Radiesse Migrating and Causing Lumps and Broken Capillaries - Collateral Damage - Do Not Use This Awful Filler - Boulevard, CA

I went to a top Beverly Hills PS for tear...

I went to a top Beverly Hills PS for tear troughing. Although we agreed on Juvederm during our consult, his 'aesthetician' recommended Radiesse. I agreed as I assumed it was another brand of hyaluronic acid. The procedure and it's potential risks were never discussed.

It was done via micro cannulas deep under the tear trough area and he claimed to have done 100's over a period of about 5 years which I am sure is true. Immediately after, the under eye area looked swollen and bruised. I noticed under downlighting that the radiesse looked like a sausage under the skin and did not appear soft or blended. I had been told it takes about 3 weeks to soften after the procedure. Only one syringe was used and a bit left was put into a vertical groove on my forehead and some was still left over which I opted to leave.

After a week I began to realise that my eyes were not bruised but there was a blue cast from the corner of my eyes and that it had also caused loads of broken capillaries. It got worse, on day 12 it suddenly swelled under my right eye with scarlet/purple over it and looks like a sort of protruding eyebag. I was advised to try anti-inflammatories and warm compresses to no avail. The Radiesse on my forehead is hard and can been seen under certain lights and has migrated to under my right eyebrow and the material under my right eye appears to have migrated upwards under my eye. The Radiesse under my left eye does not look blended and there is a bump and broken veins at the injections site.

I discovered that many other users on real-self have had similar symptoms and inflammatory responses. It cannot be dissolved and obviously as it is under the delicate eye area options such as massage, saline or cortisone injections are out of the question. I am utterly depressed as my eyes look way worse than before with hollows that could be mostly covered by concealer. It now takes me about 10 minutes to disguise and can be seen anyway under artificial lights. Without makeup I look horrendous with dark marks under my eyes (hopefully the tyndall effect) and broken capillaries, and lumps. Today I felt overwhelmed and spent the day in bed as I am totally devastated.

At best, I believe that after approx. 12 weeks the carrier gel dissolves and some of the swelling subsides. Then I have to wait, a minimum of another 9 months if I am lucky and 19 months if I am not as apparently it cannot be dissolved and it has a life span of 12-18 months and possibly longer if injected into an immobile area.

Great!!! I honestly cannot believe that this is considered safe or a good option. I am stunned that the 'aesthetician' recommended this to me unless and highly likely, she is goaled on Radiesse sales. Use this awful hard dental filler (yes it is actually a long used dental filler) at your peril!!!
Don't expect Radiesse to admit any of this as that is admitting liability and that it is to do with the practitioner who incidentally claims this is a first. If there is just one incidence of this and there are many more, then it cannot be considered 'safe' especially in light of the fact that the manufacturers do not highlight these potential problems on their website and have no solution as per hyaluronic acid which can be dissolved. Basically if only a few people have a bad reaction to a filler, then it is 'safe'. Really?
I now also have to spend a fortune visiting a vein specialist to address that collateral damage and another cosmetic practitioner to try to find a way to disguise the lumps . The response from the practice nurse 'Oh it happended to me (ie broken veins) to just go visit a derm!'
Anecdotal evidence says that heat seems to reduce swelling, ie some dermatologist recommend Gentle Yag for the broken veins and that this seems to reduce the swelling. Ditto with suntanning, saunas etc which I would imagine speeds up the metabolizing process.
Frankly this hard enduring filler is hideous. There are obviously much better options which can at least be removed so why subject oneself to this awful lumpy hard calcium hydroxylapatite!!!!

Well no good news I'm afraid. It is now 7 weeks...

Well no good news I'm afraid. It is now 7 weeks later and I still have a visible lump under my right eye. It can actually be moved around (so much for Radiesse claiming it doesn't migrate), is slightly yellowy/white and has caused a sort of a itchy red scaliness and looks like broken veins. I am just hoping it will go down as the gel carrier dissolves. Under the other eye, where it has not migrated you can also see in certain lights the shape of the 'implant' of radiesse. After reading how many people have had similar problems I cannot believe it is so popular still. My dermatologist in the UK phoned the company that sells Radiesse and she was shocked to discover they couldn't care less. She says she will never use this product as she says Allergan (suppliers of Restylane and per lane) are so helpful even with issues caused by off-label use. As we all know so much of what these fillers are being used for is off-label and not approved.

Honestly, the look and feel (like a hard bone) of Radiesse is gross. It is causing a skin reaction and looks hideous. Here's hoping ....

I cannot currently rate this provider until he has seen it and he has been made aware of the lack of professionalism of his staff. Unfortunately, I live on another continent so it will have to wait a couple of months till I am back and able to give a final view.

I wanted to share this Q&A with you that I posted after reading your review. I hadn't heard that Radiesse was previously a dental filler so wanted to see what the board certified doctors who volunteer on RealSelf had to say:

Was Radiesse Originally Created to Be a Dental Filler?

Dear Megan Refer to wikipedia for the calcuim hydroxypatite regarding it's dental application. Also bear in mind that doctors using Radiesse under the eyes are doing so off-label and that even the manufacturers say not to do so!! Of course, many doctors use many fillers off label and of course, many doctors that do are goaled by the manufacturers on their sales/usage. Even if only 5-10% if people get a bad reaction that is still a huge amount of people and that is what clinical results don't highlight as they will often document for example that only 2 people in 70 had adverse results - which actually results to 20 in 700 etc. Too many inexplicable reactions despite using so called board certified PS or dermatologists this is no guarantee against the product

You are absolutely right that there are no guarantees and there are definitely risks with this or any other treatment or procedure a person decides to do. Off label use of drugs isn't unique to fillers or medi-beauty though, as you probably know. I found the information in this Q&A very interesting and thought you might as well:

What Fillers Are FDA Approved for Use in the Tear Trough / Under Eye Area?

Dear Megan I found an excellent medical paper online by a group of doctors (including highly regarded dermatologists) and adverse reactions are a well known aspect of all fillers. They fall in to different categories from edema (swelling), erythyma, bruising, migration and more serious reactions such as skin necrosis and granulomas. Also how some fillers you either correct, undercorrect then top up, or overcorrect depending on the material. Some fillers seem to cause more skin reactions and problems than others. The paper discusses all these reactions. Radiesse was previously marketed as Radiance and has also been referred to as Roolesse. What is clear is that Radiesse is NOT suitable for the undereye area even though all other fillers' use under the eye is off label as well, as it supposed be injected deep and close to the bone and is supposed to feel like bone (therefore good for 'cheekbones' though too close to the peri-orbital bone) and it comes encased in a hard gel which will obviously show through if it is not deep enough or overfilled. The closer it is to the skin instead of bone, and there is always the possibility can move away from it's initial injection area, the more likely it is to cause skin irritation and/or skin damage (not only do I have the broken veins and bluish cast under my eyes, but the lump is also reddened and itchy and irritated and in the view of my dermatologist this is caused by an inflammatory response to the gel). With my eyes you can actually see the banana shaped or half moon shaped filler as it was injected in that shape under the eye - I would imagine it would look like in it's gel casing - , because it is not below fat but near the skin. On realself, I note that it is common to have steroids (prednisone) prescribed for this. I have obviously had some sort of skin reaction to the gel carrier - sodium carboxymethylcellulose. Inside the carrier is the calcium hydroxypalitite which also has orthopedic usages. One has to think very hard about putting this under the eyes or even in one's face. The manufacturer claims that after 3 months the carrier dissolves and the hydroxypalitite starts to provide the scaffolding for one's collagen to form around.There seem to be some people who have also had this response around the marionette lines and even 2 cases of skin necrosis. Most people on realself say that there undereye lumps or eyebags caused by either overfill of Radiesse or it being too close to the skin and so visible to the naked eye, started to go away or reduce at 2-3 months, I guess when the carrier starts dissolving. I would imagine that if is was under the fat you would not see it nor cause all the skin damage when it is too close to the skin. By the way, both my dermatologist and the vascular surgeon I went to see about it, say that approximately 20% of their business is clearing up 'collateral' damage from fillers. I am hopeful that in a few months you won't see the lumps and once that has gone down I can then start to treat the broken veins around it. I also hope my post helps explain to people what has happened to them and to make informed decisions. My dermatologist repeatedly contacted the representatives of Radiesse in the UK to no avail. She was shocked and disappointed. It seems that it is exactly the same total lack of response in the US (where I had mine tear troughing done). They do not seem to be interested in acknowledging (to invite legal liability) or addressing the problems caused by Radiesse (if they at least showed an interest and noted and researched the reactions they could probably minimise them or give doctors a protocol to follow when something goes wrong. By total contrast the representatives of Restylane show a complete interest in issues or problems. So I know who I would choose as well as the fact that it is soft, thin and can be dissolved if something goes wrong. It is also not hard and used for dental and orthopaedic purposes.
Dear Megan the only reason there is a split is the ones who are saying it is fine are goaled financially by Radiesse to use it. They are often 'top doctor' for the product. It is not for the undereye and is ONLY suitable for deep deep positioning where there is a layer of fat over to discuss the way the implant looks. It is hard and encased in gel so how could it possibly be suitable for the undereye area? Plus when it is close to the skin it is visible and causes skin reactions (see how many people on realself have had this issue).
Noone has a plan if something goes wrong. This should be illegal. I have been going through a nightmare for 4 1/2 years. Now, I have dermal filler coming out of my nose. I plan on posting photographs at a later date. I and an oral surgeon I talked to yesterday know more about Radiesse than anyone whose injecting this product. Why didn't the FDA put consumer warning labels on this product as they would for any other drug administered to a patient. Why does noone care? Who can help me recoup my astronomical expenidtures from this nightmare?
There are research articles on the web where the substance was used to seat dental implants. Patients had severe maxillary pain afterwards. The chemical caused a chemical burn to the nerve which explains why the left side of my mouth draws up when I touch my nose and why I can't smell anymore. My daughter is having TMJ surgery. I wanted to make sure that the oral surgeon is not going to use calcium hydroxy apatite. He told me that in the past, yes, this type of product was used and in other dental procedures and the results were disastrous. I told him that I have Radiesse coming out of my sinuses. He was shocked.
I am so sorry to hear that - what a nightmare. It seems the company does not care and is totally disinterested in the issues with their product. Acknowledging it could lead to finding dissolvents or some sort of 'antidote' to peoples reactions. There are lots of other people on real self who have had problems with this product migrating including myself. Fortunately for me my little broken off piece (which I can move around in my undereye area) has not caused any further issues, but I sure do hope it will eventually dissolve. The very famous cosmetic doctor I go to annually (has practices in London and Paris and has A-list celeb clients) said literally it was terrible terrible stuff and he personally would never use it. My dermatologist is of the same view. Let's hope more doctors come to their senses regarding this product and that someone passes on the relevant info to the FDA as it seems to be very popular in the US. The same cannot be said, thankfully, of the UK. Remember the doctors who use it are incentivised to do so and not to report or care about bad outcomes. It is easy to ignore a bad reaction by a small percentage of the patients and declare it 'safe'. This is how it works with these so called studies.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. :( It seems there is a split amongst the doctors as to whether or not Radiesse is a good filler for under the eyes. Here are a couple Q&A's that might be of interest to you:

Can This Be Corrected? Unhappy With Tear Trough Treatment with Juvederm Ultra Plus Followed by Radiesse

Radiesse for Under Eye Bags?

Here is a forum you might want to check out:

Did you get Radiesse under eyes?

Please keep updating your review so we can hear how you are doing and offer you support while you go through this.