I Was Burned by Vaser/Smart Lipo on my Inner Thigh

I had the Vaser/Smart Lipo procedure done on April...

I had the Vaser/Smart Lipo procedure done on April 3, 2009 on my inner thigh, stomach, and love handles. After reading some of the reviews I had some concerns but really got caught up in how my body could look better. I have two children and had c-sections with both so my stomach was a bit saggy.

I worked out on a regular basis and those were the areas that would never go away. I weigh @115 pounds and am 5 1' so I did not have a lot to lose in terms of fat. It took me about a year to decide to go forward and have the procedure done. I am two weeks out and if I could go back I would probally say I wouldn't do it.

I have had a lot of pain in all the areas I have had done. It is still sore to sit. Most importantly the reason why I wouldn't do it again if I could go back in time is the fact that I got burned.

When I met with my doctor to review the risks, he brought up the risk of getting burned, he also said he was very good and had never burned anyone before and rest assured he would not burn me. After the procedure, I believe that he knew he burned me but did not tell me. I went for my week post visit and he was not there...it was Good Friday and the nurse saw me and gave me wrong information on how to treat the burn.

The reason I know this is because I went back on the following Monday to see the doctor because I was very worried about the burn and all the pain I was having. He did seem very concerned and told me how to treat the burn...but that was about it.
In terms of the results of the procedure, if you plan on doing your inner thighs, I would think twice. I saw immdeate results on my love handles and my stomach is shrinking, I think that will take a little more time.

The jury is still out regarding my inner thighs. I am still very uncomfortable and numb in the areas I had done. I am hoping that will go away soon (that was one of my main concerns with the procedure) so I can get back to some kind of workout routine and have some normalcy back in life. I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

I have always had issues with my body no matter what size I am, it took this experence to finally make me accept the body that God gave me and be happy. No more procedures for me that is for sure.

Smooth Solutions

Just make sure you know all the facts before you have this proceedure done. It is not quick and easy, and there is pain involved afterwards. He did not tell me he burned me, I had to bring it up to him in order to receive proper treatment.

The point made is the the bruising shows the bands were to tight to have been able to give the pattern of the pad itself... plus the hole as you state has a cut going lengthwise of the hole, as if something was pushed inward with a tip and thin edge... a laser burn will produce a blackened mark as the area it has burned also is cauterization upon the burn... @Jakkie it is impossible to get to big burn holes from the laser, as there is 6-9 lasers on a single pad, you are more like to get them from parts of the assembly heating up from over use (there is supposed to be a cool down period between use)... in all cases misuses and not the device is to be blamed
Chris, so what you are saying is that the Dr. didn't let it cool down!!! I did ask him if it was too hot, he said no!!! Well, I went in for a mild tweak.. Im 110 lbs, athletic and health fanatic. Can't wear pants anything, My right thigh is still %$&* open and so painfiul. i have an incredibel Dr. who also removed my implants before with reconstructive surgery, piece pf cake. Have any suggestions, willing to listen :)
I looked closely at that photo, that is not a burn, it is a bruise, the discoloration is not correct for it to be associated as a burn

It looks like too much pressure was placed upon that area, very similar in the way a rubber band on the wrist too tight will leave a same color mark in a ring.

Why is there and incision mark higher up on your thigh, there is something about that photo that is not consistent
There is bruises on her thigh area, but at the top of her thigh there is a hole ( the area where the tip of the laser was left to long) and burned her from the inside out. I have also been burned like this almost in the same area, it is TERRIBLE! and Painful! I had 2nd degree burns,first starting with a Large blister, then opening and turned black because my skin died. So Yes, its is correct. Its not at the opening where the cannula is put in the skin, its where they are moving it around and leave it to long, I have seen several woman that have also been burned in that area (wondering if its because of the skin being so thin there???) Don't know for a fact, but seen quite a few on this sight with the same. But Just so you know Chris A, that it is a very Unfortunate thing, to happen to anyone.But I know its because the laser is left there to long and is to close to the surface of the skin.
Oh no, that is a burn..... I just had inner thigh lipo 2 mnths ago and I have to big burn holes. One is healed the other is still open, however my Dr. put me on strong cram antibiotic and sees me twice a week.
The doctor admitted that he burned me. He send me home with burn cream ( but didn't tell me at that point the he burned me). It wasn't until I confronted him that he admitted it. So look again!
I'm having my inner thigh done with smartlipo triplex tomorrow morning.
I'm nervous, I hope they will drug me. 2 years ago I had vaser high def
That was fantastic.
I hope I can walk straight.
I'm Sooo Sorry.. I submitted my comment and for some reason it is on here more than once.. I sure hope you have a button on you side Sue to delete the extra comments. Never had that happen before again I apologize... Julieanne
Hi Sue,

I was just browsing through some medical stuff and ran across your problem with your thighs and being burned... I agree with let things stay as they are but when I had my smart Lipo done it was to correct a surgical area the Plastic Surgeon had created. I was assured by the Cosmetic Surgeons, that this would be fast, inexpensive and I would be able to go home the same day... I hope you ended up with some good results... If you want to see what was done to me I am on here also... We both must of had our lipo's done around the same time... I am still waiting for a surgeon to fix me... Most want the money up front even tho I have good insurance and this now is a Need Surgery not a Want Surgery. I have had this open area on my abdomen for almost 3 years and bleed daily.. I just finished fighting my way through another high fever that lasted for a couple of days, I feel better now...Here is the link to my original question even tho I am a retired Registered Nurse I was able to tell at first if this was the way I was suppose to look and feel as I have never done anything like this before... So the question link... http://www.realself.com/question/body-contouring-side-effects-when-is-time-see-my-doctor Then this next link should take you right to my 6 month update until now... I surely hope yours was resolved by now...I will say on this link that I have posted some graphic photo's so if you have little ones around or those who can't stand the sight of blood not all of these pictures are PG.. the link http://www.realself.com/review/im-back-over-6-months-later-update Sending you a big Pacific NW Hug.. Julieanne
Hi Sue,

I too got burned 6 weeks ago all over my torso, it has been extermely painful and I hope I don't scar, how did you ladies prevent scarring?
how is the scar healing? can you describe it?
I work in nursing and know so many people who are unhappy with smartlipo. They far overweight the high plus feedback which makes me suspect the company is using hidden marketing to pretend more patients are happy with the procedure than they really are.
How did you know you were burned? like signs and symptoms I recently got my calves done a week ago, when I lie down its not painful but the moment I stand I have a burning sensation sometimes so intense I cant walk. Im still pretty bruised up so I can't tell... I would really appreciate your reply
Sorry for the delay in my response, I don't check my email regularly. I knew I was burned because I had an actual burn on my inner thigh. I hope you had better results than me. I have not seen any change and I believe I am bigger than before I had the procedure.
OMG. I'm so sorry for your experiences. I am healing from innner/outer thighs and knees and reading your reviews are scaring me. I wish you both the best in the future!
Hi I am planning to do my inner thighs and I was wondering how your thighs look now?
I am sorry to hear about your burn, I to was burned by my doctor, in 2 places, one was 3in by 4 in in diameter, its been almost 3 months, and I am finally coming to the end of it, still closing up, its been painful and a BAD experience!!I am not sure if its the dr or the lipo they are doing...If your doctor was not or is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Run, so many doctors can get a week end coarse in "Cosmetic surg" and say they are Board Cert Cosmetic Surg" but they arent... Get a second opinion,to make sure you dont scar.. The best to you.
I have a terrible burn on my jawline. It has been over three weeks and the burn does not seem to be closing up. It has a scab like dry covering but doesn not flake off. I can't find any information on how it heals. Can you desrribe the healing process over the three months?
I am numb in places too six months later. I also got burned but it turns into a nice scar :( The worst part is that I am still the same size. I have nothing to show for $10,000 except scars and a new lumpy roll under my belly button that didn't exist before surgery. My stomach was pretty flat to begin with. I can still grab a handful of fat on my inner thighs after the surgery didn't work and the doctor did it a second time. Sad to report this surgery is a ripoff.
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I specically asked the doctor about the numbness and he said "no problem, you should be more concerned about getting burned...but I won't do that because I am good". I just wish I listened to my gut and didn't do it in the first place. I am still healing, it has been three weeks now. My thighs are uneven and have indentations and my stomach is no where near where I expected it to be. I am hoping that in time that will still go down some more...they say three months...I will stay hopefull. Did your doctor offer to give you any kind of refund since it did not work and you were burned?