This Really Hurts! - Buffalo, NY

I had this procedure done at 10:30am. Three...

I had this procedure done at 10:30am. Three sessions at 15 minutes each. I had just gotten 7 mini dental implants the week before and dentist threw in the whitening for free. Normally costs $350.

Procedure went very smooth, no discomfort whatsoever, no gagging. It was a breeze. That was until 4:30pm when my teeth started getting super sensitive. By 5:30pm, they were getting painful. By 6pm I was crying on and off for the rest of the night until I passed out at 1am. My nerves were throbbing in my teeth.

When you get this done from what I understand, the pores of your enamel are opened which exposes your nerves. This is where the pain comes from. I went dramatically whiter, but I couldn't take the pain away with anything. I have had several children with natural childbirth, no painkillers or epidural, and I didn't even cry or scream. I haven't cried from pain since I got my nose broke when I was 6 years old! I only had one zinger and wished i had multiple zingers instead of the constant throbbing nerve pain.

You need to make sure you are visiting a well-reputed dentist with proper training in the technique. My cosmetic dentist is the top one in the north east US. He's the one who perfected mini-dental implants. The dental tech was super careful to cover all soft tissues, so I didn't get blisters or anything. You need to make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing. The pain didn't come from anything my dentist or his tech did, it was the aftermath of giving your teeth sunburn with hydrogen peroxide. I don't think you can get away from this pain, so you need to expect it if you are going to go through this procedure.

I am not a vain person, so I thought this procedure was not worth it for the pain. However, one who is more concerned about their looks may not mind the pain for vanity. I would rather get 7 more implants screwed in my jaw bone before I would do this procedure again. The implants hurt horribly, but I could take the pain away with Motrin. I guess it is a matter of preference - whitestrips for months and no pain, or whitening in an hour with pain for the rest of the night. It is a trade off you need to think carefully. My teeth are just sensitive now, but I can handle it. It was the deep nerve pain that I couldn't take. If you elect to get this procedure, expect the pain.

If he is anything like his brother the plastic surgeon, I completely understand. I had implants by this guy and I need to have a revision. Horrible!

For people considering getting Zoom done read Dr. Peter Mann's answer on this Q&A. He gives some tips on how to prepare your teeth before having the treatment done to help decrease sensitivity.

Buffalo Cosmetic Dentist

This cosmetic dentist is one of the top ones in this country. This dentist perfected the mini-dental implants. I will trust no other cosmetic dentist to my teeth. He is very gentle and has a great bedside manner. Nothing anyone in his office did caused me this pain, it was the UV light and peroxide. Highly recommend this dentist.