The Difference Between Life and Death - California

Insurance Approved I had Gastric Bypass...

Insurance Approved

I had Gastric Bypass November 28, 2006. I weighed 383 at my highest weight. I weigh 173 today.

I was 42 when I had the surgery and had waited several years before really going for it.

The reason I had gastric bypass was because I was tired. I was tired of dying. I was tired of not being able to walk without holding on to things for help. At night-I could hear my heart beating in my ears.

I honestly could feel my life ebbing away. It took me 2 plus years to go through all the insurance hoops-plus required classes/education.

I wish more folks would be required to take both the nutritional and psychology courses. This is a HUGE life changing event and sadly-if you do not work to CHANGE your mind and habits-you quite possibly can doom yourself to failure.

Pros:
Another shot a life
Truly learning about my body and nutrition
More energy

Cons:
Change can be very difficult-even when it's GREAT change. May I suggest working with a support system (which might include a therapist)?
The flip side of another shot at life can be putting yourself into a life threatening situation. If you do not take this operation seriously-you are at risk.

I would do it again, absolutely! Feel free to ask any questions!

I had this surgery in Northern California and have since moved to England.

Yen-Chung A. Lee, M.D.(ValleyCare health system Pleasanton CA)

I highly recommend this group. Dr. Lee was fabulous-as are the rest of the staff at Valley Health. They listened and they understood. They are well experienced and I was in great hands!

I was reading your juvederm review and clicked on your profile because you are so pretty :) I saw this story and wanted to congratulate you! You have a truly gorgeous face!!!
Hi Kirsty, I have just had my gastric bypass 05/10/11 and now have diarrhea is this common

Thanks for your time Jeanette xx

Hi Jeanette,

I've sent you a PM to answer your question. Please keep us up to date with how you're doing.

Kirsty

Hey Jeanette, I really appreciate how Real Self removed that previous comment. It was super offensive. You guys are awesome!! Thanks for watching out for us!

Happy to help! We're here to keep the site a safe and welcoming place for everyone.

Hope you're still doing well.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Oh my goodness, I can't believe the before picture was you! You look great now!

Hi better_with_age,

Thanks for the review. You've done an amazing job and you look great. You're right about the pshychological side to bariatric surgery. You have to be in the right frame of mind or it just won't work and you can do serious harm to yourself. You're doing great though and I'm sure, with your attitude, that this will be a successful journey for you.

Take care,

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty,

Thank you so kindly for your support!

Cheers,