Rhino, Septo & Turbinecomy - Canberra, Australia

I've always had a big nose, but on top of that...

I've always had a big nose, but on top of that I badly broke it when I was in year 3 - so since I can remember I've always been really unhappy about the shape of my nose and in turn - lost a lot of self confidence over the years. I've always spent an unnecessary amount of time and effort thinking and focusing on it or trying ways to place less emphasis on the shape and size of it.

Growing up I'd always wanted to have surgery on it but never spoke to anyone about it - nor the fact that I hated my nose (as if mentioning it would further draw attention to it - silly I know). But after finishing uni and moving away to a new state with my partner, I found it really tough in the beginning to meet new people and my self-confidence hit an all-time low and I contacted my sister who works for a plastic surgeon in Canberra (luckily) to find out some more information on having the surgery.Updated on 13 Dec 2011:Only 8 days to go until my surgery! I'm starting to get really excited..not nervous, yet! I've starting taking vital greens and arnica spray (supplied by the clinic) each morning to help try and boost my immune and to help with the bruising. I've been sick with a bad cold/cough for about a week and want to get it sorted before the surgery - so I'm off to the doctors today to hopefully get it fixed!

I've started to get organised and getting bits and pieces together to take with me for the surgery and for my recovery - any tips? I'm currently living on the Sunshine Coast and am flying down to Canberra for the surgery so I don't want to forget anything! :-)Updated on 19 Dec 2011:Only 3 more days until surgery - I can't wait!! I'm having my surgery at 1pm and then will stay in the clinic overnight.Updated on 21 Dec 2011:My surgery got bumped forward to 10.30am..only an hour to go!! Am just waiting to go in - everyone at the clinic is so lovely and welcoming - I'm not too nervous just yet but I'm sure i will be once I get into the room! Will keep you posted!

It's been 6 days since my surgery, and I got the...

It's been 6 days since my surgery, and I got the cast removed yesterday - so far so good!

The surgery took around 2.5-3 hours and all went well although they said I lost a lot of blood; the most they had seen in this type of op - not because anything went wrong or there was a problem just that some people bleed more than others. They also said the septum was completely deviated on my left side, so much so that it was completely blocking the nasal passage, so I should have better breating soon too!

I stayed in the clinic overnight - food and facilities were great (all very new) - like staying in a hotel and the nurses were fantastic. Both the doctor and anaethesist came and visited twice that afternoon and again in the morning and said all went well. The following day Dr Taylor removed the packing from each nostril - which is what I dreading the most - not because I thought it would hurt, but because I had been told it was a really weird feeling. It was kind of like a magician pulling out a never ending scarf from my nose - and I remember making this really weird moaning noise - but it was over before I knew it and the doctor was just laughing about it :)

I was quite bruised and swollen for the first 2-3 days, but by the time the cast was removed the brusing was quite minimal. I had a cast on my face, stiches and splints in each nostril so I was unable to breathe out my nose or taste anything for that time.

Recovery was relatively painless - the worst was having to sleep with my mouth open every night and it would all dry up and get a slimy film...yuck! Was pretty tired though so I usually had 1 or 2 sleeps during the day and a solid sleep through the night until around 5.30am were I would wake up and change the drip pad. I was still bleeding pretty steadily for the following few days so I had to keep the drop pad taped on.

I drank plenty of water and hydrolyte and mainly ate toast, fruit and veg (avoided coffee and alcohol...very hard over the christmas break!) My sister is a dermal tech and so she did some lymphatic massage draining on my face to reduce the swelling which I think really helped - it's worth looking into. I also continued to use the arnica spray a few times a day and the arnica cream on the brusing - although I think was skin was a little sensative for it as it stung a little so each time I would wipe most of it off. I also used icepacks on and off on my cheeks when I could feel they were warm.

On the 5th day I had the cast, splints and stiches removed. Removing the cast was probably the worst because it was kinda of stuck the skin so it needed a little bit of pressure for it to come off and because I had been so precious with my nose for the past week. Stiches were fine. Splints were similar to the packing removal but quicker and a little bit painful were like 2 little plugs but was a relief to get them out! After I sat up I got really woozy and turned grey and sweaty and had to lie down on the bed for a while and they got me some juice until I got some colour back. My nose was pretty oily and the pores were pretty blocked, but once I got home I carefully gave my face a good clean and it's been pretty good since.

They said due to the blood loss in surgery it was a lot more swollen at the bridge - and so I will need to go back in a week to see them (Tuesday) as he wants to check it is settling down ok. Also the skin on the bridge was still remembering where the bump was but will settle down. But even by the time I had arrived home - 3 hours later - the swelling had gone down quite a bit. On the way home we stopped to get a few things and I walked into the shops without too much of a worry.

Today - after having the cast removed yesterday I wore makeup to cover the slight bruising under my eyes and went and visited some relatives and none of them said anything. I don't think people can tell unless they knew prior that I was having the surgery. It's still quite swollen on the bridge so I am hoping it has a little way to go. I am already happy with my profile, but front on I think it still looks a little big.

My nose is still pretty blocked and I've still been sleeping with my mouth open as there are heaps of scabs and mucus still in my nose. I've been trying to keep it clean and have used so many 100 q-tips - so hopefully it will all clear up soon!

Dr Taylor has told me to massage my nose away from the tip at every chance I get to help with the swelling and healing and the nurse had stressed the importance of this. It's ok - but even before I had my surgery I have this funny thing (like running nails down a blackboard) that I hate touching the bridge of my nose and running my finger up my shins. So the massages on my nose make me feel pretty woozy and bit sick in the stomach - even just thinking about it! I'm not sure what it is - but I guess it's something I need to get over!

So far I am really happy with my nose, and I'm sure as the swelling subsides I will be only happier with results!

It's been 6 days since my surgery, and I got the...

So it's been 9 days since the op and 4 days since...

So it's been 9 days since the op and 4 days since the cast was removed. Bruising is almost all gone except for a small dot under one eye and a little bit of yellowing under the other. I am pretty happy with the side profile thus far, but am a little disheartened with my front view. It still feels wide at the bridge and I would like to think it is just swollen but I can already feel the bone just under the skin which makes me think it isn't going to get any smaller :(..I have an appointment with the doctor on tuesday so hopefully I will find out some more info then - will keep you posted!

I've been feeling pretty down the past 4 or so...

I've been feeling pretty down the past 4 or so days - after doing a bit of research i've read that post surgery depression is quite common which is comforting to know, but still doesn't really help the way i'm feeling...I am just looking forward to the doctors appointment on tuesday to find out how much of it is swelling. I am already happy with my profile, but it still looks too wide at the bridge and I can already feel the bone just under the skin which makes me think it's there to stay. I guess I am just disappointed as you think that (unrealistically) as soon as the cast comes off you will be a completely different person. I just need to relax and have a little more patience! Has anyone else had these concerns?? It's been 10 days since the op and 5 days since the cast was removed.

So it's been 1 month and 18 days - and all is...

So it's been 1 month and 18 days - and all is going well! The swelling has come down alot but the tip is still quite hard and swollen. I am really happy with the result - I think it is really natural and suits my face.

I just had my 6 week check up on Friday and i'm recovering well - just waiting to receive my before and after photos :)
Dr Alastair Taylor

you look great!
WOwow looks great! I am like you how I never wanted to mention it while growing up to ignore the situation/not draw attention
How did you deal with depression after surgery? I have a feeling this might happen to me as I am that type of person and can respond to things quite emotionally..Something i want to try and prevent.
heeeeeeyyyyy congrates u look amazing so fresh so natural i'm really glad for u
you can tell that your front view is still swollen, but i think it is gonna go down and shrink a lot! it looks like your nose was pretty slim to begin with (looking at you from straight on, ya kno?) The side view looks nice! Very natural!! :)
WOW! Your nose looks amazing already!!! I LOVE IT!
thank you - your nose looks great too!! I read your review before I had mine done and have been checking back since - it really helped!! thank you :)
congrats! your nose looks great. even if it is not swelling, i do not think your bridge looks wide at all. i have not had my rhinoplasty yet so i am not sure about the swelling. but i have read a ton of articles that stay swelling is present for months following.
thanks cristylv that means alot - yeah I am hoping it's just swelling - i need to be a little more realistic! goodluck for when you get yours done - let us know how you go! :)
yes absolutely that's swelling it's only 5 days post op and with all this swelling i see ur bridge width is perfect with ur face i'm 4 months post op and still have tip swelling i'm sure u gonna look prettier next few months with this current look u can act in a tv show i'm not kidding good luck
thanks safi - you are too nice! :) I have a check up tomorrow - so it will be great to know what the doctor thinks too. I just need to be more patient!
woooooooooow ur profile is more than amazing so natural i'm so happy for u
thanks safi, that means alot - i'm not happy with my front view as yet so i will wait to post more photos - i'm hoping it's just swelling but i think it's just wishful thinking!
Thanks Angie - I will post some better before and after photos soon! I'm already really happy with my profile shot, and it's only been 3 days but front on I hope the swelling will go down a bit more!!

You look beautiful!

Does it hurt? I'm thinking of having surgery as well, but i just freaked out cuz of the blood thingy stuff. Anyway, i hope u get well soon
Hi Nad13, no it's not painful - just uncomfortable - I was really surprised as to how muchnit didn't hurt! I guess if it's something you really want to do you just put up with it! Thank you and good luck if you decide to go ahead th it!
hope u get well soon
Thanks Safi! I will post some more photos today to showmyou how I am going.. Your results are excellent! You must ne wrapped! :-)
Hi Angiemcc,

Thanks for your post! I'm really excited for the surgery - I think it's because it's something I've wanted for so long, so nerves haven't set in just yet.

I will post some photos up Just before or just after surgery - trying to hold off as I'm embarassed to put up my before shots of my nose at bad angles, shots that I always just delete!

I'll keep posting :-)

Believe me, I know the feeling. It's a lot easier to post those pics when your old nose is history. :0)

You're only a little more than a week away! How are you feeling about the surgery? Nervous? Scared? Both?

Please keep us posted. We'll be here!