Had Breast Reduction on December 10, 2010 - Greenwich, CT

Not a good deal, I am currently dealing with 3...

Not a good deal, I am currently dealing with 3 bacterial infections in the right breast and the Plastic surgeon I used keeps saying its not infected. I had a surgical revision on 3/3/11 and he did not remove the sac of infection. I am going to a wound care center, and fear i will lose my right breast completely. I had been to the ER in January when i spiked a fever over 101.3, they said the right breast was infected then, but took no cultures, the PS said they didnt know what they were talking about. Even though i had green drainage that smelled like old fruit and garbage. I continued going to see the PS up until 2/14 and went to the wound care center on 2/28, the admitted me to the hospital from their office. My PS did a revision surgery where he was supposed to remove the abscess and drain the infection. Today 3/7/11, i had a fever of 101.2 and lots of pain, I will not tell anyone I know to go to him.

I found out I had 5 infections in my breast....

I found out I had 5 infections in my breast. Strep, Staph, prevotella, diphthroid, and peptostreptococcus. I was in the hospital for 5 days released March 19, 2011 and had to be placed on IV antibiotics via a PICC line for an additional 14 days. Now I am on another oral antibiotic, but the drainage cleared up, and I am feeling tons better. I have only had 1 fever since leaving the hospital, I feel pretty good. I have nurses coming in everday to change my bandages, but I truly regret having all these complications. Thanks to every one who commented on my post and sent me well wishes.

Westport Plastic Surgeon

Do your research about the whole procedure and learn about all complications so you can make an informed decision.

im glad u doing beter. did they say what caused it
@Jennabella: that does not sound "fine", it's the signs of an infection most likely, and you should definitely go have it checked by someone else if your surgeon isn't taking it seriously. Hope it turns out ok!
I think mine is infected. I have that green discharge that smells bad. My surgery was over a month ago. The incisions are still gaping open. The ps keeps telling me its fine.
go to a wound care specialist IMMEDIATELY. My prayers are with you
please tell me how you are doing!!!
Bronx how are you a year later. You went through a terrible ordeal. Doctors like that should not be in practice. Bless your heart I hope you are doing great!
I'm glad youre doing better, I know how you feel, I went through the same thing and still going through it so I know exactly how you feel!
God has a purpose for everthing. How has this whole ideal affected your relationship with your husband/Boyfriend? Is he understanding?
yes we finally broke up.
God is good all the time! I am giving thanks because I have breath! Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes
Do you mind telling who was the doctor so we can avoid him please.! I'm also considering a breast reduction surgery and I concerned about that possibility. I wish you well and a healthy fast recovery. my prayers are with you.
Dr. John F Reilly, Shelton CT
First let me say thank you for the thoughts and prayers as well as the kind words. i am absolutely still on antibiotics, and will be having the right breast removed the 1st week of august. they want the infection to be as minimal as possible before they do the surgery in an effort to prevent it from getting into my bloodstream. this whole thing has been a NIGHTMARE to say the least but I would rather have 1 breast and breath in my body, than to keep two and be 6 feet under. Thanks again everyone for all the support and encouragement.
I don't know what to say. I'm praying for you still. When is this all happening? Are you in pain? Still on antibiotics? This isn't fair. I'm truly sorry. Know that people are thinking of you and hoping for the best FOR you (yes even strangers) :]
just found out I have to have my right breast completely removed. I am NOT happy at all. I am scared and I am not sleeping well at all. This is a nightmare.

I am so sorry to hear this news:(   I am sending prayers your way....

I went through the same thing you've been going through only with my back. Two additonal surgeries to extract the infections in my spine after my fusion (debridements) Very scary. Though with time and PICC line antibiotics I did beat the infections. Hang in there. I wish you all the best. Now I'm taking on the breast reduction surgery and praying I don't go down the same road. So I'll pray for both of us. I hope your next update is a positive one :]
You are certainly in my prayers. I had my consultation today (abdominoplasty and breast lift)and told the surgeon what I wanted my skin antiseptic routine to be. I am a registered nurse and currently work for the manufacturers of a chlorhexidine-based skin antiseptic. It's what is used pre-operatively to clean the skin prior to incision. There are also guidelines that recommend bathing/showering at home the night before and the morning of a procedure with a chlorhexidine cleanser. I explained that to my surgeon when I went in and he was open to using. He actually agreed that it is superior to what he is using currently. I told him that I would like him to use the skin prep on me and he agreed. Many of these plastic procedures are class 1 which means their not "dirty" and considered "clean" however, bacteria from the patient's own skin is often the cause of surgical site infections. Therefore the pre-op skin cleansing routine plays an integral role in the patients' outcome. I really wish you all the best and I thank you for sharing your story.
I have had big breasts since I was in the fourth grade I have heard every name out there such as Rack's,Chester,Hooter's and so many more that I will be here a long time... LOL!
Iam a size 40F right now and I have been seriously thinking about getting a reduction but now Iam a little afraid of doing it.I have terrible headaches neck and shoulder and back pain all the time. I have serious indentations on my shoulder's. I just HATE them I have never been able to wear cute shirts,when I was young I could never wear half shirts or tube tops or bikini tops. No sexy nighties for me either I droop so bad! Now I dont know what Iam going to do. I hope you are well! You have been thru so much.

Definitely let us know if you have any questions about the process.  What I can tell you is that I am so glad I went through with this process.  It makes you feel amazing.

Oh! I'm so sorry, will say a prayer for you. However is there any way this incident can be prevented or detected earlier.
at the first sign of infection go see the PS if he says it is normal, go to a wound care center
yeah I tested positive for MRSA, thank God my current doctors are listening, because I could have died. I am doing better and thank you for the concern. This has been a battle. I was rehospitalized last week, home again, and taking things day by day. I have nurses who are coming 2x a week, as well as appointments with infectious disease speacialists and the wound care center weekly. I wouls advise anyone who is considering the surgery to have the surgeon and the operating room/hospital looked into to make sure they havent done this to anyone else. Thankss again :) and please by all means keep me in prayer, it does wonders.
Your pictures are truly scary. I hope you are doing better!!

Any updates?
IV antibiotics through a PICC line?? That indicates serious infections and the need to treat them quickly. It sounds like you are pulling through and I hope you make a complete recovery from them.
Best wishes to you and I'm sorry you had a negative experience. I cannot believe your doctor showed no concern about the clear signs of infection. Feel better soon~