Otoplasty Work In Progress - Boulder, CO

The issues I addressed were ignored during surgery...

The issues I addressed were ignored during surgery and afterwards the results were unsatisfactory. He talked to the nurse right in front of me about how some patients are just never satisfied no matter what, excusing himself from a job done inadequately. There was supposed to be a revision but when I went to the appointment and had the operation, afterwards there was no change; he said that it wasn't necessary after all (even though we had discussed a revision beforehand) and that he just removed some minor scar build-up instead. Very disappointing behavior, will have to pay another doctor now to get a revision surgery done properly. My ears now look unnatural from the side and back view: look too tight, cartilage is bent way too far back, jumbled and uneven cartilage from backside view. First time PS experience, oh dear.

I've talked in person with a few other doctors and...

I've talked in person with a few other doctors and have gotten tons more clarity on what has happened to my ear. The biggest issue was that Dr. Swail didn't spend the time to discuss with me the 'ins and outs' of what to expect, leaving me surprised with the result and very confused about what happened. The discomfort on my right ear is possibly due to a stitch that wasn't removed and is now making its way to the surface of the skin, which I can feel and it itches all of the time. The reason why he didn't change anything however, as other doctors suggest, is because any changes made at this point are going to be very difficult to maneuver and the outcome might make things appear worse than they are now. I just wish I had a doctor that spent more time discussing things and made me understand exactly what was happening every step of the way. My new doctor suggests that injecting cortisone might help for my overcorrected right ear.

That goes without saying I am happier and more comfortable with my ears now than they were before surgery. I just wish I had a more attentive doctor that was willing to go the extra mile for what to me was a considerably expensive and big decision.

Update

I decided to follow up with Dr. Swail after talking to a few other surgeons. They said I could get the sutures removed where the ears were initially pinned to reduce the tightness but it was suggested that I meet with the surgeon that did the surgery because he would know more about the initial procedure. I was reluctant at first after the first surgery but I decided to give it a chance and had the revision, or rather a release of the sutures, on both ears in 2013 (a year later) and had satisfactory results! Especially on the left ear, there is no more itching or tightness and the appearance looks great. The right ear is still tight and itchy sometimes and difficult to sleep on. Dr. Swail was more attentive and the atmosphere of BVPS was helpful and friendly. I am considering going back to Dr. Swail to release the right ear even further because my last visit with him went well.
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

My first experience with Dr. Swail left me unsatisfied and unsure what to do next. In my second experience with Dr.Swail he was more attentive and I am more satisfied. The staff was very diligent and friendly during both visits and the facilities are very nice.

Is this real? I have seen this exact complaint on another review site only in less detail (does not specifically mention ears) and a day earlier than this. I cannot imagine someone searching down multiple sites and posting on all of them- I hope this is not just a competitor. Although the sites could just be linked? http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Jeffrey_Swail
goCSU6 not that I know of. And sorry for the late reply, (over a year later!). Check out my update though, I think I spoke too soon on my overall impressions of Dr. Swail and BVPS.
Just to clarify, RealSelf is not affiliated with Vitals, so we don't post their reviews on our site (or vice versa).

Hi rdiane -- I'm glad you were able to get some more advice on your situation. Are you definitely getting cortisone shots to correct things or was that just an option?

Hi Sharon, sorry for the late response (again, over a year later). I've posted an update on what I've done so far and hopefully everything will be concluded this year for my last update (fingers crossed).
Hey, better late than never. ;) Sometimes it takes that long to be really happy with your results. I'm glad everything worked out for you, and thank you for updating!