Considering Laser Tattoo Removal Due to Complete Regret! - Canada

I am hoping I can get some support here, both...

I am hoping I can get some support here, both emotional and education. I got a tattoo about a month ago and I am suffering with deep deep regret. To the point where it is affecting my life negatively..I can't sleep, I can't eat. I am completely devestated at what I have done. I am setting up a consultation tomorrow so that I can get some knowledge about tattoo removal and all that is involved. If anyone can share their stories with me, I would really appreciate it. it is nice to know I am not alone in this.

3 weeks after getting tattoo

Today was an okay day. I wasn't too depressed..kind of just hit me in waves throughout the day. I still haven't been able to eat much as I don't have much of an appetite. i try my best to keep the perspective that it can always be worse. I don't have cancer, I have a loving group of friends and family etc...it is only a tattoo and many people have them..i am jst one fish in a sea of tattooed fish...right? :)

Tattoo Pic

Here is a pic of my tattoo..it is a lot smaller than it looks like in the pic..it is the size of a deck of cards with just a little spillage..lol

Change of heart?

For the first time in about 2 weeks I was able to actually go out and have dinner with my family. I then went to a movie with a friend. It felt so good to just forget about the tattoo drama..I feel like I have a new outlook. Has anyone experienced this? was depressed about the tattoo but a night out with friends or family gave you a new perspective..I feel like it is not that bad anymore..I hope the feeling lasts..maybe it will, maybe it won't..stay tuned!

decision made

For the last 3 weeks, I have been tormenting myself with the decision of whether or not to have the tattoo laser removal procedure. I needed to make a decision as it is just too difficult to live in limbo like this. So, my decision is to not have the laser removal.....yet. i think you are all amazing and brave to be undertaking this long, exhausting and expensive journey..I will be hanging around as I would still like to follow your journey's and offer support where I can! I pray that they will come out with advanced treatment to help all of us who have tattoos we want to be rid of. I believe that as the current fad of tattoos dwindles (and it will) the demand for tattoo removal will skyrocket. As we all know that tattoo regret, whether it is 5 minutes after the tattoo is completed or 5 years after, it plays havoc on our emotions and mental state..I just cannot imagine the state of the world when this starts to happen to more and more people. Anyway, enough of my ramble! haha..Good Luck to you all! I am cheering you on and here to support! :)

Still not feeling right

Today has been tough...Even though I made the decision to not have laser removal at this time, I still have huge anxiety over my tattoo..I cannot look at it. I keep covered up all the time. Super depressed today..I am thinking of going for a consultation. I really should get some information first so that I can make an informed decision.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there.

6 months later..

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well. I thought since I've come to the 6 month mark of having my tattoo, I would write a review to update you all of where I'm at.

As I mentioned a few months ago, I made the choice to not pursue laser removal. Since then, I've been focusing on accepting the tattoo, accepting and forgiving myself for the choices made surrounding getting the tattoo. I still have days that are hard and the self pity finds it's way back into my thoughts but those days are getting further and further apart.

My advice to anyone who may have a new tattoo that they regret is to give it time before making the decision to get it removed. Let the shock wear off, let yourself at least try to become used to the tattoo. From what I've learned over the last 6 months about laser removal is that there is no turning back once you start. And in some cases, you may come full circle and end up having to get another tattoo to cover up the old one that isn't able to be completely removed. So, if your tattoo is not one that was poorly done but maybe you just realized after that tattoos are not for you, please just give yourself some time. If after a period of time, you feel that you still cannot live with it, then maybe removal is something you should consider. Just don't make a decision in haste based on your emotional state at the time.

My tattoo regret has taught me so much about myself and has made me look at other areas of my life that maybe I wasn't happy with. I'm now focusing on those areas of my life. It's difficult to explain but sometimes these things happen to make you a better person. It gives you the wake up call you needed.

Just remember: it's only a tattoo! It doesn't define who you are if you don't let it.

Good luck everyone in your journey!

I hope you are doing well with your new philosophy on life. Yes, the tattoo is only ink, and not a definition of who we are. Staying positive is the best way to be, it may be hard at times, but life can be a challenge at times. We allow the suffering, and we can welcome the positive aspects. I stopped lasering ten months ago, I might start up again when I feel like it. But for now I am enjoying life, focusing on positive things. Good luck...stay positive...update when you feel like it. aloha...k
Thank you. I'm doing well. Still have my days where the depression sets in but for the most part I'm ok. I'm still definitely considering laser removal but for now, I feel it's not the right time. Hope you're doing well too! Any luck on your job search? From what I recall, you were looking for employment. Take care!!
aloha Canadagirl75: Laser when and if it's right for you. As for my job, it was a practicum search as I need to collect clinical hours for licensure. It may be different in Canada, but in the States therapists collect clinical hours with supervision. I only had one bad experience where the woman interviewing me inquired if I would cover up my ink. But I interviewed at three places and was offered two spots. I gladly accepted both and will be working with people on life's journey and making decisions. I will be working with people battling substance addiction. I will also be working with families involved with hospice care. I am excited about both. I like both because they allow expression rather than what we look like to shine through. As for your depression days, all of that sucks but it's okay. It's how we deal with things and we deal with things at our own pace, no one else's. We deal with things when we can. All of this is okay, in fact it's great. It's a celebration of who we are. But when we're in the thick of the blackness/depression, it can suck. Suck big time, but then the light can shine though. Good luck, you're going to do great. aloha...k
You have some amazing insights!!! All the best to you. :)
This is the best post on here that I have read.
Thanks so much for this post. I am in a very similar situation. I just got a tattoo, that is pretty large and colored. I have two others that are much smaller and love them, but pretty much the day after I got this one, I felt like it just didn't belong on my body. In fact, I've always liked tattoos and wanted this one and thought about it for a while (several years in fact), and now I feel like I'm looking back and can't even understand why I wanted it. I am going to talk to someone about Picosure removal, but I'm a bit skeptical since it is so new and the only real results pictures I seem to find are from the clinical trials. I just don't want to make a mess of things, because the tattoo itself is actually beautiful. It's just giving me so much anxiety and I feel so self-conscious. I'm hoping my story will turn out like yours..that I'll end up loving it and not spending even more money than I already have on the tattoo itself for removal treatments (that may or may not work), but we'll see. It's really helpful to hear your story though and I'm glad it worked out well for you in the end.
Very cool!!! It's like yr tatt said it all along....glad you are at peace w/ it, it's a nice tatt!!
Haha! Yes I guess my tattoo says it all! Nice way of looking at it I guess :) thank you.
hi - i am getting my tattoo removed after at least 10 years of having it. But i am feeling sad that I am removing it - although i love it, I just dont think its right for me....
If you've had the tattoo for 10 years and you love it...how can it not be for you? Is that how you feel or are you listening to others who are saying the tattoo isn't for you? Good luck with your removal..keep us posted :)
Yes, ink regret and depression are best buddies at times. It sucks. But there are good days and that's what I focus on the most. You've made the decision to not have it lasered off...at this time...even after the consultation...good for you. Focus on the positive and not the ink...it's hard, but it's worth it. You're worth it. Good luck. aloha...k
Happy Holidays - hope everything is well :)
Thanks! Happy holidays to you too..:)
Boy, am I having a hard day today...funny how the tattoo regret/depression can come and go.. I hope everyone is doing well! Happy Holidays to you all!!

Hey there just checking in to see how you are feeling :) Hopefully you are doing better and learning to love your tattoo :)

Hi there. I'm doing ok. Still have my days. I can't yet say I love my tattoo but I'm getting used to it. With it being long sleeved weather, it's been easier. It'll be interesting to see how I am when spring comes and the short sleeves come out.
Hi there. I'm doing ok. Can't say I love my tattoo but I'm getting used to it. Makes me sad to say that as you really should love your tattoo but it is what it is. With it being winter and long sleeves weather, it's been easier. Will be interesting to see how I do come spring. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I still pray very day that there will be a new tattoo removal procedure that works miracles. Hope "they" are working on it as I truly believe the need will only grow more.
Good Evening Canadagirl75, I am glad you are not jumping into anything, and keeping your options open and researching, that is smart of you.  You mention you are feeling super depressed today, that's understandable, as you are experiencing mixed emotions/regret. Please don't look at this as a personal weakness, this can happen to anyone. You have experienced something in your life that is traumatic to you, and possibly feel a deep loss, and or a disconnection from your body. Feeling sad/depressed is very normal in this situation. A suggestion for you, from personal experience as I am not an expert, takes care of yourself as you would when you say have the flu. What I mean by that is, when you are sick with the flu, you may go to the doctor and he/she may suggest to go home, get rest and drink lots of fluids and remind you to take good care of yourself, well this is no different, I once read that depression is like an emotional flu, so you should take care, get some rest/relaxation and allow yourself to heal as you would if you were sick. I hope that makes sense. Another thing you can try, well 2 things actually that worked for me is, keep something little with you, anything like a rock, a piece of jewellery and when you begin to feel anxious touch it and this will be your reminder to focus back on good feelings, positive thoughts. The other thing is, give your anxiety , sadness 10 min. of your time, allow it to express itself, but set a limit if you can, and then take back control....this will become an easier exercise with practice, I assure you. Take good care, B11.
Thank you for the kind words B11. You can call me Tara :) I definitely feel traumatized and very disconnected from my body. I chose the wrong placement for my tattoo. I wish I had it on my back. But, because the tattoo has personal meaning, I wanted it to be somewhere that I could see it. I completely disregarded the fact that having a tattoo on my forearm would completely limit my wardrobe choices and it would be staring me in the face all the time. Friends have told me to take time to get used to it and that with time I will but I'm just not sure about that. I have trouble looking at it. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'm doing more research on laser removal. Without the guarantee of complete removal, it makes it a scary gamble. I'd never get a cover up. I'd rather live with what I have. We will see! Take care-Tara
Not sure where you're from in Canada, but Skinpossible Laser & Light Solutions in De Winton (Calgary) Alberta is now offering Picosure. If you went with Picosure your tattoo would probably be gone in like 3 treatments.
I'm in Winnipeg. Glad to hear that the picosure is making more appearances here in Canada. I'm hoping the Dermatologist I'm considering gets one. It would be well worth his while as he says he has a lot of patients.
Thanks so much Geamrok for posting the news about the availability of the Picosure in Alberta! That's wonderful news!
Congratulations on your decision! And fear not, I am convinced that as soon as I am done with the laser treatments someone will invent a cream that easily dissolves any tattoo!