Made the Big Decision. And Very Nervous/overwhelmed - Camrose, AB

I am 27 years old and have had an extremely and...

I am 27 years old and have had an extremely and abnormally large chest ( grew to a 32F). I use the term 'abnormal' as I've never felt my boobs were part of me, just there causing pain, embarrassment and getting in the way, often preventing me in doing things comfortably (physically and mentally).

I saw my GP in October of 2012 and asked for a referral. They sent my info to Dr.Wong at the Gemini Clinic in Camrose. I had my consult appointment on May 2nd. I was quite over whelmed despite researching breast reduction for the past 5 years. The whole process from the time I entered the exam room to the moment I exited the exam room was 30 mins. She gave me all the info I already knew, and in addition told me about which procedure she's use, what size she can get me down too (32D, possibly a C, but it will be difficult because of my breast shape) the approx. down time and so forth. She wasn't rude, just very quick, kind of cocky. I was slightly put off at first, but realized she does this all day almost everyday, so it must get tiring. Not an excuse, but whatever. I was then taken to the reception desk to fill out forms, sign paperwork to then go ahead to put in a request for surgery. That was the most over whelming part as I asked if I could take them home to go over with my husband and send them back, I was promptly told no because she (receptionist) needs them today to book as it can take 9 months to get the call to book an appointment. Another 30 mins was spent on the forms and they did photocopy them for me to bring home.

I was apprehensive at first, more so about the appointment rather than the surgery and I managed to talk to another girl who used the same surgeon and it was the same for her but she is extremely happy with the results.

Now I am more looking forward to cute tops, more selections and most of all, COMFORT.

We'll be going in around the same time...early January. No more big bras - can't wait!
I called to get an update on bookin surgery. They said they're not booking anymore until after Christmas. :/

Welcome girlie!!

Trust your gut,  and if you are totally comfortable with the doctor then move forward.  Wow that is crazy how long it takes to get in for the surgery.  Keep us up on everything as you are planning for your surgery.

BOOKED IN. May 2nd

Finally got the call today. I'm booked for surgery May 2nd. My instructions were to call the office day before for my surgery call time and make sure I have my breast binder with me. Just need to dig up my papers from the consult to review. Kinda scared/excited/nervous :/

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Before Photos, 3 month Pre-Op

I told my self I would post before photos when I got a surgery date. One breast is a full 1-2 cup sizes larger than the other.

I am sitting at home on a Monday after having the same surgery on a Friday in Camrose with Dr Wong. Really, it couldn't have gone better. I can't even describe what I've felt as pain- discomfort at most. I am extremely pleased with the experience and the results, and Dr Wong's skill and bedside manner are excellent. Good luck, and feel free to ask questions as I am happy to answer them.
Thanks so much! I was actually awake last night worrying about the bedside manner/patience of staff. Not that I'll be difficult or anything! Haha just worried cause I could I guess! My first thought was 'Oh no, I'm not gonna feel like cattle am I? Just wheeling one patient through at a time" then I realized that she probably only does a handful of surgeries a day.
I was really pleased with the hospital- it is small and everyone is so friendly. In the day surgery ward I had my own little room that they checked me into about 9am. I had two girlfriends with me for support and the staff was very welcoming to all of us. One nurse helped me dressed and settle in bed. The gown I wore was hooked up to a heater blowing warm air so I would stay warm. I had my special stockings on- sexy! The nurse started an IV, which hurt a little at the beginning but after I barely noticed it. I was taken for surgery about noon, so it was sort of a long wait but with my friends and the TV on, it didn't matter. When I went up I answered some questions from the nurse and then Dr Wong came in and drew on my breasts and planned out what she was going to do. Inexplicably I felt a bit woozy! Who knows why. She answered any of my remaining questions then I walked into the OR, hopped on to the bed and was strapped in. The anesthetic kicked in and the next thing I remember is the recovery room. They pulled out my breathing tube and I spent some time in there before going down to my room about 3pm. Dr Wong came and took a look about an hour later and she discussed things with my friends since I was still under the effects of anesthetic. I had a hard time completely pulling out of the anesthetic so I didn't wind up leaving until about 9pm. I just couldn't keep my eyes open and when I got up, I was a bit dizzy! After crackers and ginger ale, things really improved. From then on it was smooth sailing- just took one pain pill when I got home. I'm so pleased I did it.

4 days to go!

Whelp! Got 4 days to go! I am just getting stuff done around the house, packing, cleaning etc. I did some post op shopping at the drugstore so my hubby didn't have to wander to far to find things he has no clue what they are ;) just a few items to pick up (prune juice, stool softener, healthy snacks so he isn't running out to get stuff during our hotel stay). I ordered some lounge/yoga pants for the occasion, since I only own jeans, but they all came in way too big! So we have another stop in the city to grab a couple pairs.

Good luck, I am just 2 weeks post op and am very happy with my results so far. I know you won't regret your decision. :)
GOOD LUCK! Will be thinking of you and very curious to hear how it all goes. Yoga pants are a good idea. I'm sure you've thought of this but remember to have lots of button down tops/zip up hoodies as you aren't going to want to raise your hands above your head to put a pull over top on.
I don't really own much of button up shirts, that's also on my list of to buy! I have a couple sweaters that are zip up though. Just 1 button up shirt :/

1 day post op

Feeling good after a nice, comfy nap! My night was a little rough. We got to the hospital at 7 am, in my room and changed by 7:15, they started fluids and antibiotics and I had a minor reaction to the antibiotics, but they upped the fluids and it helped. Had a heated gown (what a dream that was!) by 8:30 I was wheeled upstairs to the operation groom. Slept on and off in the room, stayed until the PS checked me out. All in all she removed about 1 lb per breast. We got back to the hotel and thats when the nausea set in. I managed to puke up any snack I initially had. I waited another couples hours and ate some toast and it stayed down. I was just so tired that I just slept and not in the most comfy position/elevation, so please make sure your spouse/after care person checks all that! I had a good sleep this am, in a comfy position and it helped considerably.

hope your recovery goes well, get off the meds as soon as you can and have a healthy natural recovery like mine.

Day 4 Post Op

Had one good nap, felt good on day 1 and then really bad nausea up until today. Finally over it I hope (knock on wood!) was off my prescribed pain killers on Sunday and I'm only taking Tylenol for pain and my Antibiotics. It's really easy to get sore attempting stuff, so all I'm really doing is walking, not packing a thing (not even my purse). I definitely need a pillow for riding in the vehicle, went about 5 minutes and realized it was starting to hurt :/ incisions are great, no bleeding! One tiny spot that has normal discharge, no nipple sensation so far but have 'the zingers'. Sleep isn't overly restful because I sleep about 4 hours, then off and on for 15-30 min intervals. Hopefully with the nausea being gone, the restful sleep will come!

make sure to follow instructions even when taking over the counter pain killers (eg tylenol), if it says to take on a full stomach, make sure you do. I am just 2 weeks out and a sick stomach from painkillers has been the worst part for me so far - but i'm past that part now. I am taking a probiotic now (which you can do once you are off antibiotics) and it is good for your gut. best of luck and sweet dreams!
Ugh, it sounds like recovery hasn't been super smooth up to now. I'm sure it will get better. A couple of things sound familiar- needing a pillow in the car. It's uncomfortable for sure for the first month because your breasts bounce during travel and it pulls a bit. Wish I had thought of the pillow! I just wrapped my arms around my chest. So I am almost three months out and my nipple sensation is now coming back a little at time. Poor things have been through a lot! Will you see Dr Wong this week? Looking forward to hearing how that goes. Wishing you continued good health!

Feeling good!

Made the long trek home and I'm feeling good, I'm definitely more tired than before and more sore than last week, but it was a bumpy ride home even with a pillow, and I haven't been resting as much as I should be :/

Hiya, was just thinking about you and wondering how everything was going with your recovery.

Doing good!

Feeling pretty good! Just sore and very tired! Went back to work on the 20th, which was too soon. I had a hard time staying awake and functioning :/ So far no signs of infection or such. My Post Op visit was on the 8th and Dr.Wong was very happy with my results! I was instructed that as long as everything looked good, I could get fitted for a bra! I've only encountered a slight issue with my left breast, she leaves the center on the anchor cut open so it drains naturally and they scabed over but the left one ended up coming off so it open :( no blood or anything, just the yellow/green stuff every couple days on my gauze. Doesn't hurt either but I do out polysporin on it. I had a minor sad moment when I was airing the ladies out and noticed my right breast was significantly larger than the left, more noticeable than before surgery. But I reminded myself that it's probably more swollen than the left and to calm down! Thanks for thinking of me brand new girl!

I have found that I swell More on One side than the Other and it pretty much changes from DAY TO DAY ! I think this is pretty Normal and have read that on LOTS of People's profiles. Glad you are now healing good !
you are doing well, and you are right, if one side had more work dne is is likely more swollen.
Thanks for thinking of me!

1 Month!

Well a month has passed and I'm feeling pretty good! Still pretty tired though. My steri strips are gone (skin was getting irritated and it was getting mucky) and I am just trimming the dissolvable ends that poke out. I am still in a binder and using gauze and breast feeding pads to cover the areola incisions. I have the one 'gorish' are on my left breast that I will be taking a photo of and sending to my PS. It doesn't hurt, but I just want to make sure :) in another week, as long as everything looks and feels good, I can get measured/fitted for a bra. I'll just wear a sports bra until I can make it to my preferred bra place for a fitting. Not taking any pain killers or Tylenol. Just looking forward to wearing a bra. These layers are getting hot!!

congratulations I am one month post op on Friday, I find swelling subsides daily, I am not wearing a bra to bed any longer, and I have started running and lifting weights. I was a 38 H, now a 38 D, but expect that to go down a little perhaps a C. Haven't' been a D since grade school. For anyone thinking about it, this will change your life. I found post op easier then expected, I had more of a reaction to the anesthetic then anything else. Good luck to everyone in their recovery.
I'm gonna give going breast binder free tonight. See how that works! I have switched to a basic sports bra for now and feel great! The nearest city for a proper fitting is 3 hours away, so I'm waiting for a weekend when I have time to make a trip! Grab 1-2 bras to hold me over. :)
Nice! Sounds like you are doing good! How do you like the look? I wanted to let you know I relate to you as two weeks after my surgery, I moved 3,500 km away! It was really hard not being able to see Dr Wong when there were things I was worried about. I called the office a few times and she and Daneel were really good about answering my questions and reassuring me. I wish I'd thought to send photos! I did see her in person when I came home from Easter, which was great. Also found/finding it difficult as I've chosen not to tell anyone in my new city that I've had a breast reduction. I did tell people I had surgery, to excuse my inability to lift things, but I just didn't want people looking at my chest all the time. Have had enough of that in my life. So I've sent photos and chatted with my 'breasties' who are four of my best friends in Alberta who supported me through everything. Do wish I had someone here in person that could give me an objective opinion, especially in those early days of weird discharge. Big milestone for me last week. It was my birthday so I treated myself to a new bra. I'd gotten one a month before but it was a basic sort of sports type bra. I went to a nicer place for proper fitting (they fit me for my very first one and advised the basic one until the swelling went down) and I got a really pretty C cup! This after Gs and Hs! It was pricey, but I'd really not had a pretty bra since I was a teen. However, after that, I realized I could go to a normal store and get bras! That's a treat- I got another from the Bay and spent about 1/3 what I've had to spend at specialty stores. Loving these little milestones. Loving sharing them as well with people who understand.

Getting there!

Switched from the breast binder to a platter wirefree sports bra on Saturday and boy does it make me feel better (on the inside!). I feel more...feminine? Not so, flat and saggy? Plus my shirts look much nicer now with out the Velcro strip right down the middle in the front. The one spot I had user my left breast is healing nicely. Just a little slower than the rest of the incisions (everything is closed and cleared up) I do find that my skin is flaky/dry or it's left over dried up stuff from the steri strips. I'm
Just ready for cute bras! Not so much swimsuits though :-/

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

After Photos

A few after photos. Looking at them, they're not quite symmetrical (is that the word?) trying to not let it get to me as A) it could be the swelling. B) not as bad as before. C) could be from me holding the camera?

Your boobs are pretty much perfect. Congrats.
Superb result