Botox the Best Treatment for Severe Neck Spasm

I have had terrible muscle spasms in my neck and...

I have had terrible muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders for 30 years. It is constant and painful. On a scale of 10 for relief, the best chiropractors might make a 2 and the treatment lasts maybe a few weeks. TENs gave me a relief of 4 and lasted a couple of weeks.

Flexeril is a 1 to 2, and more effective coupled with narcartics. But BOTOX is AWESOME! I had 7 shots in each side from the edge of my shoulders up to high on my neck. The relief was easily an 8, and lasted several months. It was the best I had felt since the problem started. It was an experimental program at the VA, and I haven't been able to get any more shots from them.

I guess they think it's preferable to have me taking narcotics and muscle relaxers. If I had any kind of income I would gladly pay for the treatment.

Veterans Administration Hospital

It was quick and nearly painless. They seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

Congrats on having a great outcome.  How long is the Botox intended to last (when do you need another set of injections)?

They said it would gradually wear off from 3 to 4 months, and it did. After about 5 months my symptoms returned completely and abruptly. I find it a little irritating to see how much interest and money is invested by people for cosmetic reasons, when I can't get it for a medical reason. I also have discoid lupus, so I'll never again have even normal looking skin. But, we all have our own bears to cross, and I can only wear my own moccasins. I'm actually happy for the people who's lives are better after receiving cosmetic botox. I believe it is safe, and is certainly better than resorting to irreversible surgery.