Optimistic - Boston, MA

I had Ultherapy two days ago. Firstly, this is not...

I had Ultherapy two days ago. Firstly, this is not a painless procedure but I wouldn't describe it as "excruciating" as others have. However, anyone who says they had this done without lidocaine and some kind of sedation/pain management must not have had it done at full strength. I want to get the most bang for the buck so I made sure I was getting it full strength on the first pass. I think the lidocaine shots were the worst part. I was pretty loopy from 3mg of Xanax and 10mg of Vicodin. That's a lot. It took the edge off and made it all seem to go by quickly even though I was in there for close to two hours. The "zaps" felt like needles followed by a heat sensation. As awful as that sounds, it was never intolerable. I never broke a sweat. I'm a little swollen, no redness, a little bruising from the shots and my face is sore, but I think that is from the shots. Oh and I had some restylane injected in my cheeks and a little in my chin. My skin also feels pretty good--smoother it seems. I can say I saw some improvement in my neck which is where he concentrated. He also seemed to switch "heads" on the device depending upon where on the face he was working. I'm looking forward to the final results in a couple of months! Bottom line, I was way more nervous than I needed to be. Trust your doctor and make sure he checks in with you during the procedure like mine did. He was so great and caring.

PS: I am a 45 year old male and lost 50 lbs...

PS: I am a 45 year old male and lost 50 lbs through diet and exercise. My face was kind of "deflated" looking so I started exploring options to regain some youthful fullness.

PPS: One other thing, I had my own prescriptions...

PPS: One other thing, I had my own prescriptions for
Vicodin and Xanax so the doctor did not need to prescribe them. The dosage I took was WAY too much but I've been taking these meds for years and have a higher tolerance. I do not reccomend anyone take this much nor do I think would a doctor prescribe it for this procedure. Because my tolerance is high I set the dosage. But always check with your doctor no matter what you take. Good luck and don't be nervous--just find a good doctor who you feel listens to you and communicates well.
Day three post Ultherapy and I'm strangely swollen, especially across the bridge of my nose and my eyes. I'm guessing this is from the lidocaine?

Glad you had such a good experience! Thanks for letting us know that you had the medications you used previously. I'll bet for others without the medications it is quite a different experience.

Please keep us posted as you continue to heal. Will be interested to hear what changes you see. :)

I'm a week out from Ultherapy now. The swelling...

I'm a week out from Ultherapy now. The swelling across the bridge of my nose is gone and my eyes are no longer puffy. I am having strange skin sensations along the cheek and forehead area, and the top of my head feels like sunburn. Hopefully this will pass in the comings. There's no real discomfort, just strange feeling.
Now that you are post 8 months what do you think of the results?
No, it doesn't really feel tight, just odd and a bit uncomfortable. For example, if I touch above my eyebrows, I feel it there and on the top of my head (!) My forehead and top of head in general feel as if I have a bad sunburn. It's sometimes a bit painful to wash my face near my upper forehead. I see the doctor next week so I'll ask about it, but I'm not too worried. I understand the intent of the procedure is to cause injury beneath the dermis, far down, to produce a healing response thus creating collegin.

Sounds like you are keeping a good perspective. Would love to hear how you are doing and what you find out next week at the doctors.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

His office is very professionally run. No young girls who are too busy chatting to assist you. Victor was great and Kate is a sweetheart.