Patience is Key - Calgary, AB

Hello, I disliked my nose as long as i could...

Hello, I disliked my nose as long as i could remember it changing and I may have broken it when I was younger. I felt t was too large for my face in general and it had a bump. I was not exactly convinced that one day I would choose rhinoplasty but due to circumstance I decided this summer it was now or never. Telling my family was super hard on me. Nobody wants to tell other people about their biggest insecurity. And coming from a small conservative town having plastic surgery was definitely not normal. But mostly everyone took it really well. I made consulting appts with two doctors and had a very hard time deciding because of differences of cost but ultimately made my decision based on who I trusted more, and just seemed overall more skilled/ involved.

My surgery was on the 26th of June, I was freaking out a bit before but once I was getting prepped I calmed down. I woke up and felt claustrophobic because I had ice packs covering my eyes and I think I may have had a breathing mask or something on. Took me a little bit to adjust to breathing through my mouth but overall throat was not very sore and did not have much pain. I just felt like I had a headache, probably because of coming out of the drugs.

Got home and just took it pretty easy, but i noticed I started to bruise ASAP. It was a lot harder to eat than I had expected and pretty well had smoothies and apple juice for the first couple days. Second I swelled up to what I thought was the worst but days 3 and 4 were really bad. Very swollen in between my eyes and my forehead and my eyes were almost swollen shut. Changing the mustache bandage made me pretty woozy and I would shake every time because it was so gross an I was freaked out by the stitches and blood and because my tip was super high and looked pretty scary. Of course I told my doctor right before surgery I did my want a piggy nose, as she assured me she would not give me a piggy nose. I bruised really by and my eyes were all black by the second day. And stayed pretty bruised for about 6 days before it was getting noticably better. I kept the mustache bandage on for about a week jut cuse I couldn't stand looking at my nostrils, I was pretty darn worried for the first week that they would stay like that forever and I didn't know how I was going to get on with my life with a messed up nose. At this point i was completely regretting what i did. my doctor reassured me it was just swelling and would fall to a nice level. Thank goodness after about a week those feelings passed, definitely takes a huge tole on your emotions.

At a week I got my cast off, and stitches out, the stitches hurt pretty bad, like really long nose hair getting pulled out. I saw my new nose and was pretty happy. Was just worried about the tip being so high. My doctor then put a tape splint on which I have to keep on for a week. Which also hurt pretty bad because my nose was so tender. So it's a couple days before I et that off. I'm mostly excited about getting to wash my face!! I didn't wash my hair for the first few days and then graduated to taking short cool baths. I remember I felt pretty weak the first few days and mostly just rested in bed with lots of pillows. I've noticed my tip has started to fall, even if just a little so I'm sure it will just take time before its back to normal, that's the only thing I am feeling iffy about otherwise I think that I love my new nose. Can't wait to get back to normal although I'm a little worried about people's reactions, at work and people around town. Feel free to ask me any questions : )

2 weeks post op

Yesterday I got my tape split off!! Felt so good to be done with that itchy thing. Loving my nose so far even tho it is still pretty swollen. And am so relieved the piggy look is gone!!! All that worrying for nothing : )

hi, I am considering rhinoplasty and would you recommend dr. Kristina Zakhary? and how long did it take between the consultation and the actual surgery?
oh and also did people notice im going back to my university in about a month and I'm so scared people are going to notice although I told my surgeon that I wanted a natural final look
Nobody at my work really noticed, they found out I was having surgery but they didn't know what kind. A few people looked at me a little funny on my first day back, like they were trying to figure out what was different. Even my friends didn't notice till I told them.
Helllo, I just got my surgery done on tuesday. Today is my 5th day post op and my nose looks way to upward I am so scared i'm going to look like a pig for the rest of my life. When did your tip start to fall?? I am way too worried, I am feeling really down and starting to regret.. I would love a honest answer from you thanks
Hi, first off I can completely relate to how your feeling. I was so worried I was really depressed for the good first week. Try not to worry, the upwardness at 5 days is not how it's going to look for the rest of your life. It's more than likely a combination of the swelling and taping. I felt my nose lost most of its piggyness by 16 days, I had the cast on for a week then I had a tape cast on for a week. But after that was taken off it looked fairly normal, but I'm sure my nose is still changing and the swelling is still falling. I would also say that the final result depends on what kind of work you had done on your nose, or if you had the tip lifted ? My doctor did not change the angle of my tip. Hope this helps : )
First of all thank you for responding so quickly and yes he did lift the tip a little cause mine was droopy. That is why I'm kind of scared he lifted it more than it needed.
I'm sure he only lifted it a little : ) the drs are the experts and we've got to trust thy know what they are doing, it is their profession. Try not to worry about it, once you see your new nose I'm sure it'll look great.
Wow you look great! Your nose really suits your face.I don't think your swelling is too bad either. You probably notice it but I don't think it would be visible to others.
Thank you! Your nose looks fantastic btw!!
Wow your nose looks amazing, who was your doctor?
Thank you!! : ) I went with Dr Kristina Zakhary.

Thank you so much for sharing! Your result looks awesome already. Like zooster said, when that swelling comes down I bet you'll love your results. Please keep keeping us updated. You're so pretty!

I think your nose looks much better after surgery and it fits very well your face. Just give it a little bit time and it will look way better. Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks
How many days did it take for the bruising to go down? I'm just wondering how long it would take for someone to go back to work without people seeing that something was done.
I totally understand I'm so scared to go back to work!! For me about 95% was gone by day 12.
I had my Surgery on a Wednesday, and the swelling went down by Monday. I was sleeping upright, though - and the swelling literally moved south every day until it was gone. There were slight bruises under my eyes until 8 days post op, but i wore makeup. I'm brown skinned, so I think my bruises were worse. I went to work on Day 10, and I think looks-wise, and comfort level that was just right.
It is refreshing to hear someone who is so mature about the healing process. You knew that you had swelling that pushed your nose up and would get better with time. So many people write to say they don't like their nose for whatever reason and some are only a couple of days post op. Good for you and your nose looks great!! Maybellineo
Hey thanks. It was definitely worse than I expected and on those tough days nothing helps the worries. Nobody really wants to wait months for their nose to go down but I read on here that that sometimes happens. And my doc said she was 100% sure she didn't raise it so I've got hope : )