Finally Doing It! Eighteen-year-old from Boston

Hi everyone :) So I've just started looking at...

Hi everyone :) So I've just started looking at this website, and it seems like a really great community to be involved with when you're going through something like this. So I decided to sign up!

I'm having rhinoplasty on July 16, which is just two weeks away! When I was eleven, I was on a tire swing with some friends and the chain broke and snapped on my nose (ouch). My parents took me to the ER, but the doctor didn't set it or anything, so it healed with a large bump. You can actually see the difference in my childhood pictures. Anyway, I just graduated from high school and I've finally convinced my parents to let me go ahead with this.

Right now I'm mostly concerned with how my nose looks in profile. Like I mentioned, I have a large hump, and the tip is a bit bulbous as well. From the front it looks okay, maybe a little big, but not too bad. I will post some pictures so you guys can see.

Anyway, not much else to say at this point! I'm taking about ten days off work (I really can't get much more off than that) and I hope I can cover up the bruises with make-up by that point, since I don't bruise too easily.

The morph looks good! Make sure you discuss not only the view from the side but also from the front. You'd be surprised what can be adjusted from the front view. I am very happy with my side view but not so much with my front view, but we never discussed that part so it's partially my fault I guess. Good luck!

I'm so glad you signed up! 10 days off work seems totally reasonable. Please keep us posted. And yay for not bruising easily. I barely bruised at all either. Good luck!

Okay, three days before surgery. I have to start...

Okay, three days before surgery. I have to start the oral rinse thing today- haven't done that yet. I feel pretty prepared. I've been stockpiling magazines and books, have been drinking pineapple juice (for swelling) and taking the arnica tablets, and am starting to get really excited/nervous. Since this was the last week before the surgery, I tried hard to see all of my friends, and I managed to fit that in around work. I've also been working out every day (I usually work out almost every day, anyway) because I won't be able to exercise for several weeks afterward. I'm also going skydiving ( !!!! ) the day before, this Sunday. Really am getting everything in before the surgery!

The doctor's assistant called me yesterday to tell me the surgery had been moved up. Now I have to be there at 7:00 on Monday, and the surgery will probably happen around eight. Since I'm staying overnight, this just feels like more time I have to spend there, which I'm not too excited about, but I'll probably be pretty out of it/sleepy/coming off of anesthesia anyway, so it probably won't be that big of a deal.

Getting super nervous and excited! Just three days away!

GOOD LUCK!!! hope it goes smoothly!
I have another morph of the front view, but I didn't put it up because it looks practically the same, just a little narrower at the tip. Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted!
The morph looks so nice and soft and pretty! Good luck with everything - can't wait to see how you made out.

Okay, I meant to update this every day, but that...

Okay, I meant to update this every day, but that didn't happen, obviously. So to catch you up:

Day of surgery: My surgery was at 8 in the morning, so I had to get up pretty early to get to Boston on time. I saw my doctor briefly before, changed into a hospital gown, walked into the operating room, and only remember lying there for less than a minute before I was knocked out. I woke up in the recovery room. My mom came to see me right after and apparently I talked to her, but I don't remember that, haha. Anyway, I spent the rest of the day and that night there. I dozed in and out of consciousness, but the nurse kept putting ice cold packs on my eyes every fifteen minutes, which woke me up every time. So I didn't get much sleep, and I was desperate to get out of there when my dad picked me up the next morning.

Tuesday, the day after, I came home and laid in bed all day, dozing in and out, listening to Harry Potter on tape since I had to keep icing my eyes. For some reason, this was much better than it was at the hospital. It actually felt good as opposed to me dreading the nurse coming back. My eyes were super swollen, almost swollen shut. There was red bruising on my eyelids.

Wednesday, two days after the surgery, was much of the same. I had some applesauce and some pudding and drank some water, which was the first thing I'd eaten since Sunday night. Probably good, even though I wasn't hungry. I"m definitely losing some weight, which is a bonus! :) More Harry Potter. Not much pain, but couldn't really keep my eyes open long enough to watch TV or anything.

Thursday, three days after, finds me with my eyes still swollen but looking much better. Still a lot of bruising, but for now I just want the swelling to go down. I'm still icing my eyes sometimes, but I'm also watching a little TV and doing other things. Tomorrow I have to go back to the doctor to take the packing out of my nose. The nurse said he might take the cast off then, but probably not until Monday. That's fine by me- I wasn't counting on having it off until at least Monday, anyway. The worst discomfort at this point is the feeling of congestion, not being able to breathe at all through my nose. And my puffy eyes are annoying, but I'm really not in that much pain. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow, but I look really ugly, haha- I don't want to break any of your computer screens!

Glad to hear recovery is going okay for you! Listening to a book on tape is such a good idea! Wish I had thought of that for my recovery. Haha, hope the next couple of days fly by for ya.

Four days after the surgery I was feeling like my...

Four days after the surgery I was feeling like my old self and was starting to get a little bored cooped up. I went to my doctor and had the packaging taken out of my nose, which was actually pretty painful. Then I had another two days lazing around the house, watching movies and stuff, and then on day 7, a week after, I went back to the doctor and he took the cast off. My nose looks really good. He says it's pretty swollen, so he put some flesh-colored tape across the bridge and told me to wear that and to come back that Friday (it was Monday then). I was a little disappointed about the tape because I was itching to go out in public and hang out with my friends and stuff, but then I realized you could barely even see it and these last few days I've been living life pretty normally. Tomorrow will be Friday and I'm seeing my doctor early in the morning. I hope he doesn't ask me to keep the tape on, because I'm working practically all weekend (my first day back is tomorrow, I'm a waitress) and I'm definitely not wearing it to work. My nose is pretty tender to the touch, so I have to be careful washing my face. I'll add some pictures so you can see what it looks like now :)

It looks great Lex! Could you post a pic from the front too?