So Far, So Good/three Days out - Cedar Park, TX

Let me start by saying I am 41, have fair skin and...

Let me start by saying I am 41, have fair skin and am originally from South Florida where we went to the beach every weekend and used little more than baby oil with iodine and nothing on our faces. I have had more than my fair share of sunburns. I started noticing sunspots earlier this year. I have always prided myself on looking significantly younger than my age.

I had my first IPL treatment a few days ago. After reading reviews in this forum I have to admit that I was extremely nervous. I have a high tolerance for pain, but have never had more than a micropeel.

I asked my esthetician how painful the procedure would be, and she offered a numbing cream but stated that the IPL wouldn't work as well with the cream. I opted not to have numbing cream used. While I won't say it was a mistake, I will say that anyone who has a very low tolerance for pain should definitely opt for the cream.

I can't quite describe what it felt like. I can't compare it to a tattoo, and it definitely didn't feel like a rubberband snapping against my skin, but when it was over it was over. I did feel like I had a sunburn but I've had far worse.

I saw immediate results on the obvious spots above my eyebrow. The skin there and on my chin started to flake and areas felt like sand paper. The next day I had my first 'coffee ground' spot. I've found a few more and fully expect it to get worse over the next several days. A girlfriend stated that my skin looked rough the day after. We're both looking forward to seeing the daily progress. I'm not concerned about makeup but that's my personal preference. I'm not vain enough (just a statement of fact, not a dig at anyone) to be concerned about what I look like while I heal.

I want to recommend to those who want to wear foundation to cover up to try something that has full coverage but dries to a matte finish. I'd skip the powder and use blotting papers throughout the day.

Overall, while not one of the more pleasant applications I've had, I am pleased with the treatment and am looking forward to seeing my results.

Hi Britt!

Working backwards:

I get monthly e-mail updates (specials, new procedures, etc) from my medi-spa. When I saw the special for September was for IPL I jumped on it. It was something I'd given a little thought to, but was very happy with my micropeel results.

I chatted briefly with my esthetician and decided from there that this was the right course of treatment for the spots and broken capillaries as well as the large chicken pox scar below my eye (dermabrasion and peels have done a great job of reducing size/appearance, but evening out the skintone there would make it less noticeable. It's one of the few thing about which I am self conscious).

I'm not particularly concerned about the numbing cream one way or another. My esthetician offered it more to calm my nervousness than anything else. I have an incredibly high tolerance for pain, and given the idea that there's a possibility (no matter how slim the chance) of a procedure not going as well as it could I'd just as soon go without.

It's now day five, and I definitely have more 'coffee ground' spots as well as an uneven skintone. I'll give an update in a few days.

Hi Flwr,

Yay, thanks for the update thus far and answering my questions. Can't wait to hear more. Happy Wednesday!

-Britt

Hi Flwr,

Thanks for the detail in you review, info like that really helps the community. I too am excited to see how everything turns out. I'm surprised she told you that about the numbing cream other community members have used it and results turned out as they wanted...strange. How long had you been thinking about having this procedure done?

Thanks and enjoy your week! :)

-Britt

Lori Honeycutt/Absolute Dermatology

Perhaps I'm biased because I've been going to Dr. Honeycutt's office for years and have developed a more personal relationship with the esthetician, Wendi, but I can't recommend this office enough. I am never disappointed with treatment, wait times, availability of appointments (especially in an emergent situation), quality of service and so on.