Day 4 of Recovery - Boston, MA

Had been thinking of getting a mini facelift for...

Had been thinking of getting a mini facelift for about 7 years. I'm turning 50 soon & decided now was the time.

Not sure how "mini" it really was. Surgeon said it was a vertical facelift but mini. Incisions in hairline at temple, inside front of ear & extending into hairline behind ears.

No major swelling or bruising except for under eyes. Under eye area is purple & very swollen but not tender. I did not have an upper or lower bleph.There is much more pain than I expected. I was told it would feel tight but not painful. Ears are very painful. Jaw is somewhat painful. I don't look different at all except maybe jaw a little firmer but I'm glad I don't look freaky.

It's still too early to see results. I had a tummy tuck & lipo several years ago but find the facelift more uncomfortable. Sutures out in front of ears in 3 days. The others feel wierd maybe wire sutures or staples. Will keep you posted.

Day 6 - under eyes are still really black. Ears...

Day 6 - under eyes are still really black. Ears are pretty painful. They feel like they were cut off and sewn back on. Also right jaw has become really sore. The compression garment actually makes things feel better. I had to get a refill of pain meds as it's still too hard to sleep at night without them. During day I really try to just take Tylenol. Asked husband if I looked different to him. He said cheeks looked higher. I also noticed this & when I smile I have less lines but this could be just from swelling. I think I will be happy once the pain and stiffness subsides as I wanted subtle improvements in jaw line, smile lines & dropping cheeks. Sutures in front of ears supposed to come out tomorrow.

Have had several procedures over many years. On the expensive side but considered one of best in field.

How are you doing now, youngmom? Hopefully your recovery is nearly over by now. Please keep us updated when you can! :)

It's been 6 weeks since my mini lift & I feel completely recovered except for some numbness in front of ears. I think the doctor did a great job. Very natural. Nobody has commented. It's so subtle I don't think anyone has notice. Skin is tighter but not too tight, cheekbones are a little higher, less sagging around mouth, and my slight jowling is gone. Neck & jawline is slightly tighter but it didn't include neck lift so not perfectly defined. I would say it maybe turned back clock by 5 yrs. I think if I had had a lower bleph like the doctor suggested I would look much younger but they are pretty crepey. Overall very satisfied.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're doing well. Subtle is good! :)

Hi Youngmom You must be happy you have gone thru this . I am a new member I just joined. Do you think you will go back for the lower eye area . Also Do you know why the Dr did not mention doing the neck also . Do you mind telling me who the Dr was? I heard Dr Cochran is very good and Dr Feldmen is the neck Dr . I was hopeing to just have a neck lift but I also have slight jowls so I think they will suggest a lower mini facelift also. I am scared of doing the full facelift but you sound happy thank God with your results . Thanks in advance for any info. D. ps I agree with Sharon Subtle is good!
Hi youngmom--not sure if you got my mess ? I am new to board
Hi babydo11, I probably will do lower eyes at some point as I they are pretty wrinkly. I am hesitant because of all the horror stories I read about it. My Dr was Gregory Gallico who I really trust & think takes a very conservative approach for a natural result. I'm sure he would have obliged if I requested necklift also but I was only interested in fixing the thing that bothered me the most not completely turning back the clock. I may regret that at some point but right now I'm pleased. I think if you combine a mini facelift with a necklift it would be considered a full facelift. I have heard Dr. Feldman is quite good but not familiar with Dr. Cochran. I think Dr Feldman is rather expensive as is Dr. Gallico. But you know when it comes to your face.....Good Luck!
Hi Youngmom, Thanks for getting back to me ! Dr Gallico is suppose to be good and I have never heard of any horror stories about doing the lower eyes I think if you decide you will be very pleased . Actually I am petrified of a facelift lol . My neck really bothers me and I am starting to have jowls ughhhh ! I think if they do the whole face then it is concidered a FULL facelift . I was thinking of just the neck and MAYBE a lower lift ? I heard Dr Feldman is VERY expensive but specializes in the neck . Dr Cochran did Joan Kennedys facelift yrs ago and has an excellent reputation but he is getting up there in yrs . He is around 75 now but everyone who has gone to him is happy . Well like I said I am new to this forum and it is nice to chat with you who has been thru it and also you are local to the Boston Drs . Nice chatting and if you decide on your eyes I think it will make you happy . For me it is the neck to go first lol .