Pain Free and New Beginings - California

My motivation are my kids. I have been considering...

My motivation are my kids. I have been considering surgery for about five years. I have tried all sorts of diets watched my food intake. you name it I've done it. My goal is to be pain free. I live a pretty active lifestyle but this past year I noticed some things about my body. when I wake up I'm in pain walking and running hurts so bad I just want to cry.

The pain has slowed me down. I know this is best thing for me but I am really scared and confused about my choice. I am afraid that I will not be able to do it, what if something happens to me. I have had friends have this surgery and I see them suffering from depression and I don't want that.

My surgery is a week a way and I am nervous. My current weight is 275. Reading everyone's experiences helps me a little, i am just worried about the depression part.

I went with my friend to a doctors appointment and he was really nice. He took the time to describe to her that everything was going to be ok However, he explained to her that she would have to do the work.

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. Any kind of surgery is a big decision, but this especially will have an impact on the rest of your life. I'm not a doctor, but I am also going through this process and I think the biggest thing with this type of surgery, is that you need to be psychologically ready: for the surgery, the impact it's going to have on every decision you make about food for the rest of your life, and the fact that your body is going to change drastically and dramatically.

Some people suffer from depressive symptoms because they weren't ready to make all of the changes, or because their body has changed so much that they don't feel like them, or simply because they lose all of the weight but then end up with so much excess skin, whcih requires further surgery.

If you're feeling like you may not be mentally ready, then it may be a good idea to speak with a psychologist prior to the surgery. Some doctors insist on it, some don't.

I hope everything goes well for you. As long as you're ready for it, this can be a life-changing surgery, but it definitely takes  alot of hard work!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.