Horrible Experience - Charlotte, NC

I chose Dr. Graper to perform my Rhinoplasty in...

I chose Dr. Graper to perform my Rhinoplasty in December 2007. I wanted my nose to be shorter and to remove a tiny bump on the bridge. I had researched a lot on Rhinoplasty and researched a few surgeons in my area. Dr. Graper was the second surgeon I had a consolation with. I was very impatient and settled on Dr. Graper after seeing the computerized image of what my nose could look like. He took front and profile pictures, measured my nose and assured me that he could get close to what my nose looked like in the image. He has a very arrogant and dick-ish (sorry, only other word I could come up with) way about him. He seems to get irritated at any questions you have. I understand he is busy but I felt rushed and that I couldn't ask all the questions I wanted answered. I was young and naive and ready to get surgery over with. When I went for surgery, everything went fine. Recovery time was pretty rough. My mom had called Dr. Graper because she was concerned about something and he basically told her that he was on vacation and to call one of the nurses. When the splint was taken off, I was mortified. He repeated over and over again that I still had a lot of swelling and that it would go down. He said that he could do a revision, but I would have to wait a year for all of the swelling to go down. The swelling went down over time but after it was gone, my nose was the same length. He measured it after and said "Hm, it's the same length." The tip was bulbous when before it wasn't. It felt like he put extra cartilage at the end even though my nose was already long to begin with. The tip of my nose is still very hard. After 4 years I decided to go back to see if he could fix it. He denied everything he said to me when I went for my post op appointment 4 years earlier. Which I understand a lot of time went by but still. He told me he would do a revision for $800 at my post op, then when I went for my revision appointment he said he never said that and that it would be $1,200. Having already paid around $6,500, it was upsetting to have to pay another $1,200. He gave me a run around answer to every question I had about why my nose was still long, why it had a bulbous tip, why it was still hard, etc. He did tell me that he used something called a bird graft (I think thats what he said) which he stopped using shortly after my surgery because people were complaining about it. Hmm! After my revision consultation with how he talked to me, denied everything he said prior, etc I felt really devastated and hurt. All I wanted was a small normal nose. I spent so much money and went through all the pain for nothing and now I felt hopeless because I didn't want to go back to Dr. Graper. I struggled back and forth about whether or not to go back to Dr. Graper to have my nose fixed. I ultimately decided to due to financial reasons, I just couldn't afford to pay another $6,000. The surgery was a lot easier the second time around but the results were still not what I wanted. My nose is still long, and the tip is still bulbous and hard. Now, I'm looking for another surgeon to fix this one. Sigh. Bottom line, please do not go to Dr. Graper for Rhinoplasty. Save yourself the time, pain and money.
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your review. I can only imagine what it can feel lioe to go through paying all that, going through the process and then not like what you see. Sorry you went through that. I also went to a surgeon for consultation who seemed very arrogant. It almost seemed like questions bothered him so I backed down abit but I left feeling like he may be the kind of doctor that thinks he's never at fault for anything. I like the pictures of his work but I'm a bit skeptical. Thanks so much for your review. You will find a nice and good surgeon to give you the nose you want.
Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf!
I'm very sorry for your pain and suffering. I know how heart-breaking it is to go through so much only to feel horrified when you see the results. I'd love to see before/after photos of your surgeries, if you're willing to share. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Hoping things get better for you...hugs.
Thank you for sharing your story. It will help others make their difficult choices if they come. I truly hope that you find the right surgeon to give you the nose that you've waited for so long for.
Before I finished reading your story I thought she should not go back to the same surgeon. But unfortunately you did. I had my nose done many yrs ago and was not happy with results. I didnt feel comfortable to go back to the same dr. I also did not have money to see another surgeon. Well it has been more than 10 yrs and my nose is awful. Finally will get it done soon. I am really sorry and hope you find a skilled dr to fix your nose. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm so sorry about your nose. Thank you for sharing your story. I guess we should all trust our gut instincts and if someone is a jerk to us (especially on the first meeting), we should run the other way. Jerks are impossible to rehabilitate. Good luck - I've heard of some very competent, compassionate surgeons on this site. I hope you find one and that s/he is able to help you.