Caused Orbital Fat Loss - NOT WORTH IT! - California, CA

I started using the generic version of Latisse on...

I started using the generic version of Latisse on June 15, 2010. Shortly after, I experienced very rapid hollowing of my eyes, both upper and lower. It did make my eyelashes longer, but they were already long to begin with. It was so not worth it, I should never have tried! The problem is, orbital fat loss was not on the list of potential side effects so how would I have known?

I've only just now stopped using it because I just found out that bimatoprost can cause eye hollowing. I have mixed feelings about whether I want the fat loss to be reversible because I had fat grafting for my upper eyelids a year and a half ago. I don't want my upper eyelid fat to return, but I do want my under eyes to go back to normal. I look really tired no matter how much sleep I get all the time and I hate it. The lower eyelids seem to be a very tricky area to fix too. I really think these drug companies should be held responsible. There is a study from 2008 that suggests bimatoprost can cause orbital fat loss. There's no excuse why they shouldn't put it on the list of potential side effects!

I believe the product also caused blurry vision...

I believe the product also caused blurry vision for me. My eyesight was stable for 10 years, but after using Careprost my eyesight has been going downhill! Blurry vision is an effect of lowered pressure in the eye. I only used the product once a week and had these horrible side effects. Doesn't seem like only one drop per eye per week would be able to do so much damage. :( I really hope my conditions start to improve soon.

Depressed

I am so depressed. It has been six weeks since I stopped using Careprost and there are no signs of improvement. When will it start getting better? Also, lawyers don't seem to think anything can be done about this. :(

Hi there- I posted a reply on the other page- meant to post here but look on the other post about periobital change due to latisse:)
I'm so sorry! It did take mine a really long time to reverse- and I have otherwise really thick (or fatty) eye lids by nature due to lack of epi fold (Asian eyelid) so maybe my return to baseline was faster than what someone with the same amount of fat 'loss'. In other words, it took me a long time to be able to notice the loss because of how thick my eyelid is naturally and maybe the 'thickness' helped it change back to pre latisse. Does that make sense? I'm trying to give you hope because the amount of change was huge- from full Asian eye to appearing like I had one western and one Asian eye. Now when I tried it again for two weeks to see if this was real I saw a tiny bit of loss and stopped at the first sign of change. I'm sorry about the legal stuff too! If I can help let me know
When I say I used myself as a research project I don't mean I did it to myself on purpose! It occurred over time using Latisse. I stopped and it wooly reversed itself. Curiousity got the better of me (am a researcher at heart and I hoped the effect was not from latisse- and it had reversed. Although my lashed amazingly did not go back to their pre use sparseness or length they were also not near the treatment outcome effect for which I had used it...so I thought hmmm interesting, I will just use it for two weeks. BAM- left eye periobital fatloss!)
Please see my other postings about periorbital fat loss. Perhaps it you brought it a few journal articles from peer reviewed academic sources your lawyer would look more closely. It does cause periorbital fat loss, and not necessarily in a bilateral manner. It has been documented. And only recently has it been added to the possible side effects (although not on all information/enclosures, which is maybe how your lawyer could approach this. Since it was not included in FDA trials the side effects are not well know nor well published. In fact most care providers do not know this- as noted on some sites by MDs. However, I have my PhD and work in medicine and all I can say is it is appalling that the drug company has not done more research or made more effort to educate prescribers). It happened to me. Was reversible- but I still have a faint line from where the fat reduction made my traditional Asian eyes more westernized- ie. double folded crease. I used myself as a research project:) and yep, Latisse caused it. I know this is underwhelming as an N of one but comb the internet, print out of the articles. Contact the authors. Btw, I hope your eyes return to their previous state. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Mine completely returned back. I would guess with the short amount of time yours will too but if they do not there is evidence in the research world that you aren't alone. Several papers have been published and at least one author noted they continued to gather data. Best of luck!!
Thank you for the comment. There was hardly any information on this before but now that other people are coming forward I know I'm not crazy! I found one lawyer that showed interest but when I said I only used Careprost they said nothing can be done because generic drug companies have an immunity. They are only required to put whatever the name brand puts on their warning labels. How long did your eyes take to return to normal? I don't think mine will go back because I haven't used Careprost for a year and a half and my eyes look as hollow as ever. :(
I used latisse for about 2 years. After a couple of days when I first applied it, I noticed a change under my right eye area. The orbital area. It seemed as though it was a bit darker, maybe purplish color but only when I washed my face. Easily covered with makeup, I blew it off that I was tired and maybe slept on that side. Slowly I saw a change in my right under eye area. I applied latisse with a light touch on both eyes but saw deepening of under eye circles and purple color under right eye only. There's no way this is due to latisse bc I apply it to both- right? Wrong. No online literature at the time supported orbital fat loss from latisse. I couldn't find a link so I continued to use latisse. My lashes were fabulous. Loved them! One day I looked in the mirror and I looked so tired and old. (I was 36) Mainly under my right eye. My right eye shape had slightly changed. I researched again and this time I saw documented cases of the same thing. Horrified, I wondered if I had caused permanent damage to this eye. It was sunken in a bit, makeup couldn't cover the dark circles. I
Stopped using latisse and after over a year, it appears to have reversed itself and my eyes look back to normal. Hang in there.
You're lucky your eyes went back to normal. It has been a year and a half for me and my eyes still look terrible. I'm wondering if its because my adrenal hormones are out of whack. I heard that causes sunken eyes. Maybe after I fix my hormones the fat will grow back like it did for everyone else. Your story gives me hope because you used Latisse for a long time like me. When your eyes went back to normal was it a gradual change that happened over months or did you just wake up one day and your eyes looked better?
Hi Violett, I was wondering if you have found any possible surgeons to do fat grafting for lower eyes. I too lost volume beneath eyes trying to grow thicker eyebrows. I am interested in fat transfer and fat grafting. Fat grafting for eyes seems more legit for eyes, right? Please update me on your search for a doc. I know how it feels and I too have to save money. I just need to find the perfect doctor.
Hi catgirl, do you mean pearl fat grafting vs. fat injections? I thought pearl fat grafting sounded better too but when I went to my consultation, the doctor, who does both, said I would not benefit from pearl fat grafting because my lower eyelids might show lumps from the pearls. I think pearl fat grafting is more for people who have more extreme cases of fat loss. I saw your lower eyelids picture and they look just like mine so maybe you would do better with fat injections too. Anyway, the doctor I went to is Dr. Shorr in Beverly Hills and he is supposed to be an expert in fat grafting for the eyes so I recommend him.
Thank you Violett. So, basically a lower bleph with fat repositioning? I know that it can be done through a bleph or without bleph with fat injections. I was looking at Kami Parsa.. his pics are good but I am unsure of his prices and his approach. I live like 700 miles from Los Angeles but I plan to go within 6 months. I am avoiding make up under eyes cause I feel it accentuates them. Ugh! I am afraid to try fillers, too. So yeah, I hate this but thank you. I will check that doc out now! Keep us updated please! I will too.
No, he said a lower bleph with fat repositioning wouldn't be worth it either because I really only have a tiny bit of fat protruding. He would just do fat injections for me. I don't live near Los Angeles anymore either but my family's there so it's not too inconvenient to go there. I was thinking if I go at Christmas time I can get it done around then and I will keep you updated! I found one makeup technique that helps a little. I use Clinque's even better concealer (I think this or a concealer with a similar consistency will work the best) in a shade a little lighter than my skin and use a tiny brush to apply it only to my tear troughs. It doesn't make the hollows disappear completely but it makes a difference.
Same here. I have not had a pro evaluate me yet but I only have a little bit of fat in my right tear trough. Otherwise I look hollow and tired. I hate these tear troughs! I will try that make up tip, thank you! As for fat injections I have been looking at a few docs in L.A. I am even considering rhino just to boost my appearance. These tear troughs have me down and judgmental! I hope we get recovered quick and beautifully. Just be sure to get your vitamins. I am drinking a Vegan nutrition shake once a day. I am not Vegan but so much vitamins. Tons of water!
I know, I can't wait for my eyes to go back to normal! Maybe this will make you feel better since we have a similar case but the doctor said 9/10 women would still be happy with my under eye contour. So I guess it really doesn't look that bad in everyday lighting, just in my overhead bathroom lighting. I was soooo self conscious so it was good to hear that. Oh and another thing that will help you recover is taking Sineech and then a lower dose of arnica montana. I did that for my other fat grafting and the doctor and nurse couldn't believe how fast I was recovering!
I'm so glad I found this post! I used the generic version of Latisse shy under a year to achieve longer lashes. Like a lot of victims who used this dangerous lash lengthener, the ungodly changes popped up out of nowhere. I woke up one morning to dark circles and fine lines under my eyes. After hours on the internet my worst fear was confirmed that I was experiencing orbital fat loss. Of course no dermatologist or cosmetic center who sells this product will admit these side effects. However , any person with a brain can determine that this product penetrates into the skin and chances are if it can cause a purple line on your eyelid and change the color of your iris then of course it can change anything in the region above or below the eye. Even literature proves it. I have stopped using this product for 4 months and while my lids are lighter they are by no means returned to normal. As far as fat loss around my eye? It is still there and looks like I haven't slept for weeks. Sadly, a cosmetic surgeon said my only way out of this mess is to have fat grafting under my eyes and have my troughs filled for a whopping 6,000 which I am saving up for. I truly don't know what's worse bring 32 with under eye fat loss or prominence my lines under my eyes. I hope people think twice about using this drug because eventually you will see changes and hopefully you will be the lucky ones that invest with time and patience instead of thousands of dollars to fix it. If anyone would like me to send pictures who don't believe me I will be more than happy to send them.
I'm sorry to hear that the same thing happened to you! I have not used Careprost for almost 15 months and the fat loss has not reversed so I guess the changes really are permanent. I'm saving up for fat grafting too. It will be about $5,000 and I already spent $8,000 on my first upper eyelid fat grafting. What an expensive mistake. Like you, I feel like I look tired all the time so I really want to fix this even though people say I don't need to. Maybe it's not as noticeable as I think, but it feels so much worse knowing that these changes aren't natural and should never have happened.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

The reason I ramble on about the wrinkles was because the skin under my eyes thinned out which gave me dark circles and also made my once very very microscopic smile lines turn to very very noticeable fine lines. But like I said if you use the rentin a on eyelid and below it will make the discoloration lighter or even gone and the lines disappear.
Can you tell us if the fat loss has reversed? I think I'm noticing it happen to me & I'm getting a bit freaked out!
It has been almost a year since I used careprost and I haven't seen the fat grow back. I heard it can take 15 months so I guess there's still a chance it can grow back but I have a feeling it probably won't. I'm sorry that it happened to you too but hopefully you'll have better luck!
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! That's not the answer I was hoping for. Did you compare with past photos? Maybe there's been some partial improvement? Do you mind if I ask how long did you apply it daily? How many times a week did you apply it in the maintenance stage, and how long were you on it total? Sorry for so many questions. I'm really sorry you had this happen. Maybe there is some procedure or cream to plump the eyelids back up? My friends say my eyes look the same but I'm pretty sure they're changing...
I do look pretty much the same as in old photos. I applied it everyday for however long the instructions say...I think it was 3 months. Then I applied it once a week but every once in a while, if my eyelashes were longer on one side, I would apply it everyday to that side until they evened out. I used it for about 3 years total. I feel dumb for using it for so long but I attributed the fat loss to other things that I started using at the same time. How long did you use it for? It seems that everyone else said that fat loss reversed for them. I think I used it way too long and that's why it hasn't reversed for me. :( I don't think there is any way to plump the eyes back up. I did find one product meant for hollow eyes. It's made by Isomers but it didn't work for me. I think the only way to fix it is fat grafting or fillers. I don't think people really notice my fat loss either but it looks bad to me! I think it's one of those things where you don't look as good but people don't understand why. It makes me feel a little better that other people don't notice though. Did you have fat loss only in your upper eyelids or in your lower eyelids too? Another thing is the brush I used was way too big and I really saturated it. I didn't know the stuff was so strong. I probably used way more than most people do so maybe that's another reason my fat loss hasn't reversed.
I'm sorry you had to deal with that! Hopefully it's one of those things that other people don't notice. I used it for 6 weeks. I've stopped for 2 nights & I already see my eyelids going back to normal. I MAY try applying it again in a few days & only using a tiny amount right on the lashline. Before I was loading the brush up with it & dabbing it on my eyebrows too! The left eye is the one that seemed to have fat loss & that's where I'd dab it on my eyebrow. Either way I'm gonna update my review so other girls are aware of this side effect!
That's not long at all, it's good that you caught it early. I'm glad your eyes are going back to normal already! Yea, you don't even need to see the product on the brush. I thought I needed to feel it on my lashline or it wasn't enough but that was a mistake. Thank you for reviewing your experience. I think more people need to be aware of this effect so they know to stop using it right away before there is permanent damage.

Thank you for sharing this experience. I hope you find support from our community.