Good Results, but It Comes with Some Pain - Brisbane, AU

I'm a 24 male, my teeth have a good alignment and...

I'm a 24 male, my teeth have a good alignment and I have small fluorosis stains on one of my front teeth. I didn't take much care of my teeth when I was a kid, and I had this global yellow coloration which made me more and more ashamed about my smile. Last year, someone made an offending comment about my teeth coloration and I started to feel worse about it. That's why I decided to take the Zoom treatment.

I had the in-office Zoom whitening performed 7 hours ago. I had a small "zinger" at the end of the first 15 mn session, and zingers became more frequent and tough over the subsequent sessions. I am pretty accustomed to dealing with pain and I believed it was worth it - especially with my dentist making comments between each session and telling me that there were visible results. In the end, I went through the four sessions and the staff was surprised that I was feeling so decontracted.

I have to tell you that there IS pain, even if the dentists puts desentizing gel between each session. You have to overcome it if you want to make it through all sessions and have the best results. This can seem difficult, but here are a few tips that I used :

- breathe as little as possible with your mouth. Use your nose to breathe during the whole process. This is to avoid air flows on the surface of your teeth
- use relaxation/meditation techniques to be as decontracted as possible.
- keep your mouth shut for the rest of the day

I still felt zingers after the four sessions. It feels as if my teeth were very sensitive. My dentist gave me custom trays with relief gel to be used for the rest of the day. I still feel pain at the moment, with a peak every now and then that lasts for a few seconds, but it's no big deal when you think about it. No pain, no gain !

I don't have before/after photos, all I can say is that the overall yellow coloration has disappeared, which is the result I wanted. My small fluorosis stains are still there, even whiter than the rest of the teeth. I'm thinking about other treatments to get rid of them (micro-abrasion or veneer), but this can wait. I wouldn't say I have the Colgate smile now, but I'll never be ashamed of smiling any more.

I hope my experience can help some of you who are hesitating about undertaking Zoom. Feel free to ask questions. I'll update this post in one week.
A. Fardoulys

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that someone made a not so nice comment about your tooth color. :-/ Sometimes I don't think people realize how saying something little like that can really dig in deep if its something we are self conscious about.

I'm so glad you were able to tolerate the whitening and that the results have helped you to feel more confident when you smile!!

Did you do the "white diet" for a couple days after the Zoom, or did you just eat like normal?