Benelli Mastopexy for Tuberous Breasts (WITHOUT BA) - Cape Town, South Africa

I am almost three months post op after having a...

I am almost three months post op after having a benelli mastopexy (donut lift) for my tuberous breasts. I was adamant that I didn't want breast implants, so my surgeon suggested just having the areola reduction with a slight lift (1cm). After the surgery I was delighted with the results. My areolas were tiny compared to how they looked before and my breasts had a much fuller, rounder look to them.

Granted, it did take about three weeks for all the swelling and bruising to subside. Although I am still pleased with my results and don't regret the surgery in the least, and my scars are already whitening after such a short period of time, the areolas have unfortunately stretched out quite a bit (definitely still much better compared to what they looked like before though!). If I maintain a good posture, they look fine. However, as you can see in the last photo, when I lean / slouch forward, they take on the saggy, snoopy appearance, which I still find bothersome.

I am now trying to decide whether it's worth having a revision surgery, or if they will just stretch out again. As I said, this is still leagues better than my 'before' pictures, which I have unfortunately deleted.

Hello, I hope you still respond to comments. I would really appreciate your help. I too am adamant that I don't want breast implants. However, I find myself very unhappy with my breasts as they are tuberous and very very small. I have always coveted to have full, very round A cup breasts, but I really don't want implants and that is so pushed and seems to be the only way. I am really impressed with your photos and I think you look absolutely amazing! I was wondering if you could be so kind as to post before photos so that I could compare your before to my current and weigh my options. Also, are you able to fill a full A?...if not I think I could still see myself accepting similar results to yours. Thanks so much for any help!
Hi there! It's always nice to hear from people who are experiencing similar difficulties. I know how awful it feels. I agree completely that implants are pushed unnecessarily and are often presented as being the only or best option if one is unhappy with any aspect of one's breasts, which simply isn't true. I also think that a perky A cup is lovely. I need to upload more recent pictures of myself--since these were taken I've lost 3.5kgs (I started running regularly, which I didn't do before). I have gone from a B cup (in the above pictures) down to an A. I was happier before the weight-loss to be honest, but that's just because they're sagging a tiny bit now and my areolas look bigger with less breast tissue. I don't have any before pictures at the moment unfortunately. I deleted them all because I didn't want any reminders. I might email my surgeon to ask if he can send me his. I'd say that this surgery is a good option though, and to be strongly considered. But be aware that your areolas are likely to stretch back a bit after the surgery, and without dealing with the underlying structure of the tissue, they might always look a little tuberous--mine still do (more so now than in these pictures). But I'd never regret my decision, and am still much happier now. Find a good surgeon who will talk through all the options with you. And ask to see photos from other patients so that you can see the quality of his/her work. I hope that helps. All the best to you!
Hi there! It's always nice to hear from people who are experiencing similar difficulties. I know how awful it feels. I also think that a perky A cup is lovely--implants aren't necessary at all, even though people tend to present them as the only or best option, which simply isn't true. When these pictures were taken I was a B cup. I have since lost 3.5kgs (I started running, which I didn't before) which is a lot for a short person like me, so I've gone down to an A. I was happier before the weight-loss to be honest, because my areolas look bigger again with less breast tissue. However, I'm still much happier than I was before the surgery and definitely think it's a great option. Unfortunately I deleted all my before pictures because I didn't want any reminders. Just be aware that yours might stretch back a little bit too--the underlying breast tissue will still have the same shape and will push against your skin to make it stretch. I found that just lifting the areola already makes my breasts look much better though, despite the stretching. Find a surgeon who will discuss all of the options with you, and ask to see pictures of previous patients that have had similar operations so that you can see the quality of his/her work. I hope that helps. All the best to you, and please keep in touch!
Hey Luthien, How are things? Are you still happy with your results? As with plastics and other surgeries there's always issues and there's no such thing as perfection. I had to have a revision on both breasts a few months ago. The initial area of extra tissue I mentioned previously had to be removed from the left breast. The right breast seemed ok initially until one day I was trying on some clothes and I could feel my bra rubbing...after that I noticed a reddened area on the side of the right breast where the bra had rubbed. About a week later the red area dissapeared and I noticed a bulging dark spot on the front of my breast on the incision line like it had moved over...OMG it opened up and fluid came out and I now had a hole in the front of my right breast...I just about freaked out calling my plastic surgeon at home. I'm now just 4 months post op from the revision surgery and it seems to have gone well...he said he found scar tissue inside that area. Both breasts are now even and seem to be healing well. I think when we start plastic surgery we have different exectations of perfection. I am so much better than I used to be, but far from perfection yet I'm happy. ttyl Cor
BTW, I haven't yet tried the needling as I need to heal more before I even think about it.
Firstly, I am so grateful for you sharing your story/experience and for taking the time out of your life to respond to my comment. Thank you so much for this! You truly don't know how much this means. I will definitely keep in touch though I don't know how far into the future it will be before I am financially able to do anything about my tuberous breasts. Still, I know how much it means and I will be a part of this community to help those of us who are suffering so much. I am 20 years old and I don't know how I will get through my days at times. My breasts have taken a toll on my life. The thing that hurts me most is my insecurity ruins the relationships in my life. I am so insecure I feel I cannot be myself around others. As if I am supressed and compelled to huddle and hide myself. The worst part is it puts much strain between the man I love and myself during intimate times because I am so humiliated by my breasts. No one ever cares to acknowledge how much this deformity can hurt a girl emotionally and I know that we can lean on each other and help each other in such a way it could just change our lives a little, uplift us and give us some hope. I hope girls who are struggling can use our information to better themselves.
Hey Cor! Good to hear from you! :) I got your inbox message a few weeks ago and replied, did you get it?
Oops, I see that I posted two replies by accident. I thought that the first one hadn't sent so I wrote it again. Oh well. It's only a pleasure. As I said, I know exactly what it feels like to be so deeply ashamed of a part of your body that is supposed to beautifully represent your femininity. It's hard. I still have major problems with my self-esteem because of it, and have always felt like there was no one I could talk to about it because they'd all shrug it off and tell me to stop being silly because "everyone's body is different". This online community has been a huge help--just to be able to talk to people who have gone through similar things has made me feel less alone. (By the way, I'm 23.5 and had the surgery just after I turned 22.) I'll try to post updated pictures as soon as possible so that you can see what I look like now. Keep me posted, and good luck with everything. :)

Thank you Luthien for your continued support of the community!  Your story is very real for so many people. BTW, I think you look great in your pictures!

Luthien, I have been doing my research and some more for over a year. I haven't went in for any consultations with any plastic surgeons yet, because 1. I don't have the money to take any action and 2. I want to have my own opinions settled before hand and know my options. I have been looking into fat grafting and I wondered your opinion. Is it something you have ever thought about? I have read it can correct the shape and add volume to the breasts--both of which I want, because I am NOT a full cup size. Do you have any information about fat grafting? I have read it is not guaranteed, and that really sucks. So many risks involved. The fat can be reabsorbed by the body, it can form calcifications, leave you with lumpy breasts or uneven breasts. I have seen some women have really great, lasting results, but most surgeons are against the fat transfer and really forceful about the implants. I found the surgeon who invented the BRAVA bra if you are familiar w/ that device (it is used pre-fat transfer). He is in Miami, FL, US and has a breast center (MiamiBreastCenter.com, Name is Dr. Khouri) that specializes in breasts only. However, he isn't a member of the American Medical Association. That worries me, as being from the US you are warned against surgeons who are not members of the American Medical Association. I see your surgery was done in South Africa and so I assume that is probably your home and you can't help me with an opinion of the AMA member status. The lipo that is used is supposed to be very gentle and non-invasive. The cannula being no bigger than a needle, leaving pricks the size of a grain of rice that doesn't need stitches, will scab over and leave no scarring. There is also the risks involved with lipo, of course. Aside from the scary stuff, I am worried about the rippling of the skin lipo can cause. I would be so very devestated if I got this procedure and was left with lumpy boobs, or the fat all reabsorbed and/or rippling from the lipo areas. But, it is the procedure I feel I need to try. I am so sad! I'm crying everyday. Any advice? Would you go for this procedure? Have you heard anything about this procedure? Thanks, Luthien. I am so upset I had trouble getting this out. Hope it is legible and makes some sense. Whew!
It may depend on how your body scars on if you should do this or not. I also thought about having the fat deposits, but in an area as large as your breasts and as much fat as would be required, I would be worried about infection and capsules forming around the fat making lumpy breasts as you call them. The body heals imperfectly, so the less you do the happier you may be. Luthien has done the correct procedure IMO from all the things I've read...later when the breasts have healed then if you want to have implants then go for it later as the extra weight of implants and pressure outward on the nipples may make the nipples spread larger than you want if you do it all at the same time. Luthien has the perfect result. Save your money and find someone board certified because even then surgery is never perfect just ask any of us who have undergone it. I had the lollipop incision but that's because I had extra tissue from my pregnancy, but if you don't have that extra tissue then maybe just go with the Benelli. I wish you luck, and don't worry, we all understand what having imperfect breasts is like and keeping the lights off when intimate. that said, we could have worse things...things will be ok, so don't worry...go and see a few plastics guys and see what they say and make a decision from there when you have the money...in the U.S. you can get on a payment plan with any of the surgeons. Luthien, I didn't get your message...wonder if it went to spam or something...just got a new computer and haven't figured it all out yet and my settings may be off.
Thanks for responding to my comment Cor. :)
I had to have a revision as previously described. Funny, but the area that opened up creating a hole was the exact spot my surgeon used a needle soon after surgery to try to remove what he thought was fluid but there was none so that needle procedure was useless...I just worry that when you inject into areas with a needle bacteria enters and creates a scared problem spot. Was it the needle, or was it that reddened inflammation that just went to that exact spot after rubbing from my bra coincidently? No one including the surgeons can understand or expect certain problems. My surgeon is one of the best in Canada and he couldn't understand what had happened 6 months after my initial surgery...after revision I am perfect or as I now understand with surgery I am at least very happy with the result. You will fix your problem in time. Don't let your breasts affect your self esteem...someday we will all look badly and any man in your life you want to love you for what's inside and not what's outside...I understand that more now than ever. Take care.
Luthien, if you don't mind, could you let me know if your nipples have stretched out? If yes, to what extent?
Hi, missfrinsinteen :) I did write in my review above that some stretching occurred, which I found pretty distressing. I'd say they've stretched about 1 - 1.5 cm so far and I'm not sure if they'll stretch any more. I'm hoping for the best. But either way, it's far better than what they looked like before, so I'm grateful.

Why do you ask? Have you experienced similar problems?
Hi luthien =). No, I haven't done any surgery on my breasts yet but I must say, my breasts look very similar to yours and I was considering getting a lift. I love how yours turned out. You say 1-1.5cm, does that mean, they went back to the original size? Do you reckon the stretching is because of the benelli procedure? Would it have been avoided with the lollipop lift? I'm getting mixed reviews from different sources and my decision about getting a lift is getting more difficult day after day. I'm so lost...:/
Hi again. Trying to make a decision before the operation is difficult; I felt the same frustration and also heard different things from different sources. I wouldn't say my areolas are their original size--not by a long shot. I think I had a pretty bad case of tuberous breasts, so this is still leagues better than what they looked like before the operation. I guess that's why they have stretched (the underlying cause is still present). I still feel they're an acceptable size though, and still much smaller than before. But I'm not sure how much more stretching will happen (it's only been 4 months), and my internal suture will still dissolve around 6 months, so I'm guessing that the final result will only be visible at the end of the year. Hoping that most of the stretching has happened already. If they stretch any more, I think I'll be quite unhappy.

Doing some research post-op and viewing other people's results, it does seem like a lollipop/anchor lift is a safer option in terms of avoiding stretching, as there is less tension on the areola alone. Obviously that means more scarring though. If you're okay with that, I'd say go for that procedure rather. Again, it also depends on how severe your tuberous breasts are. If you just want a minor reduction/lift without implants, Benelli is still a good option. A surgeon would know best though. I suggest posting some photos on the question forum on the site and getting some professional opinions--it's always easier to make a judgement if one has pictures to work with. Good luck! I'd love to know how it works out in the end, please let me know. :)
Thank you so much for the help love! I'll post up some pictures soon =). I'm 21 now, I hope to get mine done before I reach 25.
Hey Luthien...it's 4 months now for both of us and hope you're doing ok. I'm still having a few issues with the absorbable stitches on my abdominal incision...one just popped out a few days ago again...hoping this will stop soon...it seems if I stay on antibiotics orally they seem to heal better without getting infected so I'm on another course of anti-B's. Also notice under my left breast that some of the skin hasn't totally flattened, so might need a bit of a revision but I'll see my surgeon this week for a F/U appointment to see what he thinks.
How are things?
Cor! Hello! I was thinking about you recently and also wondered how you're doing. I'm still healing nicely and feeling much better about everything after the stretching issue. I still get the occasional stitch popping out too, which is irritating. Otherwise, I'm good. Let me know how your F/U appointment goes? How are you feeling about everything otherwise? :)
Hey I'm doing pretty good. The incision lines on my breasts and abdomen have lightened considerably but those popping abdominal stitches get me frustrated...just when I think everything is resolving one of these just pops out to remind me I'm not done yet...lol. My F/U appointment is changed to next monday...it will give a week longer to see if there's any change in that left breast tissue underneath...you can't see it until I lift my arms up and then there's a slight bubble of tissue that probably needs to be removed...don't know if it's because it didn't shrink like the rest of the breast or if the skin in that area should have been pulled a bit more during the surgery...I'll ask him when I see him. I also notice that my left nipple is slightly larger than the right one...I know he removed one of the circular stitches (but not both) and I can't remember if it was the right or left one as I was always lying down and cringing and trying to distract myself as stitches were being removed...wonder if the circular stitch was from the left breast and the nipple stretched? Maybe after the right one absorbs it will make the right nipple stretch more too? I just don't know...have lots of questions to ask next week and I'll keep you posted. I have to tell you that my new belly button is really cute...I've seen some that look like holes, and mine looks like a perfect designer one...lol. I'm still very happy with everything that's been done...nothing's ever perfect (except that belly button), but so much better than it used to be so how can I complain? I look at the Micheal Jackson scenario and numerous other famous people who can afford the best surgeons and they don't turn out perfect so I'm glad I wasn't one of the disaster stories you and I have heard about...we are alive and well and now look pretty good too!
Ah, I hope that the issue can be resolved without too much fuss... Are you going to post photos? :)

Hmm, sounds like the stretching is most likely happening because of the stitch that was removed. Makes sense. Man oh man, I hope mine don't stretch even more once my sutures get absorbed (around 6 months, so June). I'm literally measuring them every time I change the micropore tape to see if there's any difference, haha. But c'est la vie, I must learn to be satisfied with the results regardless. And you're right. We have a lot to be grateful for! Thank heavens for good surgeons and successful surgeries. :)
His name is Dr Hudson at the Academy of Plastic Surgery in Cape Town (South Africa). Thanks for the compliments, very encouraging to get such positive responses! :)
your surgeon did a great job, really neat nipples. love to know who your surgeon is???
Luthien, could you share the details of your surgeon? He seemed to have done a fantastic job and I am cursed with the most hideous looking tuberous breasts which I would love to fix.