Thinking of Rhinoplasty - Calgary, AB

I never liked the shape of my nose, especially in...

I never liked the shape of my nose, especially in profile. I always delete pictures where I was caught in profile and hate when people drag me in pictures where I am displayed from "unfavourable angle" - I ask them to delete those pics from Facebook immediately. And in general I am very self-consious about my nose and about cameras when I am at some party: don't want to be caught on the background with my profile. I never thought about an operation cause I am very squeamish about everything connected with blood, cuts, etc. I faint when they take my blood from a finger! I do not even have my ears pierced! The last straw was a comment from one guy about my huge nose! That's when I really started to think about doing something about it! My colleague recommended Dr Whidden, in Calgary and I went for a consult with him back in September. What did not make me confident about him was that he did not spend much time with me, he touched my nose, told me that he would remove the hump and also make my nose a bit thinner to make it look more aesthetic. He did not cover any possible complications, did not say what the next steps were, the duration of operation, post op care, recovery time... I had to write a letter to his assistant after that with a list of questions I had. They did make a before and after image for me though that looked really nice. Their finance person asked me right away about when I want to schedule an operation for that made me feel like I was being pushed. I told her that I have just had a consult and I have not decided if I was gonna go with the operation or not. Then she mentioned that the quote was valid for 6 months and I have to take a decision quicker to guarantee the cost, otherwise I would have to come for another quote. And then she said they were not "sales people"! It was 100% a sale rather than caring about my feelings and helping me with the decision. These are the things that I did not like about his office. But his assistant Vanessa has been very helpful, she send me the digital image and answered my questions a few times. I was reading the stories on this website last week and some stories really encouraged me to have an operation! I wrote another email to the doctor's office and the doctor (!!!) called me to answer my questions! He mentioned that he preferred to go through all my concerns instead of his staff to exchange emails with me back and forth. That was really nice. I have scheduled another consult with him on Feb 01st to go through the procedure again and to make sure we are on the same page on the shape of nose I want.

So, I am thinking... I looked at some pics there and some made me feel dizzy... I can't imagine I will look like this, all swollen, in blood, cleaning my nose, being weak. And when I start thinking about the operation - cuts, lifting skin, shaving the hump off... I am close to fainting! And I have no family here to take care of me, so I may need to hire some nurse for the first couple of days to look after me. This is a major concern for me.

I am a huge blackheads fighter, I fight them every day, can't imagine what my nose will look like after the operation. One girl here mentioned that her nose was all in blackheads after the cast was taken off. How long is it until you can touch your nose? Can you see the scar? Will the nose remain numb for the rest of the life? Does it hurt to eat and talk after the operation?

I still have questions but more to people who went through this, who can really share the experience. Though some stories here answered some of my questions. Is there a person in Calgary who had rhinoplasty with Dr Whidden I can meet and talk to? Or may be someone can show me some before and after pics from Dr Whidden? He says he has no portfolio as people prefer not to share the pics with their face.

The bottom line is: I am still scared. But I want the op so badly!

For those who believe in this kinda stuff: The...

For those who believe in this kinda stuff:

The phase of the Moon, as well as its current Zodiac sign, also contributes to the results we achieve through surgery. The Full Moon, for example, is the most inopportune time to have a surgery. Our body's fluids are the highest during a Full Moon, so we will have a greater chance of swelling, hemorrhaging, and other adverse effects. Try to avoid scheduling a surgery 5 days before or after the Full Moon. The New Moon, however, is the best time to have an operation. The body's fluid levels are the lowest, and there is less of a chance of swelling or complications.

Helpful Tips For Planning Surgery:

Try to plan an operation when the moon is transitting through a FIXED sign (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, or Aquarius). The surgeon's hands should be steady, and no further complications should arise.
Avoid surgeries during a Mars retrograde or a Mercury retrograde. Mars is the planet that rules surgeons, so when it goes retrograde, the surgeon may not be at their steadiest or performing thier best. A heavy loss of blood can occur during a Mars retrograde. Mercury is the planet of communication, so when it goes retrograde, it can mean confusion, miscommunication, mistakes, and mix-ups.
Re-schedule an appointment if it falls on a Moon's void-of-course day. The Moon is void-of-course when it has left one sign and has yet to enter another. It is NOT a day for action; nothing will happen. You will end up having to go back and re-do it, something will end up getting in the way, or at the very least- nothing will come of it; no result. If you start a project during this time, it may not succeed or ever develop. The Moon needs to be in a sign in order for action to take place; no sign means no action.
Calgary Plastic Surgeon

Call me superstitious but I believe in astrology as well so I went ahead and c changed my sx day.
I'm also in Calgary, but am traveling to the US (my family lives there) to have my rhino/septoplasty in March. Have you thought about maybe going to Seattle, Las Vegas or Salt Lake City where there are more facial plastic surgeons? I know my surgery in SLC will cost about $5,000 - far less than you'd pay here in Calgary. I'd advise you to wait until you are 100% sure with your plastic surgeon. Good luck to you - we have very similar noses and I'm very ready to have mine fixed.
I looked into different options including going to the States. But I do not have any relatives there, so I will have to consider the additional expenses for the flights/accommodation for 10-14 days and most likely a nurse for the first 24 hours... It comes to the same price as having it done here in Calgary:(
You will have to keep us updated on your journey! I am from Calgary as well and I'm still unsure of what doctor I'll choose. I had a consultation with Kristina Zakhary a few years ago, never ended up going threw with it though. Good luck with you surgery!
The more I think about it the more nervous I become!:)) I want to see how things go with .MissK's surgery before I book mine! There are not too many people here who did a nose job in Calgary, most if them are from the US, so it's hard to choose a surgeon.
To tell you the truth, the closer it gets the more nervous I become. I've wanted it so bad for so long, and now I can't believe I'm finally going through with it. The reason I chose my surgeon is because he told me most of his rhinoplasty patients see him for secondary/revision surgeries which apparently are way more complex. So basically he fixes other doctors mistakes. That made me feel at ease. The best way to find a surgeon is to go on many consults and find the doctor who can be realistic about giving you what you desire and finding one you truly feel comfortable around. I would also suggest making a list of questions to take with you so you don't forget to ask certain things that you would like to know regarding the surgery
how consults did you have and with who before you decided to go with Dr Haas? if you could share your feelings about the surgeons you decided not to go with, please share! there's not much info about Calgary surgeons specializing in nose jobs here, so any info would be helpful!
I have a surgery booked with Dr de Haas on february 1st. He also didn't have a portfolio with pictures to show me. They told me this is because patients are satisfied with the result and don't bother to show up for the 6 month post op appointment. It makes me nervous, but so far he seems like a good doctor. I will post my experience when the cast comes off. If I had done better research before booking my surgery, I wish I would've had the chance to see Dr Kristina Zahkary. She has nothing but good reviews and she specializes in facial cosmetic surgery. Hope this helps :)
I'm glad you did not go with Kristina as I saw couple of bad reviews that scared me away. I also saw her doing a lot of advertising and publicity, including interviews on TV and in my opinion it is a big "no-no", good surgeons don't need that kind of stuff, they are well known by the word of mouth already. Good luck with your surgery next Friday!!!
.MissK, how was your surgery?
My surgery went really well! I had a bit of difficulty recovering from the anesthesia. It made me so sick for the entire day making it hard for me to have water and take my pain meds. I feel my pulse throbbing in my nose from the swelling which is putting pressure the cast. The pain is tolerable, more uncomfortable than anything.
I'm glad all went well. I hope you feel better by now and recovering!
You can do it! It sounds like something you want really badly it a week-2 weeks tops of discomfort then just boredom while you heal. It's only a week out of your whole life. You could consider an overnight stay at a hospital for 1 or two nights. It's only days 1-3 that you would need assistance. The more u watch videos and ready about it the more used to it and desensitized you will be. Skin will be crap but it's only for awhile. It will sort itself out you can always get some prescribed cream like a low dose retin a. I have acne but my doctor said to just dot the cream on the area or zit and I swear it's gone the next day!
Hello! You are a very pretty woman already, even with the nose you have... but certainly with rhinoplasty you will be even better looking! I wanted to quickly say two things: one, I had my son with me the first night, but after that I was alone for the next week. It was not a problem in any way to take care of myself. I also wanted to say that were it me, having been through one bad nose surgery... I would never even consider a surgeon unless I saw a ton of his before and after pictures. If you have extra $ (you mentioned you might need to hire a nurse to care for you)... please consider spending it on finding the absolute best surgeon for your face and for what you want... even if you have to travel to another city. I keep reading profiles here from doctors such as Cochran (I think in Dallas), Joseph (in New Jersey), Ciardullo (sp?) (in New York), and my surgeon: Grigoryants (in Los Angeles)... plus many others. I personally think it is far wiser to travel to the best surgeon for you, than to choose the best surgeon in your area. It might be inconvenient, but you only have one face... and if you have to have a revision, you're no longer talking $10 thousand dollars, but rather $20 - $25 thousand... with at least a one year wait in between surgeries. It's not worth it. Just as a sample of what a doctors before/after portfolio SHOULD look like... please google "Grigoryants rhinoplasty los angeles" and look at his pictures. He's got about 175 patients posted. The only way to choose a plastic surgeon is by looking at their portfolio. There are other considerations as well of course, such as cost or technique, but the bottom line is that they are using knives and other seriously invasive tools on your face, so you want someone who can prove they are very, very good at what they do with noses shaped like yours. Hope I didn't spook you, but the fact that he has no portfolio is a large red flag to me, and I couldn't not speak honestly and openly about it.
Thank you, I also think that this is bad that he has no portfolio, but he is 3rd best rated plastic surgeon in Calgary, and the board approved as well. His dad used to be a plastic surgeon too. I read a few reviews on his rhinoplasty and have not read anything bad yet. But the thing with reviews is you never know who writes them, it can just be some branding thing from his own office. The thing with the travel: it is a good idea but considering the flight/accommodation cost it might end up being way too expensive, I think I will have to stay there at least 2 weeks and wait for the cast removal, etc. And what about check-ups? Will I have to fly to the surgeon every time I need a check-up or he will refer me to a local surgeon? I would prefer to see the same doctor throughout my recovery period. So many things to think about! Ah!