Botox Was a Nightmare for Me:(!!

I am getting married in mid April and had been...

I am getting married in mid April and had been working with a personal trainer for the past 3 months to get me into great shape for the wedding.  She got me into amazing shape with her workouts and nutrition program.

One day we were talking about myupcoming wedding and she mentioned that I would look great with a little Botox around my eyes for my crows feet.  Thinking it was not a big deal, I went to a doctor who I had known through a previous job.  He is a top opthamologist in NYC with great credentials - having performed thousands of Lasik procedures, member of AMA, Harvard and Columbia educated, etc.  I was a little nervous at first but felt confident that I was in good hands.  However, I had no idea of the possible potential ramifications.

You relax the muscle in one area and that affects another - my undereye now has awful bags and wrinkles.  My crows feet are gone but under my eyes look awful!  I would rather have the crows feet than these bags and wrinkles that I currently have.  It's been several weeks so I am seeing improvements now, thank God!  I would never do this again.  I embrace my crows feet and can't wait for them to come back actually.

I also hated the fact that initially my eyes looked frozen when I smiled - like the Joker in Batman.  When people smiile, there should be a smile in one's eyes and Botox prevents that.  You always see frozen foreheads when celebrities have Botox but you never see the bad ramifications and side effects.  Perhaps I could have had a better experience if I went to another doctor.  Who knows?  However, I was originally devastated.

I now see a light at the end of the tunnel since the Botox is wearing off, thank God!  This website is a Godsend.  I have turned to it everyday since I've been unhappy with my results.  Thanks Realself.com!

I was the victim of a bad Botox job (too much in the wrong places.) I had some in the crows feet area and some under the lash line of both eyes (which I know was a big mistake on the part of the doctor.) Anyway, from my research, I see that the Botox under the lashes can cause cheek ptosis, which I believe I have now. I also have new bags under my eyes that I never had before the Botox. Are these issues that will resolve themselves over time? It is almost 6 months since the Botox and I know it hasn't fully worn off yet since I still feel a bit of tugging near my eyes when I squint. I am so unhappy having gotten Botox. I only did it as it was recommended by someone else for my wedding, and it's been a nightmare ever since. I am now considering lower lid bleph surgery to remove the new major bags I have due to the Botox. I KNOW they weren't there before I had this Botox disaster happen to me. Is the cheek ptosis something that will resolve itself once the muscle comes back around my eyes (under eyes and on side of eyes.) Please let me know. I am a 36 year old healthy slim woman with no prior wrinkles or bags. Thanks!
New York Ophthalmologist

Great for Lasik I've heard, but wouldn't go to him for Botox. Also, he charged me $100 to ask him questions after my procedure.

How long did it take for it to resolve completely?
How long did it take for everything to resolve?
Amax, Confront your doctor about this and get your money back. BE A SQUEAKY WHEEL. I've had Lasik surgery. My Lasik surgeon was 100% focused on giving his patients good vision. It's really creepy that your Lasik surgeon entered into the arena of 'cosmetic appearance.' Is he a money-grubber or what? Is he such a bad eye surgeon that he had to supplement his income with cosmetics, with Botox injections (which is a quick money-maker for doctors of all kinds)? I wouldn't trust your surgeon farther than I could throw him. Tell him I said so--it doesn't matter who I am, he'll know that I know what I'm talking about. Report him to your state's medical board of ethics, just to make your point.
Dear Amaxi, What's a Lasik surgeon doing administering Botox anyway? Botox is to improve one's appearance. Lasik is to improve one's vision! YOur doctor is being a fish out of his water! What's more--charging a FLAT FEE--$1000--for Botox treatments? Any doctor who charges you a flat fee for Botox is short-changing you. Ethical doctors charge for Botox by the number of units used. And to charge a young woman $1000 for Botox! My 29-year-old daughter only needed $250 worth of Botox for HER wedding! Not only would I not trust your doctor to give me Botox--I wouldn't trust your doctor to perform Lasik surgery on me, either. He's got his fingers in too many pies! And his fee for a bad Botox job is outrageous, even for NYC. ASK HIM HOW MANY UNITS of Botox he used on you--and ask him WHICH muscles in your face he chose to inject the Botox into. How rotten of him, knowing you wanted to look good for your wedding! He should have referred you to a competent, experienced PLASTIC surgeon to give you the Botox injections. A Lasik doctor doesn't have the experience needed to inject Botox in a cosmetically-enhancing way. Find out how many units he used, and where, and report him to the NY Board of Medical Ethics. He deserves it.
I just had a procedure performed 7 days ago, for about $3600 I think, that removed most of the 'scowl' muscle between my eyebrows (I had a brow lift performed at the same time). My forehead already looks good. I wish I'd had the muscle removal done a long time ago--it would have saved me $2000 worth of Botox. PLUS there wouldn't have been all the 'in-between' time, when the Botox had worn off or was wearing off and my frown lines were back.
Hi Helen, Yes, it will get better with the passage of time. I know how bad it could be. I had terrible wrinkles and bags after my Botox for crows feet...a million times worse than I looked before! I was basically fine before with a few crows feet. Botox was the biggest mistake of my life...and I was getting married in the middle of it all. Thank God everything turned out okay for the wedding, but I was definitely self conscious as you now feel. It's the worst! I feel for you. Stay positive and know that it will get better. It's too bad that incompetent doctors are practicing! Ughhh!!! Feel better! Best, Amy
Hi Amy, I am a makeup artist for years working on many famous faces and I am pulling out all my tricks to make the two eyes match....It is quite the challenge! My makeup looks okay to me but I still will not toss the sunglasses as I know a big droopy eyelid can only be hidden to a certain point. How did you get through this in the middle of your wedding? You are amazing!! Yes, my doctor went way way overboard with Botox only so he could charge additional dollars! I really only needed it between my brows... Take care, Helen
Oh no - I had a droopy eye, crazy wrinkle, dark bags, vertical wrinkly on eye lids. It was soooo bad. I understand how you are feeling. I am finally feeling and looking better. I still do not smile the same in pictures, but I feel better. It just takes time. Someone had previously said that you get 1% better each day. Keep that in mind.
Jamit30, How are you doing? How long has it been since Botox for you? How is your healing process? Let me know. My protruding bags and wrinkles are getting better slowly but surely but not completely gone yet. I hope I go back to the way I looked before! I pray I do. I hope I didn't do any permanent damage. Supposedly it's not possible but I just don't know who to believe these days...definitely not doctors:) Best, Amy
You had a lot of negative things happen and you made it through... When did you get the Botox? How much did they use? He used 50 units on me which is insane for the few lines I had... How long did it take before you started to see a difference? I am so glad that you are feeling better! Take care, Helen
hey there amaxy..
i experienced the same problem as you.. only that i had botox injected into my masseter, and it had caused drooping of my right cheeck. it has been a nightmare trying to smile as it looks so assymetrical. everyone comments saying my smile looks different, and that my face looks swollen, which only makes me feel worst..
im just wondering, its been 6 months, and the effect has not worn off.. people say it only takes less than 6 months. how was it for you?? did it take more than 6 months? did everything go back to normal for your face?
thanksss
Yes, everything goes back to normal. It could sadly take even up to 9 months or more, so don't despair.
Hi! I recently had Botox on forehead, between the brows,crows feet,bunny line and above the right brow for symmetry. They used way too much and I now have a horrible droopy eyelid that is extremely upsetting and uncomfortable. I am presently on Brimonidine 0.2% for prevention of Glaucoma which I thought would take care of my eyelid. Not working.... I can not even enjoy the areas that look good as having this extremely horrible uncomfortable droopy eyelid is all that anyone can see! I have been avoiding the mirror and wearing sunglasses where ever I go day or night!I hope my eyelid returns to normal soon as I am getting answers from 2 weeks to 3 months...I want to wake up from this horrible dream! I work out everyday and try to stay in a positive zone but somehow that mirror always catches you....Thanks for listening....
Hi Jami, I just use ice in paper towels and hold them around my eyes for 15 minutes. You might look a bit red afterwards but it definitely helps! Stay positive and stay away from anymore Botox. It's awful! I think cosmetically it's only meant to be used on the forehead. Let's keep pushing through for each other and stay positive! Best, Amy
Dear Amaxy, I've never heard of a doctor injecting Botox UNDER the eyes before. I've had Botox injections 3X now, and my injections have always been ABOVE the eyes, and it always improves my appearance. Was your doctor a plastic surgeon or some other kind of doctor?
Hi TrueColors, The doctor I went to was an eye surgeon specializing in Lasix. He is extremely well educated and I thought one of the best in his field. I should have gone to a plastic surgeon. Oh well! No use crying over spilt milk. I'm just waiting it out and trying to expedite the healing process in various ways. I am determined to be completely healed by my wedding on April 18th! Best, Amy
Boy as time goes boy the more I see thngs that are wrong with my face. I really think when she injected it on the side of my nose it goofed everything up. On my right side it looks like I had a stroke. Everything is off - my eye is droopy, my smile is off. Then on my left when I smile it's not a normal smile. Not to mention those dang vertical lines going up my eye lids. If I could I would spend the weekend at home - but I have a wedding shower/party tonight. It's going to be hard not to smile. Aaaaaaah! Amy - that's wonderful that you will be all better for your wedding -I'm so happy to hear that! Are you using a mask to ice your eyes?
Hello Jamit 30, again I have compassion for what you are experiencing right now. I too felt like my whole face was "off" after the injections. Just rest assured that it WILL return to normal. I have seen such an improvement over the past week - and when I smile, the skin hardly feels thick and numb at all. I still do not have my original smile back and I do still worry about it ever returning. Try wetting and freezing some organic green tea bags and applying them to the area under your eyes.
Hi Penelope, What do you see after applying the green organic tea bags under your eyes? Does it help with the protruding bags and/or wrinkles? By the way, do you still feel tugging from the inside (muscle)? Best, Amy
Thank you ladies for listening. Whenever I went to laugh at the shower, I always looked down in hope no one would see my scary face! :o) I'm feeling better today. Looking forward to my 6 week mark. Coming up on my 4th on Tuesday. Have a nice Sunday, jami Thanks for the tips, as well.
Hello Amy - it seems to help with the bags that are always under my eyes - these bags were there before botox but the sagging PLUS the bags is after botox. Yippee. What do you mean about "tugging from the inside?" And how are you doing?
Hi Penelope, The protruding bags are still there but I'm still hoping and praying every day that I see major improvement in two weeks. It's amazing how well I've learned to cover my undereyes with make-up:) How are you doing??? What are your undereyes looking like these days? Best, Amy
Your right Amy - I cancelled my appt.....I need to wait it out and have to think I will be 10% better next week, right? :o) Will your botox be diminished by your wedding?
C. Clarke, Thank you so much for this explanation! It really helps understand the scientific end of things. Is there any herbal supplement, etc. that we can take to help the release of Acetylcholine like Amino Acids. I really want to help the body regain muscle control. Thoughts? Best, Amy
I have had botox injected on my forehead and in between my eyebrows before and loved it. This time she injected it on the sides of my nose....??? Not sure why. I think this is what goofed up my face. I still have somewhat dark bags under my eyes, one somewhat droopy eye, bigs wrinkles under my eyes (I see some improvement) but now the worst is I have some serious ripples (wrinkles) going vertical on the sides of my actual eye lids - like 4 to 5 wrinkles when I laugh. I am a teacher and have not shared my botox experience with anyone at school. I have 2 close friends I have told. I am going back on Friday to show her what happened. I'm tempted to have her fix my eyes - but scared I am going to goof something else up. What do you guys think? I just do not want to have to take pictures and not be able to smile, because I have scary wrinkles going up the sides of my eye lids. I have a wedding on the 4th, a trip to NYC on the 5th, Mexico and a wedding on the 16th. These are big events where pictures will be taken. Suggestions?