Melasma - Charleston, WV

Had Lumenis fractional co2 laser performed on Ja....

Had Lumenis fractional co2 laser performed on Ja. 8, 2011. I have melasma on my upper lip and cheeks. I was at an oral surgeon appointment, when his nurse noticed my brown spots. I researched and decided to have him do the co2 laser resurfacing after three consults with him. I was assured it was safe with 5-7 days of down time.

I followed the post procedure instructions religiously, and didn't notice any bad results until after two weeks. I have horrible hyperpigmentation around my mouth, and my melasma is worse. Be sure to have many consults before having this done and if you have sensitive skin, I wouldn't recommend it. I am now thinking of having a Jessner's peel, but I'm so scared of having worse hyperpigmentation than I do now!

Hi Anon,

Welcome to the Melasma Treatment community. Oh no! That's not good that you went in to get rid of your Melasma and came out with Hyperpigmentation. Did you go back and ask your doctor why that happened? I would suggest getting recommendations about whomever you choose for your Jessner Peel. Or are you going to the same person? Please keep us updated how everything goes.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

I am never going back to his office. As a matter of fact, I was issued a refund!! I had no intentions of a lawsuit, but I'm assuming that is the reason for the refund. He blamed the hyperpigmentation on my "skin type". I went to my dermatologist who recommended the jessners, but I have decided against it for now. I'm terrified of making it worse!! I went for another consult today, and upped my hydroquoinine from 4 to 6 percent, and had micro. I will keep you posted on my future. Thanks for your quick response!! I know there are so many things that could be worse for me healtwise, but I just want to be able to look at myself in the mirror again and not cry...

Just wanted to give an update regarding my battle...

Just wanted to give an update regarding my battle with melasma. I have decided to cancel my Jessners peel for now. I went to another doctor yesterday who I really like!! I told him I was apprehensive about having the peel done, and he agreed saying there is only a 50/50 chance of me having a positive outcome. I definitely don't want to make matters worse. I did have a new type of microdermabrasion performed while I was there, and I loved it!!!! Water is used along with the procedure, and even a massage after it's performed. I bought a new lotion with 6 percent hydroquonine instead of 4, and started using that last night. So I will stick with that for now and keep lathering on the sunscreen. I will keep you all updated, and please feel free to contact me with any questions.

I am sorry this happened to you. If you have not, please file a report with the FDA, via their adverse event report filing system. This might help protect others in the future. It is important to have an official record of these injuries so that they are documented. There is no time limit for filing the report. It is never too late to file.

Your name and the name of the doctor will not be on public display but only viewable by the FDA. If you reported this outcome to your doctor it was their obligation to notify the mfg, who was then supposed to file a report with the FDA but that does not always happen. Each patient still needs to file their own report with the FDA so you will have a voice and you can be sure the damage was reported and documented.

You can file the report online at this link below, just click the "Begin" button to the right. You will need the manufacturer and model (or at least that would be helpful) of device that harmed you.

I completely understand wanting to look like your old self again. That's great he gave you a refund, at least the money you spent on it is not a total loss and a worry. I'm also glad you are seeing a dermatologist, hopefully he can figure out something that will work to solve this. Please do keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

Mountain state oral

I feel like once I paid and had my procedure done, I was nobody.