Wish I Had Done This Years Ago - Charlotte, NC

After many years of contemplating a breast...

After many years of contemplating a breast augmentation, I finally decided it was time. I am turning 45 next month and felt that if I was ever going to something for myself it should be now. I was a 34 B...barely and had recently lost a few pounds after starting running again and probably was an A but refused to wear that size. My breasts also had some sag that came after breast feeding my son and they never seemed to bounce back to their full B size and shape. After a few weeks of research, I made three appts for consults with three different plastic surgeons. I went to my first appt. in April of this year and walked out knowing that this was the doctor and surgical center for me. I cancelled the other two consults and set up my surgery for June 5, 2013. I decided to go for a full C, as I had started running again along with my regular workouts. I did not want to deal with breasts that felt too big or got in the way. After a long consultation with my physician, I chose a silicone implant that was placed sub facial, not under the muscle. I needed this type of implant and placement to get the lift I wanted as I was borderline for needing a breast lift. My surgery was scheduled for early that morning. After arrival, my nurse went through the entire procedure and what I could expect again. I also spoke at length with my plastic surgeon and the anesthesiologist as well. After being taken to the surgical suite, I remember meeting the other nurses and that was all. Next thing I knew I was in a recovery room with my nurse with ice packs and much larger breasts. I felt no pain at all and did not experience any pain throughout my recovery period. I did feel like I had done a thousand push ups and was very tender and swollen for the first few days. The swelling went down gradually over the first week and the tenderness has slowly faded over the past few weeks. I was released to begin running again in 10 days and was able to do it, though not quite as far as before and with new running bras. I was also able to start my other workouts after 10 days except for any type of weight lifting with my arms. At four weeks post surgery I was back to running three to four miles and lifting as I had prior to surgery. I found that getting out of bed and being unable to raise your arms above your head for 10 days to be the hardest part. You dont realize how often you need to reach for things. My youngest son is 11 and I didnt have to worry about lifting him, so dealing with everyday home life was relatively easy for me. I had my procedure on a Weds. and went back to work on that Friday. I was a little tired after work on Friday evening and probably would wait to go back to work on Monday if I did it again. Not because of any pain but just to get a little more rest. Im a side sleeper and for the first week they like for you to sleep on your back which made for some restless nights. I am now almost two months post surgery and coldnt be happier!!!!! I love my new breasts and wish I had done it years ago. They look fantastic and I got the fullness and lift I was hoping for, even more than I was hoping for actually. I am now a 34 C or D depending on the bra. For the first time in my life I can buy bras and bikinis without padding...it is wonderful!!!
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

My entire experience with Dr. Kortesis and his staff at the Hunstad-Kortesis Center has been incredible. From my first consultation to the surgery and the follow up visits, I have been nothing but pleased. Dr. Kortesis is so knowledgeable, caring and thoughtful. After my consultation, I felt he understood exactly what I was hoping to achieve with my procedure. Two months post surgery, my breasts are perfect. I could not have asked for better results. The lift he achieved with my implants and the size are exactly what I wanted. I would recommend him to everyone wanting to have this procedure.

Congratulations! I can't believe you were back at work 3 days post op. Sounds like you are back in action with your regular running routine and are enjoying your new look. Just curious though, what did your children say about the procedure? Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on RealSelf.

Thanks! i am still so happy with my results. My older children are grown and so there was no issue there. I just explained to my youngest that I had been unhappy with my boobs for awhile and that they changed as I got older and I wanted to get them looking better. He asked if they hurt and I said no that it was more of a wanting to look better kind of thing. He seemed fine with that and hasn't mentioned it since. Since he's just turned 11 he's not too concerned with how I look....lol so I'm not sure he would have even noticed if I hadn't told him. I did tell him this was a private family matter tho, so he wouldn't accidentally bring it up with his friends. Not that I mind telling people I had it done, but would rather not be the topic of discussion of 11 year old boys ;)

Good idea mentioning to your 11 year old that your procedure was a private family matter...you wouldn't want this discussed on the playground. :)  I'm sure he'll forget about it in a few days!

I am interested in what you said about going subfacial for extra lift. How does that work? I am also in my forties with similar issues. I went under the muscle out of fear of my skin thinning and showing ripples (I went with saline). I am considering revision and keeping my options open.
I'm not sure that the sub facial procedure actually helped with the lift. That's just what my ps calls the procedure he uses that is not under the muscle. He recommended that I do not go under the muscle and use a firmer implant so that I could get the lift I wanted without having to have a breast lift too. So far, it has been two months, I have not had any rippling. May happen later on but I hope not. And I definitely got the lift I was hoping for.
Wonderful! May be asking my PS about that.
I've been spelling my placement incorrectly it is subfascial. Sorry! The implant is placed under a thin but strong layer of connective tissue that covers the pec muscle. This placement helps to get some of the benefit of a sub muscular implant without the implant movement you get with under the muscle. Hope this helps a little.
             your right ii is such a nice feeling no having to wear push up bras anymore!
Yes it is! So great to go into a store and buy any bra you want :)
             its such a wonderful feeling! lol!
Congrats what size did u go with
Thanks! I am a little over 5'4 and weigh between 122-125 so I asked for a full C. I haven't been measured by anyone yet in a bra store, but the bras I have bought to wear and to run in have been 34C or 34D depending on the bra. Hoping to get officially measured next shopping trip. :)
I'm about your stats, how many cc's did you get?
I went with 375ccs. I was measured about three weeks ago for new bras. I am a 32DD...with bras at Victoria's Secret. One of my running bras measured out to 32D the other a DD. I'm thrilled with my results and size.