Very Little Weight Loss After Gastric Bypass - Boston, MA

I am currently 11 months out of Gastic Bypass...

I am currently 11 months out of Gastic Bypass surgery. I lost 44 lbs in the first 4 months post surgery and have not lost one ounce since then! (although I have not gained either.) I was 234 pounds before surgery and now weigh in at 190, I am 5 feet 4 inches tall. I had hoped to loose close to 100 lbs. I eat very little and healthy, I journal everything that goes into my mouth, exercise 2x per week with a trainer, and try my best to get to the gym at least 5 times per week. I have done EVERYTHING my doctor has told me to do and meet monthly with the staff dietician. My thyroid has been tested and although on the lower end it is still in the "normal" range. I am a mystery to my doctor as well as a disappointment (I screw up his success #'s). I have never heard of anyone who has had this problem. Everyone I know who has had this surgery have seen their weight melt away with little effort! I try to focus on the positive, better blood pressure, normal cholesterol, less joint pressure allowing me to be more active. But it is very frustrating!!! I have barely even gone down a clothes size!

Hi Shar, Thank you for posting this. I'm experiencing this on the first level. I just posted about it here on real self then decided to search for others that have the same problem. I just had my surgery but I have stop losing weight and even fluctuate between 1 and 1.4 pounds daily. I lost 13 pounds the first week or so then nothing since then and it has been several days. Like you I'm doing it right but getting wrong results. If you have seen a change since you posted this please contact me or post your results and what you did to get it rolling again. I'm desperate to know. Body Rock! Lisa

Hi Shar, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

I'm so sorry you're having such difficulties losing the weight. A lot of people who have this surgery do experience a plateau, but that is usually rectified by altering calories in against exercise. If your doctor and dietician is also stumped, that's a different story.

Have you been checked out to make sure there are no issues with the surgery itself?

Shar31, I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am having my surgery in May and this is my biggest fear. I hope they can figure out what is happening and get your weightloss a kick start. Best of luck to you.