Retin-a: Initial Breakout 8 Months Long. I Miss my "Before" Skin! - British Columbia, BC

I'm 20 years old and I've had acne since I was 8...

I'm 20 years old and I've had acne since I was 8 (yes, 8!). For a number of years, I kept it mostly under control with topical antibiotics, but last summer, I had a major breakout, the worst I've had since high school. I was put on a short course of antibiotics and then .01% of Retin-a to prevent any more breakouts. My skin in the first picture is fairly clear due to the antibiotics; it was much worse before them.

I was on .01% for about four months, and my skin got slightly worse, but not much. I wanted my skin to be perfect, so I got .025%, hoping it would clear everything up. That did NOT happen!

My skin broke out more than it did before Retin-a (though not as much as during my summer breakout), but this time it started to leave behind icepick scars! I'd never had scarring from my acne before.

I suffered through that for about three more months. On March 24th, I went back to the doctor and he diagnosed me with cystic acne and gave me .05% Retin-a. At this point I don't feel very hopeful about Retin-a, but I thought I might as well try again. It's been about a week and I think I might see a bit of improvement, but it's too early to tell for sure.

A little over a week

I wear makeup every day, so I thought I'd post a picture of how my skin looks with makeup on. I think it looks all right, but not great, and you can definitely tell close up.

My acne was immune to Retin-A!

Sorry for not updating this in so long. After still not getting any real results from Retin-A, my doctor determined that I have intractable acne, meaning my acne didn't respond to normal treatments (doesn't that just sound great!). Even though my acne was never really severe, I got put on a Canadian form of Accutane called Clarus. So far, it has been AMAZING! My skin is finally getting better!