Dr. Hensel 2006 Breast Reduction Left Me with More Cons Than Pros - Charleston, SC

I had some back pain, bra digging in skin, and...

I had some back pain, bra digging in skin, and having a petite frame, with DDs it was a challenge to exercise. So my PCP recommended a breast reduction and TRICARE referred me to Dr. Hensel. Great guy but communication was poor, especially since he failed to inform me that he would be cutting all the way to my underarm for the breast reduction, which of course left a scar that is a challenge to conceal when wearing certain swimsuits and formal attire. Plus, the day of my surgery, he was an hour late. So the cutting that occurred during my October 2006 surgery, I still wonder if it was due to him being half asleep or rushing to get me done since he had another surgery that followed.

Despite the negative, I will say that 6 years later, my "girls" still look great despite the long uneven scars on each side that goes from by breast to my underarm. In addition, even after the breast reduction, I had a little girl and was able to nurse (breastfeed) her which for many is not guaranteed. And I should also add, even after nursing her, my breasts still look great. So if you are considering Hensel, don't just look at the front views of his breast reduction work pictures; look at the side view to see how far he cuts...me, it was to my underarm and I was not at all pleased with that, especially being an African-American woman prone to dark scarring. But since my surgery was back in 2006 with the breast reduction Dr. Hensel did, maybe he has since improved with new techniques and less cutting.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

I was referred to Dr. Hensel through Tricare. Because of my long scars and with me being a woman of color they are pretty dark and not appealing to look at plus he was late, an hour late, for my surgery.... so I can't help wonder to this day if he rushed because of the cutting all the way to my underarm on both sides and worse part, one of the cuts is shorter than the other so my scars are mismatched (frown).

Thanks for you review. It is unfortunate that he didn't discuss the procedure more thoroughly with you, but I'm thrilled to hear that 6 years out you are still happy you had the surgery and are still showing great results from it! That is encouraging to all of us!