A Week into It..... - California

Was painful. Do not believe what they say. It was...

Was painful. Do not believe what they say. It was very VERY uncomfortable- i almost couldnt go throught the whole hour. I'm still tingling and very sore. Feels like I got surgery.... My area looks worse and bigger than it did before. I'll keep you guys posted on recovery.

Not sure on results yet. Think Ur better off saving your money and hitting the gym more.

Hi All,

After much due diligence (I spent over one year of research and investigation as well as personal communications with the experts in the field), I began offering my patients Coolsculpting by Zeltiq. My criteria for incorporating any treatment or technology into my practice is that it be both SAFE and SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN EFFECTIVE.

I was the first patient on our Zeltiq device. My wife was the second person treated. I too was told that it was "very comfortable", but when the large handpiece grabbed my abdomen, I must have lost the color in my face (at least that's what my office staff described my shocked appearance as) as beads of sweat formed on my forehead. Of course my wife assured all present that, "Oh, don't go by him, he's such a baby!" as I felt that I was being lifted up to the ceiling by the suction cup. After about 15 minutes of feeling what I was later told feels like "menstrual cramps" (my empathy to all of you girls reading this), the cold plates took over and I was able to comfortably take zips of my Cafe Frappuccino(likely one of many causes for the tummy "pooch" being treated), but taking a deep breath was still difficult as I felt as if my diaphram was stuck to the handpiece. Once the hour was up, the family-size brick of butter under my skin did feel like frozen chicken breast that was thawing out. The redness went away after a few hours. The numbness and tingling of pins and needles (like Novacaine wearing off) lasted for about two weeks, but was very tolerable. We are about two months, my wife is very pleased with her result, and wants more. I will have another treatment soon, and have seen a little improvemnt (treatment immediately before Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years may be associated with weight gain, having nothing to due with Zeltiq, more to do with yummy food).

Realistic expectations are essential before the treatment. More than one treatment session should be counted on, and even scheduled from the start. It is a gradual, but scientifically proven technology.

Thanks for sharing your Zeltiq experiences. The technology is scientifically proven to work, but it does usually take multiple sessions. The numbness and tingling is normal for a few weeks. There have been a few patients who have experienced more severe pain that has responded well to lidocaine gel or patches (speak with your physician before self treating). Good luck and be well.

Michael Persky, MD
Encino, CA

Hi Los Angeles,

Welcome to the community. Ouch, that really does sound painful. Did they offer you any pain meds? What part of your body did you have the procedure? Yes, please do keep us updated your review will be very useful for the community. Also, I hope you feel better very soon.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt