Was -4.25 in Both Eyes. Now Better Than Perfect! - Brisbane, AU

I had laser eye surgery yesterday. Despite the...

I had laser eye surgery yesterday. Despite the surfeit of online horror stories and having heard/read that everything might be a bit cloudy for a few days post-op, when I woke up this morning, I was certain that I could see better than with contacts. No haziness. No pain. No irritation. Nothing. Well anyway, I went for the follow-up just 16 hours later....20/15! And the ophthalmologist says things should continue to get crisper as the corneal inflammation abates. I'm thrilled to say the least.

The procedure was LASIK Intralase Customized Wavefront. The doctor was Peter Beckingsale here in Brisbane. Cost was $6,350 (you can get it for thousands cheaper, but I didn't want to bargain with my eyes, so I sought out the best surgeon in Queensland [does the greatest # of procedures/year], and I also went with the the Wavefront, as well as the Intralase [laser-induced flap] over the microkeratome [blade-induced flap]).

Regardless, I had planned to at least take the next day off, but I was able to go back to the lab right away as though the surgery had never happened. I 110% advocate getting it done if you're thinking about it. And for kicks, staring into the laser is actually pretty cool (like the static on a TV screen but ruby red [I mean, who wouldn't get excited over that?]).

Update: one-week post-op

Update:

I'm now one-week post-op and just went in for the one-week follow-up. I'm now 20/10 when viewing with both eyes together! My right eye is 20/10 and the left is somewhere between 20/10 and 20/15 (20/10 line was very hard to read but not impossible, whereas it was easy with the right alone).

I was 20/15 with both eyes the day after the surgery. I'm ecstatic to say the least.

I also want to make a comment about dry eyes because the entirety of the internet complains about this as the most common symptom. I do have dry eyes since my surgery, which the ophthalmologist says should go away in a few months, but it's not a hassle at all. In other words, my eyes don't feel dry. It's just something that the ophtho says he notices. So for all of those statistics out there that make it seem like everyone gets dry eye and it's so horrible; it's not. You need to use drops for ~6 weeks as mandatory recovery (I was vexed by this idea originally), but it's honestly not that big of a deal.

I also have mild "halos" at night. This is only with regard to light-dark contrasts, and I notice it mostly with street lamps on dark streets. It looks like the lights are behind a little fog, as if it's been raining. This symptom was actually quite notable ONLY AT NIGHT for the first ~4 days, but the past three days it's been lesser. I have a friend who got the surgery done 10 years ago and said he got halos for ~3 months and was worried that they'd be permanent, but that they went away.

Regardless, I'm 20/10 now and couldn't be happier!

I keep forgetting that I don't have to take out my contacts at night anymore. And it's amazing waking up and having everything be so crisp.
Peter Beckingsale

110% get Peter Beckingsale. You can tell within the first second of meeting him that he's extremely competent and confident.