Two Step Breast Reconstruction - Charleston, SC

In April, I underwent a prophylactic bilateral...

In April, I underwent a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with mapping and removal of my sential lymphnodes. I chose to do a two step reconstruction. Tissue expanders and then a changeout to permanent silicone implants. I also plan on doing nipple reconstruction.

So far, I am pleased with the experience. I have had a few issues that have come up since my changeout. I have a minor chest wall abnormality that has caused some issues with symmetry as well as symmastia. I also still have a mild amount of swelling that has not quite resolved. So basically I am in a holding pattern right now. My PS is on the same page with me about needing a revision. He feels we need to wait till I am six months out from reconstruction to allow for adequate healing. Quite honestly, waiting has been the worst part. Don't get me wrong. I have gone into this eyes wide open. I have no delusions of believing that this was going to be exact the first go around. But there was still a small part of me that had been hopeful.

Have any of you run into the issue of need for revision soon after reconstruction and if so, how long did you have to wait? Also, if anyone has experienced a symmastia and had corrective surgery for this, I would love to hear about your experience with the procedure and recovery.
MUSC Department of Plastic Surgery

I actually have an entire breast care team. I am thankful for their knowledge base and implementation of skill. MUSC prides itself on changing what is possible in healthcare. They have made this entire Journey such a reamarkable experience for me.

After my implants were put in the left one migrated towards my armpit so I needed a revision surgery. My surgeon had me wait four months in case anything else was going to drop or move he wanted that to happen before he put me through another surgery. That made complete sense to me. I was lucky because in a bra I looked completely normal and the lateral migration was only noticeable without one
I am having a very difficult time finding a bra that I can comfortably wear right now. My right implant has dropped. The left hasn't. It is enough of a diference that wearing even a sports bra is impossible. This has created the symmastia in my opinion. I totally get what you are saying about taking care of everything at once. And I know my PS is right. Its just very uncomfortable with or without the bra. Not to mention its difficult to wear clothes and look normal. (Thank God I work in scrubs. No one looks good in those anyway.)
My problem was different from yours but I got lucky and found a good cheap bra that worked well for me. If you google "Danskin sports bra front closure" you will see it. they sell it at Walmart for about $12. I noticed that the back run small so while I am a 34 I did end up buying a 38. The cup runs big. I am a DDD but could fit in the D cup.I recommend trying it on before buying it. Good luck!