defects or a result of illness or accident. He is very approachable and easy to talk to, he asks what your own expectations are and advises realistically within that context. He doesn't push his ideas on you or does a hard sell. He is very patient and sensitive. (I figured anyone who does corrective surgery in third world countries is a good guy!) Initially I was only going to have the neck lift but he suggested a lower face lift also. He didn't push it but more or less left me to consider it. I wanted an honest professional opinion as I was scared of having a facelift as well. When I realised that the short scar could be easily incorporated into the neck lift I decided to do both. He assured me I wouldn't look like one of those freaky wind blown stretched faced women with weird ears! The two procedures together made good aesthetic sense. I'm glad I went ahead with this, and very satisfied so far at this point of post surgery. Dr Gerarchi's Staff at Chatswood are lovely ladies, very approachable, professional yet fun. They made me feel relaxed and looked after. It's a big deal doing this sort of thing, and my decision was made after thinking and researching long and hard. I also had peri orbital fillers and some fillers on my cheekbones. I have only shown my lower face as I wished to maintain my anonymity. I would recommend Dr Gerarchi and his team to anyone who wants a professional outcome. Some other practitioners may be less expensive, or experienced but when it comes to your face, there should be no compromise. I had a friend who had this procedure by a "cosmetic cowboy" - and endured a severed facial nerve and a lot of grief. All surgery has risks, and yes, you do sign off on this, but choose the very best professional you can, and your chances of a great outcome are greatly increased.

You look fantastic. I am having a similar procedure done in San Diego. I am also 51 and if mine turns out like yours, I will be very happy. I am travelling from Australia to have my surgery. It's half the price
Hi Murphy Honey. You're going to US? Are you buying health insurance? Is it cheaper still factoring in your airfare, accommodation and recovery time? Have you met your surgeon? What qualifications has he/she? I would be hesitant about going offshore to save money, however, good luck with it, hope you give yourself time before you get back on the plane due to clots etc. I hope you get the result you want and everything goes smoothly and you look and feel fabulous afterwards ;-)
Thank you. I know it's a risk and I can't get insurance for it but you can't in Australia either. But I am healthy not having a general anesthetic and stating nearly 3 weeks so fine to fly. It's amazing what the difference in price compared to here. It's almost half the price. And the surgeon is very well regarded from my research. Not sure if I'm allowed to name him. And my husband and I will have a holiday. Bit that I can show my face too much. I'm also having laser resurfacing.
Murphy, I'm sure you can name your doctor. The more info we have the better informed our decision making process imo. Good luck on your procedures, I hear the laser is a pretty lengthy recovery, but makes a world of difference.
Hi MurphyHoney, you're not having a general? Ok. I had a neck lift and lower short scar so I had to have general. That makes your situation a little bit easier ... Even so, make sure you meet your surgeon ahead of the planned date and see if you still feel comfortable with your choice. Remember, you don't have to go through with it, if you are unsure. I have a dear friend who had twilight sedation for a lower face lift and got her facial nerve severed, resulting in long lasting damage and took the doctor to court. She saved money too but paid for it dearly in the end. Not wanting to make anyone nervous - however do your research thoroughly. Make sure they have the proper facilities, qualifications and board certification. See the results from other patients. Have several meetings before you commit. Laser resurfacing is also going to put you offline for a while from what I gather and you will look very red / burnt from what I understand. I assume you will have travel insurance, but not sure if it will cover you for any additional expenses. Assume you are a non smoker too. Good luck with it all and enjoy your "holiday". You won't be able to stay in the sun so make sure you have a headscarf, big glasses, bit wide brimmed hat etc. Happy travels !
Thank you very much for all your advice. The doctor is dr Roy David from San Diego. I first saw him on the doctors and he does this neck lift called the la jolla lift. Under twilight. I got on this forum by researching him. So I'm pretty happy with the reviews. As I said I'm very healthy, don't smoke and will come prepared with a wide brimmed hat etc. and no one will see me that I know for three weeks.
Well good luck with it all, here's to a super outcome ....just do everything the doctor advises, hope you have stopped your fish oil, aspirin and all those sorts of drugs prior to procedure, hopefully he has given you pre and post operative things to follow. Tell yourself to be patient when recuperating and all will be revealed. Be sure to post your before and after pic here, we hope to be sharing in your happy outcome. Cheers, SalmonCakes
My surgery not until February and yes I have all those instructions about fish oil and aspirin. Neither of which I take anyway. If I can work out by then how to post pictures I will certainly be doing that. And trust me I have been reading everything about the laser and the lift and I had read about the risk of nerve damage. It's amazing what we do to ourselves for eternal youth. But like you I need a fresher look. I have list 30kg of weight over the past 2 years and just look tired and drawn. I need this for my confidence
Great to hear you are well informed. Congratulations on shifting 30kgs that's a wonderful achievement - I had lost 25kg prior to my neck collapsing! I'm still trying to find a new job and also dating. At 51 I have yet to meet my life partner and didn't get to have a family. Sometimes it all feels too hard however these days I feel better when I look in the mirror and I'm sure the results will pay off sooner or later. I think everything we can do as women to increase our confidence and make us feel happier - without being obsessive or expecting unrealistic results - is ok in my book, provided we are sensible and make informed choices. Best wishes and thanks for sharing.
I agree completely. I am married - my husband doesn't agree with this but it's my decision. If I had children I probably wouldn't be so (for want of a better word) - selfabsorbed.
I am childless by circumstance - just never happened as I never got to the marriage stage with anyone, sadly. My last partner was emotionally abusive and it damaged my confidence especially re my neck. (that's why he's an ex boyfriend, lol!) Now I do look younger than most of friends with kids! I say do what makes you feel good. In life we need to make the most of our own circumstances and I say more power to anyone doing things that make them feel good. I was reading today about a UK lady who spent over over $200k making herself look like a caricature of herself. She is very overweight and has massive breast implants, and in my opinion looks horrendous, she definitely has some sort of body dysmorphia problem. That's the other end of the spectrum!
You look fabulous and so young! Congratulations on such a fine outcome. ~ SS
Thanks Ladies. Prior to surgery my face wasn't too bad until you got to under the neck / chin and slight jowling had started. My mother is 88 and still has pretty good skin, but even when younger, she would complain about the same area ! I did the surgery that she never dared to. So I think genetics play a part, to a degree. I don't smoke, don't sun bake and wear sunscreen and a hat when walking. I am in the highest risk factor for skin cancer due to my colouring. I am very pleased with my results because I think I look fresher, and as I am looking for a new job, helps me remain more competitive with the younger more aggressive GenY ;-(
"The surgery my mother never dared". So true, and that statement is a keeper. Thanks ~ SS
Yes I thought about that and I knew what I was in for if I didn't. Keep that sunscreen on ...out there in Arizona, greetings from Australia and good luck with it all.
Holy cow, fabulous results!! Thank you immensely for sharing. You look gorgeous (at least from the nose down. :) I'm sure you're gorgeous otherwise as well).
Did you have incisions under the chin? Having a short scar~ then you didn't have any incisions behind the upper ear nor in scalp behind the ear? Any idea what type of lift you had? Results are really great! grace
Hi Grace, yes I have an incision under the chin, in front of the ears, and behind the ears into the hairline. They are healing beautifully at 7 weeks, and I used silicon scar gel twice daily. I had a SMAS lower short scar facelift.
Looks fantastic! Looks like you have a lower facelift, too?
Hi do you have any photos to post,both before and after,would love yo see them .
posted this morning.
What a fantastic result,if mine is like yours at 7 weeks I will be really happy .