Will it come off? -Calgary, AB

I got a tattoo the other day because I'm an idiot,...

I got a tattoo the other day because I'm an idiot, it's a color tattoo I hate it and want it removed. How long do I need to wait before I can get it removed? What laser is best to use, and will it even work? I don't know anything about laser removal. I also smoke and I hear that laser removal might not work on someone who smokes, is that true?

It's getting a little better

Now that I've gotten out of my house and stopped hiding in my room crying, I have gotten a little better, maybe because I'm wearing long sleeves and I don't see the tattoo, I am pretty angry at myself and the amount of regret I have is enormous, but I'm going to try to love this tattoo. I saw a quote that made me think of this situation "when something bad happens, you can let it define you, destroy you or you can let it strengthen you" I'm going to try to live by that quote, it may be difficult it may not be, but life could be worse. I just need to focus on the good in my life. Wish me luck

Interesting

A day ago I couldn't even look at my tattoo without wanting to cry now I'm sitting here looking at (still not really wanting it) but I don't want to cry, I don't think I hate it. Maybe it's because I'm too tired to cry, or maybe it's because putting myself in this mindset is helping, I know it's only been a couple days, but hopefully I can grow to fully love my tattoo and not feel like I look like an idiot with this thing on my arm. Whatever the outcome of how I feel, I do know that getting another tattoo is very unlikely to happen. This site has helped, it stopped me from jumping into laser removal the second I got this thing, I probably would of regretted laser removal more then the tattoo, and the fact that getting rid of it can take years, well I'm pretty sure I can't mentally handle that.

I'm not sure if you are still on this site but I just waned to say that I hope you are doing well!
Just checking in to see how you are feeling :) Hope you are enjoying the holiday season!
We all can relate. I am 38 years old and thought I had a brain! Guess I was wrong! lol..I went and got a tattoo on my forearm and I allowed the artist to have too much freedom which resulted in a tattoo that is bigger than what i wanted and too high up on my forearm..I wanted just a little tattoo in my wrist. What gets me through is just telling myself it is just a tattoo, a lot of people have them and likely a lot of people have worse ones than you. Don't let it define you.I too thought of tattoo laser removal but through my research, I found that it really is only a procedure for those who truly cannot live with their tattoo. It is a lengthy, expensive and emotionally, physically draining experience. So, while I don't love my tattoo, I have made the choice to live with it. At least until the tattoo removal process advances which I truly believe it will. Good Luck and thanks for sharing your story! We are here to support you.
I know how you feel. I got a stupid toast on my leg because my boyfriend begged me and I regretted it literally as they were doing it.. sooooo stupid. I'm in business school andI ccan't wear skirts now becuase of it... it really bothers me its ugly and sometimes I obsess over it. But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter... count your blessings for all you do have.. random note I watched that movie soul surfer about a young woman who lost her arm due to a shark attack and it help put my situation into perspective ! I bet that girl would love to even have an arm at all even with my stupid toast tattoo or your tattoo. So yeah its not the end of the world there are wayyy worse things.. Dont let it take over you. Count your blessings and know a ton of ppl are in the same boat at you :).. kinda rambled.. its 3 am haha but I hope you get my point ;) Life goes on and on the bright side now we will all thing longggg and hard before we get a tattoo again. (I will never get a tattoo again)

nikki39063 what a great positive attitude, way to go!

I got a tattoo two days ago in the same exact spot as yours. I hate it so much I can not even look at it. I have been having panic attacks I hate it soo much.. I am looking to get mine removed by lasers or if not get it surgically removed, I dont even care how big that scar will be I can not take my tattoo. However, yours is actually really nice... but I really wish you can help me out to cope with my tattoo until I get it removed. I really wish I had listened to my parents.
Before you rush into things, give it awhile, let it heal and see what you think. I totally get where you're coming from and how you are feeling. I've had my tattoo for a week and it's slowly getting better, I'm not saying it's not hard, sometimes I still can't look at it, but I just need to keep telling myself that life could be worse, a tattoo is not the end of the world. Focus on the good in your life and maybe one day you'll wake up and realize you love your tattoo, I'm waiting for that day, I hope it comes. Just spend time with your family and friends, do things that make you happy to take your mind off of it, it makes things better. I'm here to talk if you need to. Also you should post a photo of your tattoo, I bet it's not a bad as you think it is :)

So proud of you eem91!!!

You know whats crazy? I got my tattoo two days ago in the same exact spot. It is driving me crazy. I can not stop crying and wishing I had listened to my parents. It was a spure of the moment thing... However I am either going to have it removed by lasers or have it surgically removed. I dont care if I have a huge scar I just can not even look at this tattoo.. I really hope you feel better. Your tattoo is very nice.

Happy to hear that you are feeling better, anchor those positive feelings down and keep moving forward! Way to go!!!

I'm trying! Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's hard, I just have to try not to focus on it and move on.
I like yr quote :) I really do, it kinda touched me a little...so true. I'm glad u feel better, 4reals! Take yr time no matter what u decide..we're here if u need us :)
I'm definitely going to take my time. I hope I can grow to love this tattoo
Also thank you :) Everyone on here is great, I'm sure you already know that this site is amazing, I'm glad I found it.
Glad to see you are feeling better. In all honesty, that tattoo is amazing. The work is impressive. I know you may want to remove it, but if you decide to keep it at least it is VERY well done
Hey, welcome aboard! It's a nice tattoo, but it's of course your decision and not ours. I think it's a great idea to see how you cope for a while; chances are you will learn to love it. Laser is a long and painful process so you have to be absolutely sure that you will always dislike the tattoo before you begin. Good luck either way. :-)
just dont put attention to it. i know is hard cause it is in your body but nobody cares about it. in my opinion it looks cool.
It's so hard to not pay attention to it, all I can think about is it :( But I'm trying
I think I'm going to try to live with it, see how it goes, it's not like I asked for a butterfly and he gave me this, I got what I asked for and it's a nice piece of work, my family thinks it's beautiful, even my mom said if she had this tattoo is wouldn't bother her (which shocked me) I'm just going to try to not stare at it for long periods of time and stress about it, and if in 6 months or a year it's still bothering me, then I'll look back into laser removal. It's going to be hard, I'll probably hide it for a very long time, which isn't so bad now because it's winter and long sleeves don't look weird, but when summer comes that's going to be difficult, hopefully I don't go crazy in the summer, I do like to wear summer clothing. I hope I can do this, maybe I'll grow to love it, is that possible? Am I just overreacting?
I really hope I can do this, get over this tattoo regret and learn to love it. It seems like it's going to be impossible

It's totally possible to grow to love it, hey instead of hiding it, why don't you just show it, I think it's easier to move past something when you stop hiding from it. I remember so clearly the day at the beach when I was I decided to whip off my shirt and enjoy the sun on my back...that really help me move past my fear of people seeing it...when it comes down to it, as Ulysses Roten says...no one really cares...and it's true - and for those that do...does it really matter to you? And hey, if you have your moms approval that says alot!

I really hope I can grow to love it, it's really hard though, and I think I'll wait to show it off, it's still healing so it doesn't look as pretty as it will when it's healed. And yeah, my mom saying that was a shocker, she doesn't have any tattoos so I wasn't expecting that, and my sister who has a bunch said she loves it and would have it on her body. It's just hard to look in the mirror and see it on my arm, I hope I can get over this depression that this tattoo has caused me, because if so, then maybe it won't be as bad.

My tip for you....get out and do something you enjoy and focus your thoughts else, the rest will fall into place, I promise ;)

I'm doing that, I gotta go to work, and I can't not go because of a tattoo, hopefully I can ignore the tattoo while I'm there. There are some moments where I think "this tattoo isn't too bad, I like it" and then seconds later I'm hating it and crying, this doesn't make sense to me

I read a story on line..if I find it I will private message it to you, about a girl who hated her first tattoo so much ...she wrote that after getting a few more tattoos she ended up loving her first tattoo the most and part of the reason she loved it was for it's imperfections. Enjoy your day at work :)