Two Step Breast Reconstruction - Charleston, SC

In April, I underwent a prophylactic bilateral...

In April, I underwent a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with mapping and removal of my sential lymphnodes. I chose to do a two step reconstruction. Tissue expanders and then a changeout to permanent silicone implants. I also plan on doing nipple reconstruction.

So far, I am pleased with the experience. I have had a few issues that have come up since my changeout. I have a minor chest wall abnormality that has caused some issues with symmetry as well as symmastia. I also still have a mild amount of swelling that has not quite resolved. So basically I am in a holding pattern right now. My PS is on the same page with me about needing a revision. He feels we need to wait till I am six months out from reconstruction to allow for adequate healing. Quite honestly, waiting has been the worst part. Don't get me wrong. I have gone into this eyes wide open. I have no delusions of believing that this was going to be exact the first go around. But there was still a small part of me that had been hopeful.

Have any of you run into the issue of need for revision soon after reconstruction and if so, how long did you have to wait? Also, if anyone has experienced a symmastia and had corrective surgery for this, I would love to hear about your experience with the procedure and recovery.
MUSC Department of Plastic Surgery

I actually have an entire breast care team. I am thankful for their knowledge base and implementation of skill. MUSC prides itself on changing what is possible in healthcare. They have made this entire Journey such a reamarkable experience for me.