CO2 Laser Full-Face Resurfacing - Champaign, IL

I wanted to have laser resurfacing done to correct...

I wanted to have laser resurfacing done to correct acne scarring that was generalized in my left and right cheek area. I consulted and had this procedure done in 2005. I thought I was ready to undertake something that had been bothering me for a very long time, and I borrowed money to do this. The sad thing about this is that some doctor's don't care that you are borrowing money or that you are trying to feel better instead of worse. They only care about your money. To give you some insight on my experience, please read........I am caucasian, but have a Native American heritage, which makes my skin without tanning an olive/yellow complexion. However, when I did tan, my complexion could become very tanned. In short, I am saying my skin had color. I was not a milky, white, fair complexion person, even without tanning.
I consulted in Champaign, Illinois. The doctor never mentioned to me that because I was of color that I would have adverse affects. Of course you sign paperwork that you could potentially have side-effects. However, in consultation he didn't ever tell me that what has happened would happen or that I was not a good candidate for this procedure.
My problems after full-face CO2 laser resurfacing.....a have hypo and hyperpigmentation in different areas of my face. The hypopigmented area is localized over most of my face, but I also have an area of demarcation in my right jaw line. I have dark circles around my eyes where the goggles had been placed. I have hyperpigmentation on my forehead and beneath my right eye area.
After going back to him to consult about correcting this, I was in the office manager's office when he came in and as we were talking, he looked at the office manager and said, "she was so young that I didn't think that I should do her eyes because she didn't have wrinkles or any problems." And, was going to charge me to correct his mistake. After that, I thought I need to eventually find someone who will know how to address me issue, which I haven't found yet. He didn't consider that my natural skin color would be darker and I would eventually look like a raccoon because he didn't laser closer to my eyes. Now, I cannot EVER tan. And, actually if I try to tan, it would be of no value because CO2 laser resurfacing kills most of the melanin in the skin, which is why it is contraindicated in people of color. If I do get in the sun, I immediately worry about hyperpigmentation.
Please don't have this procedure done if you have ANY color in your skin. It is not worth it. In fact, many times, I look at past pictures of myself, and I love the old pictures. What I see now is another story. I don't like taking photos anymore because I feel that I don't even look the same.
I will add photos soon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with the community, I am so sorry you are not happy with your results. I appreciate your willingness to share photos with the community. Take very good care and don't beat yourself up over this.

Champaign Facial Plastic Surgeon