Melanage Minipeel (For Hyperpigmented Skin and Melasma) - Bristol, CT

I'm 41 years old and have not been really good...

I'm 41 years old and have not been really good to my skin at least for my first 35 years or so. Too much time in the sun, never wore sunscreen, never used professional skin care products, etc. So, the Melanage Minipeel was an attempt to undo some of the past damage and start with a new skin care regimen. The masque is applied in the office by an aesthetician. You leave wearing the masque and are given a specific time by the aesthetician to wash the masque off. During the process my skin was tingly, slightly red/warm. It was not painful. The following day my skin was tight and red...like a mild sunburn. My skin started peeling 2-4 days after the treatment, I think the 3rd day was the worst appearance wise. You are supplied with a medical-grade home-care kit during your visit and it contains everything you need for skin care during the peel and for the weeks following the peel. My brown spots/melasma have faded and I'm happy with the appearance of my skin now. See below for more details on my experience.

Lafrance Medical Aesthetics

The 600.00 price was a special... if you pay and schedule all 3 peels at once.(4 weeks apart) The peels individually are 265.00. The price also includes a medical-grade home-care kit with everything you need to care for your skin during the peel process and until your next peel. I have not used my regular skincare products (Dermaquest) since I began the peels the beginning of December! It has been a great experience going to Lafrance Medical Aesthetics! Erin the aesthetician was very knowledgeable with the Melanage products and gave me detailed instructions on how to care for my skin at home. She was also very helpful with finding me a sunscreen that I could tolerate...I have never been a fan of sunscreens (which I'm sure contributed to my spots/melasma issue) My skin is naturally oily and putting sunscreen on top of it just makes it feel greasier. Erin gave me several samples of sunscreen to try and I finally have one that works for me. ( Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free) After each peel I received a phone call the next day and had a follow up appointment so Erin could check on my progress. I took a lot of photos during the process of peeling and I will upload a few here. Over all my skin looks better than ever and I will continue to use the right products/sunscreen to keep it looking good!

Has anyone tried both a VI peel and a Melanage peel for melasma? Everything is so expensive and I can only try one...Melanage seems most expensive - Ive been quoted $800...but Ive also heard its got the greatest chance of success for stubborn problem that hasn't responded to other more conservative products and peels. Cant get straight answers because whether its a dermatologist or aesthetician office, they usual only sell one of them so thats what they market. Some of the before/after photos online just don't seem credible. Ive heard Melanage is more intense but it seems in my area also harder to find. None have guarantees and don't think I can spend $1000 if it is not going to work or come back in a few months. Im a man and don't know how I got this
Are there any more affordable treatments for melasma. Im unable to work because of serious depression and social anxiety; however, the melasma is affecting the self esteem so trying to get it treated. On my forehead and sides of face. I don't go out in the sun or beach, not pregnant or on hormones…Im male. Dermatologist has given me compounded hydroquinone cremes that have only made it worse. She says its deep and not just superficial. Salycilic and Glycolic in office peels are pricy and didn't work. I see peels offered online for fraction - glycolic, salicylic, TCA, but not sure. Read about VITAPEEL, MELANGE, VI…but if its $600-1000 for a series of peels, I cannot do that, especially with no guarantees of progress. Any thing else I can try…or is it just sunscreen, sunscreen to try to prevent it getting worse
Hi Matrod. It must be even worse for a guy cause you can t cover it up with make up. I guess u could but then people would maiby wonder why you were make up. I too quitt my job because of this. felt uncomfortable looking people in the face. but my depression doesnt get better sitting at home.
Try Murad "Essential C Daily Renewal Complex". It's around $90 but way cheaper than a peel and you only need a little bit to put on your darker areas. It's seriously amazing and the only thing I've found that can compete with Hydroquinone
Hi Matrod, I'm an esthetician and u can definitely find products to use at home to help you. It may take longer because the peels are used to accelerate the process a lot faster. Look for Global Skin by Pamela Springer and PCA. Those a relatively inexpensive for professional lines and they work. As for your pigmentation getting darker, thats normal. Sometimes depending how deep the pigmentation is, it will get darker before it lightens up. Just apply your serum day and night for 3 months just in the dark areas and then stop for about three weeks as your skin can go through a stuck faze. Your skin will get used to the lightner, so you will need to hold back for a bit. Also, using an exfoliating scrub once a week or once every 2 weeks will help. Just make sure during the process use sunscreen and a hat anytime you're out in the sun. Otherwise it will come back or worse, it can come back darker. I hope this helps. Just be patient.
I had laser skin resurfacing in October for acne scars. My doctor said she used erbium on my cheek where I had deeper scars and fraxel for the rest of my face. I was pretreated with hydroquinone to prevent hyperpigmentation which I was really concerned about. It's been 3 months and what a rough recovery. I did not expect the downtime to be so long. Going into it she said I would be presentable in a month. WRONG!The most troublesome side effects were redness and hyperpigmentation. Redness all over my face but especially on my cheeks and brownish discoloration on my cheeks,temples and mostly where she used the Erbium. I followed the after care instructions: wore sunscreen, stayed out of the sun and had to wear make up (which is very distressing for a guy). To say that it was very disruptive to my social and recreational life is an understatement. Long story short, it's been 3 months and while the redness started to subside, it was blotchy. I was more red in areas where she really went deep. The hyperpigmentation got lighter but still obvious. I was so sick of it so I consulted another clinic and they recommended Mealanage peel. It's been a week after the peel and so far I'm it looks like I will be HAPPY with the results. It did not hurt, but the first 3 days I was peeling like crazy and very red. This made me feel rather depressed and worried that I would have to go through more downtime. BUT after that the redness lessened and I could tell the brown discoloration has lightened significantly. I'm still peeling minimally and continuing with the creams they gave me. The results take up to 8 weeks for full effect. I'm very satisfied with the results so far. My skin looks more even, the pores are much smaller and the discoloration is lighter. In hindsight I'm still not sure if the laser surgery was worth the downtime. The scars have gotten shallower and my doctor says benefits from laser continue up to 6 months. I am certain though that I would not want to relive the past 3 months.
I work at a medspa that private labels the mini melenage peels. Well anyone they sell kits with and without the cream, obviously the one without is cheaper. Well when we sell a package of more then one peel we usually offer 3 kits and only the first one has the melenage cream, however we explain to the client that the peel is most effective for stubborn hyperpig when done every 4 weeks I'm s series of 3. However the cream is only good for 4 months and if used every 1-2 nights it def is plenty. Hope that helps!!!
I bought the 3 series of the mini melanage peel and I got a small night cream each time... I thought that one would last the entire 3 series but maybe some places are different, I would call and ask before you come to any conclusions. Where do you go for your treatments? Are you happy so far? This is the best my face has looked in a long time and I've spent thousands of dollars on products and other treatments. Theres still a little scaring but VERY lightened now. All my friends have noticed and complimented. I have the acne pits too on my cheeks but not too bad at all, but my place was talking to me about doing Frazle to fix that. I'm looking into it now.
A question to all those who have had two or more mini peels in succession. I had my 2d peel this week and was given everything, except the full-size jar of melanage cream. The cosmetician was acting like the jar from the first kit should last me, but I paid the same price for both peels and I am feeling pretty ripped off at this point. So did everyone else get full size melanage cream jars with each successive mini peel? If she refuses to give me the second jar when I go back in two weeks, what recourse do I have?
JoannaCT, so you did 3 peels and it didn't work? Hummm, that's not good then. I'm very lucky to say I don't have acne problems or ever had in the past. My only issue is the non-stop growing dark spots below my eyes n cheek bones. I have good skin- not oily or dry. I don't tan nor apply make-up, but do only during special occasion. I do apply moisturizer and sunscreen....so I don't know why I get these ugly dark patches-like on my face. I'm seriously thinking on doing the regular peel.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I hope you fins a solution soon. Let me know when you do.
Hi Jess41. My appt is next week on Thursday to do the one-time regular peel (not the mini) bc my doctor thinks I'm the perfect candidate for the one-time and didn't think I need multiple treatments. However, I'm so nervous and skeptical. I'm scared of the results. It will cost me $700. And this includes the take home kit as well. What if it doesnt work; $700 down the drain!!!! I've done all the research on line and there where both neg and pos about the peel. So I don't know what to do. So, how's your peel so far? Is this a perm fix or does it req multiple peels? I would like to see if we can email each other exclusively for further support and tips. Pls let me know. Thx.
I just went for my 3rd and final peel. I'm somewhat happy with the results, the pictures def prove that my scars are lightened but I'm still not satisfied, they are still noticeable to me and after 3 peels I thought they would be completely gone. I also have acne pits and was under the impression it would "smooth" out my skin and make that less noticeable but havent seen much change there and I asked and they said no I would have to do a completely different treatment and it was laser, I believe she said razzle? not really sure and havent researched it yet. But I've come to the conclusion that maybe from all the tanning and not wearing sunscreen since my acne started (which was years ago) I've just done so much damage and I need to give it more time and maybe more treatments, everyones skin is different... good luck!
my skin was looking great until i took a trip to st. lucia and got some sun...now my melasma is back with a vengeance! i was using sunscreen while there but i guess it wasn't enough. now my cheeks are all brown and splotchy again as well as right above my eyebrows and my upper lip! (yuck) my advice to you would be do it but stay out of the sun completely after. i'm wearing a big hat and sunscreen now. i don't regret doing the peels, i think it has made the texture and fine lines better...it's just the melasma that's acting up now. i may just laser (fraxel) it this fall when i don't have to worry about the sun any more. (until next summer)
Me too, I have NEVER wore sunscreen but I'm going to now. Just went to my follow up and saw the before pictures, my skin looks so much better. I told her my skin is a lighter color but she says its normal bc the peel takes out the melasma so once it heels I'll look much better by next week :) I'll post pictures if I can get them from her!
I Went to Lafrance Aesthetics for the mini peel and I'm on day 4, I can def. See a difference already, I can wait to see afer my 3rd mini peel!
yes, i'm already planning to do some more in the fall. i am going to wear sunscreen all summer but i'm sure i'll do some damage over the summer! keep me updated on your progress!
Looks great... how long until you stopped peeling? I am on day 5 and am still peeling!
i think i was done by day 5, maybe just some little spots here and there. i did notice that i had to use the products that came with the peel for weeks after...every time i tried to go back to my usual products (derma quest) i would start peeling again. i used the melanage products for about a month after each peel!
Thanks, i'm happy with it and I'm going to take better care of my skin now...sunscreen every day!

Wow, that peel did work well! I can see a huge difference in your after photos - very nice! Thanks for including such good pictures so we could easily see the changes.