20M in Canada, Looking to Have Chin Implant Put in Some Time Within the Next Year

Hello/Bonjour, So let's get this started. I've...

Hello/Bonjour,

So let's get this started. I've been looking at the reviews on realself for a few months after I first met with a plastic surgeon about getting a chin implant put in. I first noticed there was something off with my chin when I was 16/17 and in grade 12, but I chalked that up to my being overweight. Within the past year, I dropped 75lbs and am now weighing in at 180, which is decent for my height (6'2"). While losing the weight, I noticed that my chin kept getting smaller and smaller in comparison to the rest of my face. It was then that I realized that I have a naturally round jawline and weak chin.

So I decided that I should solve this because, in all honesty, it doesn't look attractive on a guy to have those features. I debated between having a sliding genioplasty and an implant, but ultimately decided on the implant because the recovery time would be quicker and there would be a lowered risk of nerve damage if it is placed from underneath the chin.

I went to see a plastic surgeon back in June for a consultation. He informed me of the price and later sent me a few photo manipulations. I liked the improvement in the profile, but the front looked the same. He informed me that it would look different post-surgery from the edit. I decided to do a second consult with him so see if jaw implants would make a difference (because why not go for a square jaw) and we both agreed that they (in addition to the chin implant) would make my face look fat and bulky.

In the second meeting, my parents were there because they want to foot the bill (my grandparents paid for my mother's rhinoplasty and my parents feel like they should pay for this for me... don't ask me why, I was planning on taking out a loan). Additionally, the plastic surgeon had a nurse in the office and a resident that he was training. I had originally gone only expecting my parents to be the additional people in the room and was uncomfortable having the nurse and resident there, too. During this time, he kept referring to how it is my perception of myself that is motivating me to have surgery. I got upset and explained that it is not just how I perceive myself that is influencing my decision. How others perceive me matters, too. I have been told in the past that I am unattractive/ugly and want to improve my face so it is attractive and told everyone in the room this. No amount of exercise will give me a good looking face. The surgeon decided that we should put the procedure on hold until I have spoken to a psychiatrist of his choosing. That meeting should be sometime within the next month. The plastic surgeon feels that I have unrealistic expectations about the procedure.

Additional information: I have also thought about rhinoplasty, but am put off because of some of the results I have seen. I also felt it necessary to explain what happened in the second meeting because it's the truth. I realize now I should have kept my mouth shut and just let him talk so I could have had the procedure done as soon as possible. I know that whatever result I would get from an implant would not be perfect, but I want to at least try.

You don't need an implant at all! You have great balance and a great profile! Loose a couple lbs instead and you'll have great definition in your chin/neck
Hi! I think a chin implant would look good. Nothing to drastic though. It doesn't look bad at all! But a little improvement will make you feel great ;) I love mine!
Don't listen to what other people say , all that matters is that you want it for yourself to feel more confident. People always have negative opinions
Negative opinions I can deal with. At least I'll have done something to improve my appearance instead of wallowing in self-pity like most people.
True !
For the nose, consider perhaps just getting filler behind the dorsal hump. Do you breath through your mouth? Do you have an open bite? Do you have lip incompetence? Have you been to see an orthodontist and maxillofacial surgeon? Looking just at your profile I would be very surprised if you aren't a candidate for orthognathic surgery, as this could well be the real underlying cause of your mandible deficiency. Either way I agree with your analysis that improve areas such as chin, jaw width, gonial angles, mandibular plane would provide a very good aesthetic improvement, even though to most eyes you are a normal looking person. Best of luck!
Hi Marxo, I met with a maxillofacial surgeon first who said he would do a cosmetic genioplasty. However, I didn't like how the results looked (they didn't make much, if any, difference). My teeth are perfectly straight and I don't have lip incompetence. For the most part, I don't breath through my mouth unless my allergies are acting up.
Dear Letsdoit, I just had a chin implant 10 days ago and it has made a GREAT improvement in my face . I had to wait until now because of working and raising four kids, so I am 64. I cannot tell you how much I relate, even though I am a woman and so much older than you are. I think the chin implant will change not just the image YOU see but the image EVERYONE sees, and I DO think it matters. No one ever suggested there was something wrong with ME for desiring to have a chin in proportion with my face. I think your parents are extremely wise to support you. I think the one error you have made is going back to the same PS. It is apparent that he has made erroneous decisions about your mental health and I am quite frankly, TICKED OFF, for your sake. It's not as if you had asked for EVERYTHING in your face to be changed!!! If I were in your shoes I would RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN for a REAL 2nd opinion, by a different PS. This one is being both arrogant and treating you as if you are not FULLY aware of what you are looking for. You do not need a psychiatric consult. While you are a handsome man without any changes, I agree with you that your look is not enhanced by the rounded set back chin. I realize you are in Canada (I am originally from Toronto and lived18 yrs in Kitchener-Waterloo after becoming an American but marrying a Canadian) and there is universal healthcare. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think cosmetic surgery is paid for by the government, so it is totally YOUR CHOICE whom you see for your surgery. I suspect anything here in USA would cost much more that in Ontario or Quebec. It seems to me you should have absolutely no trouble finding another PS to speak to in your area, since you are paying out-of-pocket. I would DEFINITELY not go back to that PS. Even though I know you are anxious to get it done, he will NOT be any faster to schedule you than anyone else. So start over. When the next PS asks, "What brings you here?", simply say the bit about the wt loss and how you would like to complete your "make-over" to include the only part of your body that is still frustrating, your chin. You DESERVE to be treated with the utmost respect as you have lost all that weight!!! That was an incredible amount of courage, restraint and plain hard work. That is why I admire your parents so much for understanding there is "just one more thing" to ensure you feel very good about yourself. A squarish chin implant would enhance your face without doubt. All that is wrong right now is you found a PS lacking the vision to see who you are and what is needed to make your face what is generally regarded as "more masculine". It is as clear as a bell you are NOT in any way needing psych help, so forget that non-helpful advice and just get the courage to go to another PC. For all you know, he/she could schedule you next week! And if there are rules in Canada I am unaware of regarding PS, then cross the border and go to a board certified American PS. The entire border where you are (certainly Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie, and any major city near the border) will be teeming with PS. Make a day of it and see 3 or 4 in 1-2 days. You'll know IMMEDIATELY when you find someone who recognizes what just about anyone would. Then take the time to ensure this person is board certified and fills all the requirements recommended here on RealSelf. BTW, my chin implant is virtually unnoticeable but my face and jaw look SO MUCH IMPROVED now that it is in. I am experiencing no pain from it only 10 days post-op. I am certain you will be happy. Please do NOT go back to that condescending PS who, imho, mistreated you by violating your privacy w/o requesting permission for others in the room, and worst of all, allowing THEM any opinion at all about your situation. Disgraceful. Good luck, letsdoit -- you've come so far, you deserve the BEST!!!!! Maggie S who intimated you had a faulty self-image. Hope this helps. Maggie
Sorry, ltesdoit, don't know why that last line appeared out of order "Maggie S who intimated you had a faulty self-image". It belonged somewhere else and is rubbish where it is now. Cannot change once posted. LOL Wonder what gremlins will show up in THIS post!?
Hi Maggie, I'm currently looking into other surgeons, however the one I met with is the only one who has an office in the city I currently live in (London). I'm starting my final year of university this week, so any meetings with plastic surgeons in the Toronto area will be difficult to set up (cost of transportation plus cost of consult). Then I have to take into consideration time off to recover. I will probably do a few consults sporadically over the next few months and maybe get the surgery done in December after my semester is over. As far as cost, it seems to me like plastic surgery is cheaper in Canada. The government does not pay for it, nor does insurance (with the exception of reconstructive surgery or any surgery that repairs function). There are, however, fewer surgeons around that do so for purely cosmetic reasons, which frustrates me. If I were to go to the States for this, I would probably travel far to get the best possible surgeon. Again, I will meet with the psychiatrist as a formality. Any diagnosis of body dysmorphic disorder I would take with a grain of salt. To me, it would be similar to gaslighting in that it ignores my lived experience and the feedback I have gotten from others (whether it was something I asked to hear or was just flat out told). Telling me to put myself out there and be more confident won't attract (might as well say it) more guys to me. I already do those things. People aren't obligated to find you attractive just for being nice and friendly.
Good luck! Firstly, you're already a good-looking guy. And you're only 20, so your face shape will change in the next few years. Do you think that's why your surgeon is reluctant? I think it's great your parents are backing you! Best of luck
Thanks for the comment. My surgeon is reluctant because he feels I'm wanting to do this for the wrong reasons and thinks I have unrealistic expectations about the outcome. I want a more balanced, square look to my face to make it look more masculine. In the words of my surgeon in our first consult, "If [I were] a girl, all [I] would need is a nose job." As far as my face shape changing, the only thing that will really be any different 4 years from now is that my buccal fat deposits in my cheeks should be smaller (as they are on everyone). Without intervention, my jaw and chin would look the same as they do now. Maybe a bit bigger, but still unbalanced to the rest of my face. I just want to fix it now and be sure that it gets fixed rather than wait a few more years for something that may not even happen.
In that case, I think you should go for it - and like Maggie says, try to look for another more sympathetic surgeon when you have the time/resources.