Had Scleratherapy Yesterday - Buffalo, NY

I finally did it! My dermatologist offered it and...

I finally did it! My dermatologist offered it and the price seemed reasonable ($100 for one leg or vial-my insurance doesn't cover this procedure).

The reason: I was tired of applying concealer to MY LEGS. My spider veins aren't that bad (a good tan covers most of them). But they've bothered me aesthetically for at least 10 years now (I'm 39). Especially in the beginning of bare leg season, I feel very self-conscious.

So yesterday afternoon I had scleratherapy! The procedure itself was more uncomfortable than I thought it would be. The injections don't hurt - very minimal. However the stinging afterward (fluid injection) is what's very uncomfortable. It's not bad for isolated veins but if they're in a cluster, it isn't pleasant. After the doctor worked on an especially troublesome section on my calf, i was relieved to have her start injecting other parts of my leg to distract me from that area!

After the procedure I felt pretty faint. I sat and drank some water and tried to compose myself for about 5-10 minutes. Then I was able to leave the doctor's office. I walked to my car and sat there for about 45 minutes. I have a stick shift (manual) car and moving my legs to drive was uncomfortable. I should have had someone take me to the appointment.

For another hour or so I felt a little remnants of stinging and it was bit sore to walk. I applied ARNICA gel to the legs to minimize bruising.

This morning I am feeling MUCH better but still a bit sore. I have to admit looking at my legs with the bruising makes me woozy. It's pretty gross looking.

I'm hoping this works!!!

Lynn Amarante

She's REALLY fast and super efficient. She's not a doctor for people who are afraid of procedures because her bedside manner might seem hurried to some. I prefer this type of doctor because I want to get it done quickly before I chicken out.

I would love to hear if the Sclerotherapy worked for you or not. I'm 34 and am considering it for some clustered veins on the back of my knee. It sounds uncomfortable, but if the results were good I'd be willing to go through with it.

Please let me know how it worked for you!!

Hi Martha,

It's been 4 days hope everything is less bruised and feeling better. I'm glad that although you were bruised and sore you still said it was "worth it." Please let us know how things are going and maybe share some pictures.

Thanks!