Would Love to Do It Again, But..., - California

5 yrs ago I went to a reputable doc to try botox...

5 yrs ago I went to a reputable doc to try botox for my frown line between the brows. He did 5 tiny quick shots between the brows. 24 hours later I had a sore throat that over the next couple days escalated into a horrible sinus and respiratory infection like I have never had before or since.

I remember waking in the night in a panic because I felt like I couldn't breathe. Crying from fear I woke my husband and confessed that I had tried botox. (He was angry that I would put a poison in my face just for a wrinkle)

His mother, a doctor, and my GP both said it was probably a coincidence and I had picked up some other bug. But no one in my home (mother of two children) had been ill nor became ill. I was the only one sick. So I don't think it was a cold or flu or anything else contagious. I believe it was the botox.

However, I LOVED the results. I hold my stress in my face. I am constantly crunching my brows together and the botox made not just my face relax, but ALL of me. I felt calmer since I couldn't scrunch my brows. And it was good for my marriage! My husband felt I didn't "get so angry" when we had a disagreement. I was just as angry, I just didn't look mean. He felt I was more approachable and we talked through things better.

My brow is now, 5 years later, even worse. I hate how stressed and angry I look. I massage it, but my face is just "trained" to do this. I try to fight the scrunching. But it is just always there, even when I sleep.

I would do botox again in a heartbeat if I hadn't gotten so ill. But I am terrified. What if it is worse the next time?

I guess I'll just keep massaging.

My doctor was very experienced and reputable. I do not fault him for this procedure. However, he said, "it just doesn't happen" when I asked him about side affects of botox. And that "just wasn't true".

HI CA,

Welcome to the Botox community. Hmm, that is kind of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place, especially since it helped your marriage when you had Botox.

T'he symptoms you described having sound very similar to other community members who have been chatting in our Botox Forum, Did you have flu symptoms after Botox, you might want to check it out. Really at this point it seems it is going to be up to you to decide how bad the symptoms were in comparison to the results.

I would for sure talk to your doctor and also spend some time in the forum, those ladies provide a great deal of support and info. Please keep us updated with what you decide.

Thanks so much for your review,

-Britt