Been thinking about getting surgery for a few...

Been thinking about getting surgery for a few years now. The puffiness used to come and go so I kept thinking, I'm OK. These days the puffiness under my eyes is there 90percent of the time and it's progressively getting worse, no matter how much I sleep. The saggy upper eyelids have been there awhile but I somehow got used to looking at myself that way and said, oh well, I'm old. But having the puffy under eyes with it is unexceptable, I look tired 24/7 and I sleep 8 hours plus naps! Maybe I get too much sleep, haha. When I was in my 20's I had fullness in my upper lids, not too bad, I will post pics so you can see, and I always said to myself, "You will need eyelid surgery some day". So now the time has come and I'm on a roller coaster ride. One minute I'm excited to get it done and the next minute I'm ready to call it all off and live with my tired eyes. Maybe get rid of all the mirrors in the house and get rid of my camera too? No chance, I'm a camera freak and make 3 hour long slide shows every year for family and friends. (have to document ones life in case we forget) I don't want to be the one saying "Don't take my picture, I hate my picture" So that's when I say, "F*@$ IT" I'm going to put my big boy pants on and just do it. But on the flip side of my roller coaster ride I think - I'm a graphic designer, my eyes are the most important thing to me, what the hell am I thinking by risking my eyesight, even if it is a rare event. I am also nearsighted and have worn contact lenses since my late teens. Now I'm into bi focal contacts but the point I want to make is I bothered with contacts and glasses this whole time because of my fear of Lasik surgery. In my head I say "You have perfect vision with your glasses and contacts, what if surgery to correct the vision somehow goes wrong and you have permanent bad vision that even glasses won't fix?" So now I'm saying to myself...Is my vanity worth more risk than having to never wear glasses again? So you see, my way of analyzing is just too intense, haha, it drives me nuts. I sometimes envy people who don't question things too much, they just do it. I Question EVERYTHING. Sometimes overly so, but I guess it's better than regretting later if I didn't inform myself. I have always been this way, very cautious, inherited that trait from my father, the puffiness too. My mother is 83 and has no saggy eyelids or puffiness. She always complains about dark circles but I would rather have that, at least some makeup might cover it. I didn't get her good genes. BTW, my father's sister, she's about 70 now, has HUGE bags, I'm terrified I will look like her some day. So what to do? At this point as I write I have my big boy pants on and I am anticipating getting this done and behind me. I have a surgery date of April 3rd picked out but haven't paid my deposit yet. I guess I need to do that by Monday to hold my spot in the OR. Anyway, I will post some pics and update this page as I ride on my roller coaster. Thank you everyone who has posted on this website, it has been a HUGE help and the success stories are what keeps me going!

I think your insurance will pay for your surgery, won't hurt to try. But PLEASE, PLEASE go to an ophthalmologist and let him refer you to a REALLY good surgeon to do the surgery, and then do your research and check him out really well. Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.
Honey , I say go for it ! remember the older you get the slower you heal from surgery. Also do it so you can enjoy beautiful eyes while you are still as young as you are. Things are sure not going to get any better, including the price of surgery. If your upper eye lids are bad enough, your insurance will pay for it.
My eyelids do not impede my vision but they feel heavy. I don't think insurance will pay. When you get a haircut that a lot is taken off your head feels light, do eyelids feel that way after surgery and healing? The surgeon I'm choosing has 13 years experience doing 2000 plus bleph surgeries, he's an oculoplastic surgeon - I chose this type of surgeon because I think they have more experience with any potential eyesight or dry eye problems associated with bleph surgery.

So today was a big step for me. I booked the surgery.

Since I'm the type of person that questions everything I had to see my surgeon again before I could make my final decisions. I had read on here that even though I had puffy under eyes rather than hollow, I could still try fillers for lowers, sort of blend my cheek with the fat pouch, lol. My surgeon explained how it would look, which wasn't bad but I asked him in his professional opinion what he thought would be better for me in the long run and he said the transconguntival fat removal so I agreed to go that route. The fillers are temporary and have down time as well. The only real benefit for me would be that I could have it done in his office instead of the hospital. On the uppers he has to remove skin and a small fat pad in the corner. I was concerned about the dry eye I read about but he assured me that out of his 2000 surgeries only 1 complained of extra dry eyes, I guess they had dry eyes before. He said he doesn't test for dry eyes but I'm thinking of going to my eye doctor and ask for one myself. I don't feel like I have them but who knows. I wear contacts and use eyedrops all the time when they seem a little dry so I don't want to make it worse. Anyway, my surgery is only a little bit over 3 weeks away. I was lucky to get a spot in the hospital so quickly. I want to recover as much as possible before summer so I'm glad it's working out. I'm sure I'll need reassurance from everyone as time nears. Trying to stay positive and not read anymore bad stories if I can help it. I need to focus on the success stories and keep looking at everyone's beautiful eyes!

I think you are going to have a beautiful outcome! Twenty six days ago I had transconjunctival lower eyelid surgery with fat repositioning and a chemical peel. I am still healing, but I already think my surgery was worth it. My severe bags are finally gone! can't wait to follow your journey.
My surgeon didn't mention anything about fat repositioning. If this is what he was planning he would tell me right? I'm ok with him not doing that to tell you the truth, I want him messing around in there as least as possible. He mentioned its hard to tell if someone will need fillers afterward but that 3 quarters of his patients are ok with just the fat removal and don't get fillers. I'm hoping to be one of them. I get real mild chemical peels every 6 weeks. I only get a little dry, not much peeling. My skin looks real dry for a week or so but I don't have to stay home or anything. Maybe some day I'll get one like yours.
Hi PreciousPug. If your surgeon didn't mention that he would be doing fat repositioning then I am sure you won't be having it done. I had a problem with not only bags, but also deep valleys under my bags. That is why I needed fat repositioning. Also, the chemical Peel that I had was very mild. I had a peel instead of having a skin pinch. I was lucky that the doctor thought my skin was in good shape and opted to do chemical peel instead of a skin pinch, which would have been much more invasive and would have required stitches below the lash line. My surgeon wanted to go the conservative route. I already suffer from dry eyes and he didn't want to exacerbate my problem. For the first couple if weeks after my surgery my eyes were blurry, but they are back to normal now.

Allergy, Cold? Sneezing my head off and very congested.

Really concerned about my wet cough from being sick and now allergies, plus I smoke so it makes it worse. I heard general anesthesia can cause more buildup. I guess I'm not too worried about that but more worried about it causing complications while I'm knocked out. Anyone go under and have surgery with a wet cough or condestion? The cough might ruin my stitches too. I hope I'm better by the 3rd. I really don't want to postpone. Sometimes the wet cough lingers for a long time. Any suggestions to get rid of it quicker? I have a humidifier, taking mucinex and claritan. Doing deep breathing exercises too. I am trying to cut back on cigarettes but my nerves are shot as it is with impending surgery so it's not going so well. I guess I have to try harder.

The coughing may cause a strain on the stiches and increased swelling. if you are not better the week before your surgery or even now, you may want to call your family MD and let him put you on something for the cough and allergies. The Mucinex is suppose to break up the fleem, but the Claritan is usually an antihistamine which stops the drainage, which means they are working against each other. May want to stop the Claritan . I don't think the deep breathing is going to do any good. I am a smoker also and a retired nurse. If you have that every morning smokers cough, you really need to stop at least a week before surgery ( I know harder said than done ) so that you won't be coughing. This is just my thoughts on the matter, But I am no doctor, only a nurse.
ya i cough a few times in the am or sometimes during the night, mostly lying down. during the day there's not much there. it only happens in the winter months after i've been sick. i was either sick a lot this winter or now i'm starting to think it was allergies the whole time because it was clear. i think i was only really sick 1 time. i'll stop claritin though if you think it will make the mucus be gone. i have to make pre surgery appointment with regular doctor too. it's a requirement for general anesthesia i guess. anyway my son belongs to a gym that has a steam room, thinking of trying that. i need to clear this up fast, don't want to miss my surgery date.
don't downplay your title. i think some nurses are smarter that some doctors! my gyn for years was a nurse practitioner, she was the best! smartest! on the ball! she moved and my new doctors since her do not compare.

Pre Surgery Check Up (a hidden cost)

I'm writing this to let people know that when you have general anesthesia you may need a check up with your primary care doctor. It may depend on the surgeon or hospital what they require. It also depends on your age. My surgeon requires a check up with an EKG if you are over 50. His office manager said if I had one in the past 5 years I would not need another but when I called the hospital to verify they said they required it to be within 6 months. I'm not sure yet what blood work they need but they will be sending me paperwork next week. The bad thing is you are only allowed one physical per year with health insurance and my regular yearly appointment isn't until May, 1 month after my surgery date. I could postpone surgery until after my yearly but I really want my healing to have a good start before summer. I am somewhat disappointed that now I have to pay out of pocket for all this when we pay about $1200 a month for health insurance that I only use once a year. I guess I could ask the insurance co. if they would pay for an earlier app. but I'm guessing the answer will be no for a cosmetic procedure. I really don't know yet what all these tests will cost but I will update. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad considering what I'm already paying for surgery.

I think you're right to want to get the healing going well before summertime. I went with December because of my insurance deductible and because of this article about Plastic Surgery by the Season: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-tornambe-md/plastic-surgery-scheduling_b_1207296.html I live in the south, where the UV index is already at 5-6 in mid-March, so I wear sunglasses every day. I feared coming out of surgery with UV index 10-11 sun shining down on my eyes that were already sensitive anyway.
i'm up north so we sometimes get snow in april! so i think i'll be good. i can't do any planting until after mother's day so i hope i can safely bend by then. gardening is my passion, i wait all winter to be able to get out there. anyway i just checked out the thermal dry eye heat mask for the eyes. i have a bean bag eye bag already. do you know is there a difference?
No, I sure don't know if there's a difference.

ADDED PRE SURGERY ASYMMETRY PHOTO

Hopefully this can be corrected during surgery, if not it's ok because it's not noticeable when I smile.

Thanks for posting your photo showing the asymmetry. It's something I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, which makes me realize that my own asymmetry post-surgery will probably not be noticed by anyone but me. Ever since I first noticed my own asymmetry after scrutinizing my face post-surgery, I began to notice how many people have asymmetrical eyes. (Google "celebrities with asymmetrical eyes" and you'll realize you're in beautiful company!)
haha, i'll check it out. ya, been scrutinizing too. i never noticed it before until 1 day after botox on sides of forehead i wanted to see if it made my eyes droopy and i saw 1 eye smaller than the other so i stopped getting botox and thought the problem was solved until i started taking selfies recently. it seems more noticeable in some photos more than others and on some days more than others but it's always there - i'm sure of it now. i just don't know how long it's been like that, i wish i knew.
Good Luck I wish you the best...

Pre Op Check up

OK, is it me? Do I question too much? Since my insurance doesn't pay for a cosmetic pre op checkup I wanted to get a price ahead of time just so I'd know what the fees were and I can't believe the runaround I got, how many people I had to talk to and how long it would take to get even an estimate. I should have just asked someone on realself, I would have gotten a quicker answer. I really had no idea if it would be $100 or $500. Time is ticking and I haven't had my check up yet because no one could tell me what blood work I needed until today. I finally found out it's called a CBC (complete blood count) and I still couldn't get a price because the lab bills separate and no one knew what it would be. I ended up googling it and the price for a CBC ranges from lab to lab from $15 to $150. Anyway, at least it's not $500. Unless there is a hidden cost I will be billed for, my quote was $120 Drs. exam, $28 EKG, and about $60 (I'm guessing) for blood work. Not bad at all but at least I know now what to expect. If anyone can tell me if this sounds about right, please let me know. Thanks.

PPug, Have you mentioned the asymmetry to your surgeon? It seems that you your left lid sits on the eyeball at a point just barely above your pupil. The right eye is noticeably higher. As to what is causing that....ptosis of the eyelid is usually the culprit. But it also seems that there is more laxity of eyelid skin on the left and less distance from the eyelashes to the brow on that left side; but I don't think lax skin causes the lid to rest lower on the eyeball. . All this is to say that your surgeon needs to know exactly what your expectations are for things you want/need corrected. I think that maybe patients don't always emphasize the things they absolutely want resolved. Ptosis is a very specific condition. But perhaps this is just a function of botox or something else. grace60
He noticed it himself and said it could be somewhat adjusted by taking different amounts of skin where necessary to make it look more symmetrical.
wow! amazing seeing all those celebrities with asymmetrical eyes. (who knew?)

Cut back on smoking

Just about 2 weeks from surgery so I figured I better at least cut down. I have an E cig so now I'm only smoking half of what I normally smoke. Hoping to be able switch to the e cig only 1 week prior but not going to beat myself up over it. Doing the best I can for now. Drinking lots of water, will try to eat better too.

Hi Preciouspug. You sound exactly like me before I had my lowers done 5 months ago. Biggest mistake of my life! I had 4 separate consultations with my ocular plastic surgeon about only doing a transconjuctival bleph with skin pinch. What he didn't tell me was that he was also going to do a lateral strip canthoplasty. I now have the "surgical look". One eye is smaller and very odd looking and has lid retraction. I also have dry eyes and blurred vision in one eye that 5 different doctors have 5 different answers for me on whats the cause. The first 3 months of recovery were the worst 3 months of my life. One of my eye muscles was damaged and I could only focus on long distances without pain and nausea. Please educate yourself and make sure you really want to risk it. Lower blepharoplasty is a high risk procedure with a low gain as quoted by a very well known ocular plastic surgeon. Your also more than welcome to PM me if you want more information. I wish someone would have taken the time inform me. I wish you the best!
do you have an pictures? who was the surgeon?
Best wishes for your surgery! I did mine end of February. Don´t worry about the surgery. Its a easy thing, its only cutting skin more or less. And don´t worry about pain. You will not feel any pain, nor at the surgery nor later. Five days you will look like Frankenstein. After two weeks you feel human again. BUT: forget everybody who tells you that you look normal after two or three weeks. You can hide the scar with makeup, but you look strange, like allergic. And the scar is visible. After 2 month you start looking normal. Thats what they don´t tell you in clear words. You need much patience to see the real effect.

Getting Excited

Surgery less than 2 weeks now. Pre op check up tomorrow with EKG, hopefully all checks out good. Haven't had any aspirin, vitamin e, fish oil etc. like doc says - my eyebrows don't need waxing but might get it done anyway before surgery because i'm sure you can't do that for awhile after. My surgeon says to stop vitamin c as well, I also read that on the National Ocular Plastic Surgeons website. Maybe it thins the blood. I'm always cold so I think I naturally have thin blood or is this an old wives tale?

Yay! I'm getting excited for you! I remember my two weeks pre op. Talk about anticipation! To get myself ready for surgery I plucked my eyebrows and got a mani/pedi! Also stocked up on frozen peas and fresh pineapple. Good luck!
Thank you. I got a mani, figured I could skip the pedi for now, still wearing boots! Snow here on Wednesday. I'll get the pineapple and peas the week before. I have about 6 different eye masks though so not sure what will be the best. I'm a little worried about my smoking, I can't quit and the e cig still has nicotine which is a vascularconstrictor. It stalls wound healing because of the blood flow but I'm wondering if I will be less swollen because there's less blood flow.
There will probably be slower healing if there's less blood flow. Could this be the incentive you need to go cold turkey and quit smoking/nicotine? Think of the reward of beautiful new eyes and much quicker healing!

Not feeling confident with surgical staff.

Since I'm having lowers I needed to get a pre op checkup for anesthesia and this is all coordinated between the surgeon's office and the surgeon's surgery coordinator located at the Medical Center. The surgeon's secretary/office manager has no idea what's needed for testing, why? Hasn't she been doing this awhile? So now I try to get in touch with the surgeon's surgical coordinator at the hospital and she's never in, she just had a baby, no one else can help! My surgery is next week! I finally got some paperwork for my primary care doctor to fill out and while I'm getting my checkup she tells me I'm getting local anesthesia (that's what the paperwork says) when my surgeon told me I was getting general anesthesia. Not Cool. Secondly, when I did get in touch last week to find out what blood work I needed the surgical center's office said just ask for a CBC. So I made a special trip last week just for blood work in case it took awhile (it needed to be in by a certain date) and today the paperwork I gave to my primary care provider said other blood work was needed, so I had to get more blood drawn. Luckily this lab turns results around quickly. I am very upset. I'm just a dog breeder and I have better records and information about each puppy than they do about me. I just called my surgeon for some answers but they haven't gotten back to me. Am I wrong to be upset? Is this kind of confusion normal? Am I too anal about things? The reason I specifically called 3 times last week to find out what I needed for blood work was so I could get all my paperwork accurate and complete so there's no questions. This makes me so mad because I am so organized and others are not. This isn't getting a tooth pulled, this is surgery!

I'm healthy

I forgot to say other than getting the new blood work back (checks thickness of blood for clotting) I'm cleared for surgery!

weird- I had general anesthesia in Jan for sinus surgery & pre-op did not include blood. Only a bitch of a NP who kept telling me she wasn't giving me an Rx for ativan when I asked for one pill. One pill does not a script make!
ok- you are NOT being anal. You are right to be confused, enraged & afraid. I would too. What Dr are you using ?
Best of luck to you! Sorry you had to spend the extra money for the tests. It will be worth it all. I had my upper lids, face and neck done Jan 7 and going April 1st for my boobs and small neck revision. The arnica and bromeline really helped my eyes. Once the scabs were gone I use kelocote scar gel. It can be ordered from amazon. I still use it on a few spots. I got thera tears and needed it for a few weeks. I was very sensitive to light for the first month. Bravo on cutting back on cigs ....please try to stop when you can. The wrinkles you get and aging will affect you down the road. It's a bad few days of detox but you can do it. After that you will feel great!

surgery is all set

My blood work is all in now so I'm good to go next Thursday. This will be the longest week ever!

My surgery is next Thursday too. I had my blood drawn for the CBC today. Received an email this morning telling me to arrive just before 7:00am for my surgery. My PS has his own surgery center at his office location. I am having general anesthesia too. I got my arnica in the mail today and I'll start taking that on Monday. I'm so ready and I can't wait to get thru this and start healing. Good luck!
P-Pug best wishes.. I'm so excited for you!! Sorry that you had to do so much calling and running around they need to get more organized thats for sure.. Well now try and not stress or worry things will work out wishing you strength and healing.. Please keep us posted and best of luck!!!
You just hang in there. Just sleep as late as you can every morning and keep yourself busy. Keep us updated. Get your side table all ready and get all your supplies on the end table, like Tylenol and so forth. We will be here if you need to talk this week.

General Anesthesia Update

So I just received a call from the anesthesiologist's nurse who asked a ton more questions about my health even though I just had an exam. I understand they are just being cautious but all these questions are making me nervous. It makes having general anesthesia sound really risky and dangerous. I need someone to talk me down from my anxieties. I was already worried and after that call I'm over the top. I thought after my physical everything was all set. I have to be in the hospital at 10:30 and my surgery is not til 12 so I think the anesthesiologist is doing MORE tests or something. Otherwise why the early check in? How risky is general anesthesia? Anyone know what could happen or am I better off not knowing?

An Observation

It was recommended by someone here to start taking the arnica a week ahead of schedule (my surgeon's paperwork says 3 days ahead) but I figured I'd start today. So my observation is that 1 bottle is not nearly enough, even with my surgeon's recommendation of 3 days before and 1 week after. Their paperwork states it is $5 - $7 but doesn't say to buy 2 or 3. The bottle doesn't even say how many is in it (unless I couldn't find the quantity but I really looked.) I proceeded to dump the bottle out so I could count them and maybe my bottle was defective but they would not come out so I had to rip apart the top and then when I went to dump them on my makeup table they bounced all over my bathroom, lol. hands and knees picking up arnica, hahaha. so i still didn't get an accurate count because I think I lost some but regardless there's not enough in 1 bottle to even cover the shorter time my surgeon recommended. His office should have told me. Luckily Amazon has pretty fast shipping.

I hate to tell you this, but homeopathic remedies shouldn't not be handled. When taking them, you are supposed to put 4-5 pellets in the cap and dump the capful of pellets under your tongue without letting the pellets touch your hands. This is because homeopathic remedies work at the body's energetic level, and the energy generated by our bodies can interfere with the remedy's energy. (Sounds, woo-woo, I know!) I think I went through two tubes of Arnica starting four days pre-surgery to one week post-surgery. I recommend taking 30c potency before and after surgery, as anything less won't be very effective in healing from the major trauma of surgery. I also HIGHLY recommend SinEcch (available on Amazon) starting one hour before surgery (open the caps and dissolve under the tongue -- requires no water, so won't interfere with anesthesia), and follow the directions on the box until they are gone. SinEcch is a very high potency Arnica intended for surgical patients with lots of good reviews. As you can see from the photos I posted, I had very little bruising.
Don't worry about the questions the anesthesiologist asked you. I went through the same thing. After filling out extensive paperwork documenting my medical history with my surgeon, the anesthesiologist called me the night before and asked me all the same questions all over again! It's par for the course. Everyone is just trying to cover their bases, making sure that there are no pre-existing conditions that would make general anesthesia risky for you.

whey protein?

i stopped taking all my vitamins per surgeon's instructions but forgot to ask him about my protein shakes. i checked the ingredients and it seems there's only protein, sodium, potassium and a bunch of amino acids. does anyone know if these amino acids are bad before surgery? i don't want to ask him because i've already bombarded him with a lot of questions.

Sorry anyone I have not responded to, I just found about 30 unread emails from realself in my junk mail! Don't know how this happened but i'll go thru them now. I was wondering where everyone was for awhile, hahaha.
oh sallify, thank you, i've been a reck all day. now i'm worried because i was drinking whey protein shakes with amino acids and i just read there was a study in boston on mice that amino acids before surgery were bad. i had a shake today but it will be my last - i think a week without will be sufficient. unless someone here knows better and then i'll tell the surgeon. so are my arnica pellets no good? i mostly picked them up with my fingernails, not my fingers, is there a difference? i'll check out the sinecch, do i take that with the regular arnica? is that like double dosing or whatever.
so i just ordered another bottle of arnica and the sinecch. if they are both arnica why are we taking both?

Self Torture is Over (for now, haha)

I'm done worrying and now looking forward to the big day. I started my arnica and bromelain, put books on my ipod, have netflix ready to go and I will get my supplies situated next to my bed and end table. Going to color my hair tonight or tomorrow. Hoping my surgeon spends plenty of time with me before I go under.

Hope you're hanging in there with only 1 day left. I'm feeling really calm and ready to go. Wishing you all the best! I'll say a prayer for you :-))
Thanks for keeping us posted. We wish you the best of luck and we know you are going to be beautiful after the surgery is over.
I'm a little pissy, haha. The surgical center just called to move my surgery to 11:30. Any later and they will be carrying me in. I get low blood sugar quickly when I don't eat, weak and dizzy. I don't have a lot of reserves, I'm only 100 lbs. There's nothing I can do though, grin and bare it. Anyway, I have a customer, last minute torturing me when I told her 2 weeks ago I was having surgery. Now all of a sudden she needs something and keeps making changes. Anyway I don't mean to complain, I just woke up and haven't had enough coffee yet, lol. I'm sure by my 2nd cup I'll be much better, haha. So glad you're calm. I'm definately ready, I hate anticipation, it's usually worse than the actual event. Like when you get on a crazy ride at Disney or a carnival, hahaha. Wishing you the best as well. You will probably be cozy in your bed by the time I even get in so I'll be thinking of you. I'll check online with my phone in case you update on the way home as some others have done. Can't wait, so excited!

Surgery Time Moved to 11:30

I just got a call from the surgical center and they moved my surgery an hour ahead. I thought I would be starving at 10:30, I'll be almost passed out by 11:30. I get very shaky suddenly when I need to eat. Maybe they'll give me an iv or something as soon as I get in? Looking forward to the recovery stage. I'm going to look so much better this summer!

Thinking of you. Good luck today.
GOOD LUCK TODAY!
i think its great that your surgeon wants all of those pre op testes. if he doesnt ask for them,then he is not a good surgeon. quitting smoking is rough ,i know. if you ever truly want to completely quit smoking,the e cig is not the way to go. try reading a book called the easy way to quit smoking by alan carr...it was the only thing that worked for me. it made me think of smoking differently

I made it

Biggest fear was going under, never had before. It was great. Took me 2 hours to wake up though. I was shocked when I saw what time it was. No pain, vision perfect. Little blood oozes from lowers that cause slight blurry. Worst thing was headache when first waking up. Now just drowsy, even with coffee. No nausea, was worried, they gave me patch. Was hard to first open eyes. Tons of pics on phone. Need to rest before I can send pics to computer or eye pad. Here's one from my bed. Soo happy it's over, let the healing begin.

Haha

Didn't mean eye pad, iPad, I feel drunk.

It was easy for me! Now just rest and heal. Keep posting pics! Hubby took away my ipad all day and wouldn't let me do anything! I'm good thought, really. He's asleep SO I grabbed the ipad to post and read my emails LOL
am doing it today..upper only..with local no sleep..a bit worried :/..hope you are fine
Yay! Now the healing begins! Keep us posted.

1st morning

Very swollen, 1 eye worse. Headache behind eyes when looking left to right. They gave me a prescription for oxy something but don't think I'll get it. I am dizzy enough from the anesthesia. Been sleeping almost non stop since I got home. Vision worse today from swelling, easier to look out of 1 eye at a time. I still feel loopy even after sleeping all these hours. I wonder when that wears off. I expected some after effects because I can't even take cold medicine, it makes me woozy. I was wondering why no one mentioned your eyes get stuck together, each time I wake up from sleep I have to pry my eyes opened. They gave me a teeny tiny tube of erthramycine. Enough for 1 application, geeze, couldn't they spare a little more. They gave me a presciption for more but do they really expect you to go out and get it. I have a husband but some ppl don't. I might use some triple antibiotic gel I have here. Mouth very dry, can't seem to drink enough water, must be anesthesia too. I need to go thru pics before I upload because there's so many but I can't see well enough to do that yet.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Pics before and yesterday right after surgery.

Lots of blood on my face. Drips from incision inside lower lids. Not doing it today. I'll update with today's pics later.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Here's a real scary one for ya. Blood oozing out of lowers right after surgery.

Definately looks worse than it feels. My worst complaint is slight headache around eyes and 1 eye hard to keep open because it's swollen more. I've been just trying to keep that eye shut, less disorienting that way.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

That was the wrong photo showing blood, hard to see what's what on iPad photo gallery

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Day 1 looks worse in mirror than pics. No flash when taking selfies.

Somewhat grainy. If I can get outside in natural light there will be better pics.

You look beautiful! Rest and ice pack then repeat! Hang in there. I can't really see any of my stitches because my doctor taped everything!!!
I'm actually still in bed, my big computer is in my office so I'm on the iPad for now. I don't feel well enough to putz around, I just get up for food and liquids. My head is dizzy. I might just stay hibernating in here till I can open both eyes equally.

Better pic from today.

I know I've looked at millions of these day after pics but because we self scrutinize I'm wondering if this looks normal.

Very purdy! Looks a little red but mine has red on lids too. I can't see what's under my tape. You're going to look great!

Changed my name just for fun.

I'm proud of myself, lol so I figured I'd brag with a play on words. After I recover I'll probably change it again.

Is this normal?

This is the eye that's worse. They said to only ice for 1st 24 hours so technically I should stop icing now. Any suggestions on if I should still ice, they said heat if wanted after 24 hours. Will heat make it more swollen?

Love your new username! I don't know why there are so many differences in doctors' recommendations, but it seems that most docs recommend icing for 48 hours. You may want to ask your doc why he recommends only 24. As I mentioned previously, I was told to wait till 10 days to start using warm compresses. Ice brings down swelling, heat increases blood flow to the area and is thought to speed healing. There seems to be on consensus on timing. If it were me, I'd listen to my body. So many of us iced 2-3 days and healed quickly, I can't see that there would be any harm in icing for 2 days, but I certainly don't want to advise you to ignore your doctor's advice.

Side views. "One of these things is not like the other, haha"

That should have read "no consensus," not "on consensus." Really hate that RealSelf doesn't allow one to edit one's posts!
It is so very confusing re: the wide variability in what docs say. I just got upper and lower eyelids done a couple of days ago, and my PS also recommended 24 hours, and thereafter only as needed for itching and tightness. Because my bruising and swelling was very, very minimal, I didn't need any more icing after the first 24 hours. I would like to find about what he thinks about the warm compresses that SadieBee mentions. Did your PS mention warm compresses?
You're so cute. You look purdy too. Weren't you so excited that the surgery part was over? Makes this recovery easier because I can handle swollen eyes a lot easier than pre surgery anxiety.

Hard to watch tv.

1 eye doesn't cooperate and open fully, gets gooey even without the eye gel. Right now I think the eye gel is in both eyes because they're both blurry, it migrates from the lids. There's some behind your eyes headache when moving eye balls too much, is this normal? Been icing off and on all day. Put arnica gel under eyes and not sure if it was that or ice but some of the swelling there has gone down, it was a lot worse this morning. Still hanging out in my bedroom, since I can't see that great I don't want to chance walking around. Hopefully better vision tomorrow if that one eye settles down.

I hope you are doing well today. It took awhile for me not to feel drunk. By awhile, it was almost two weeks! I hope you sober up faster than I did:) in the meantime, be careful walking around. Don't be surprised if you get very constipated. That anesthesia stuff is no joke. Rest and relax as best you can.
i look just the same today ..my first day..so..it must be normal then :))) be brave :)
Just had to check in and see how you are doing. You've lived to tell the tale! Re: icing-- I iced the day of and for 3 days after and was told there was no harm in doing it that long. Called Dr. 24 hrs after surgery to ask how to get all the dried blood off (I was so afraid to even touch it) and was told, "That's one of the reasons we recommend warm compresses." Uh, actually, there was nothing about warm compresses in the instructions & I hadn't been told anything about that. It's indeed strange how the docs tell us different things. The written instructions could have been better.

Rough morning

I sleep too heavily and thru the night must have sunk down from upright. Woke up lying on right side of face, the already swollen side. Looked like rocky, so scared. The ice and gravity took the major part down but it's been like yesterday all day again. The good eye is great, no problems, it's still swollen but it doesn't cause any issues. It's mainly in the corners of my eyes that bugs me, it prevents me from being able to open it all the way. Not so dizzy today. I think I have extra swelling too because I have a tall bed , like the princess and the pea, and I'm only 5 feet, climbing in and out was a bad idea, I have a foot stool today. My swollen eye has gel in it now so it's giving me a headache to type with one eye.

I was wondering how you were doing. It's been a bit since you posted. Take some photos for us. Hope you feel much better soon! You're going to look great :-))
I would try to hold off wearing contacts as long as you can. My doc said six weeks. This post by someone who, like me, had asymmetrical healing (that eventually resolved), warned that using makeup and wearing contacts too early can slow down healing: http://www.realself.com/review/ny-Eyelid-Surgery-Asymmetry-after-upper-bleharoplasty

Swollen eye

I'm starting to wonder if that eye is worse because the surgeon is trying to make my eyes the same size. If that's the case I wish he would have made my smaller eye bigger, not my bigger eye smaller.

Day 2 am

Took these this morning after I got the rocky swelling down. Seems slightly better tonight.

The good news is...

Other than when the gel gets in my eyes, my vision is perfect. I'm having a difficult time with my bi focal glasses, I never wear them so I'm not used to them and they're almost more disorienting than the gooey eye, besides the fact that they're off most of the time because of icing. I'm not too bored because I'm a homebody anyway but I would like to do stuff around the house and I can't. Going to try the recliner tonight. Would like to strap my head up somehow, I almost don't want to go to sleep because I don't ever want to see what I woke up to today again. I was reading that there's no way the surgeon can change the size or shape of your eye without canthoplasty, etc. so I feel better, I didn't mind my asymmetric eyes, I'd rather the way they were than the way they look now, I just have to let the swelling go down.

Hello. Thanks so much for posting these. Since your name change, I had a hard time finding you, lol. My surgery has been moved up to next Friday. I am excited/nervous. I think you look GREAT. It's weird that the uppers are so much easier to do surgically but your uppers look worse than lowers. I am only having lowers done and hope I do as well as you! Looking forward to seeing your eyes become beautiful. : )
i was going to comment when you stated before your surgery that you had asymmetric eyes and you wanted them to be made the same size...i am glad your surgeon did not try to do that ,it would have been a mistake.i think my doctor did that to me,although i have no idea what he did because he never admitted it,but it looks terrible anyways and he did do a canthoplasty even though he should not have....you will be fine,it takes a few months for final results....dont panic...k?you will be beautiful
By the way wearing glasses,just simple glass with a thick black frame helps alot to hide the ugly navy stiches specialy at night when you can't wear sun glasses :)

Anesthesia hangover

Worse today, almost like I just awoke from it, weird how it comes and goes. Been lightheaded all day so far, getting sick to my stomache. I get motion sickness very easy. The anesthesia has been the worst part for me. I guess it's keeping me grounded, forcing me to rest. I have a slight headache from it too. Still taking Tylenol but I can only take 2 every 6 hours. As far as my eyes go, if both eyes felt like my left eye I wouldn't even feel like I had surgery. It still looks funky but it feels so totally normal. My right eye on the other hand still swells really easily. It gets so swollen that my eyeball looks sunken in, still can't open that eye all the way. It feels sore. Very red in the whites. I switched to warm eye pad last night and saw a dramatic change. A lot of the red and swelling went way down. Slept in recliner last night. I have a pillow that has a ton of little square pieces of foam in it, I pushed the pieces to either side leaving a gap in the middle for my head. I never moved all night but still woke up with swelling. Not as bad as previous but I had to ice this morning before going back to heat. Tried to sit outside for fresh air but too windy so I'm back in the recliner. I'll take pics later, too dizzy and nauseous right now.

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. It's going to get better!

Pics

I wish my eye would open! So annoying, no pain, just a little tender to move eyeball.

I agree with Ncnetshopper - you're just about through the worst of it, so chin up! Day 3 I was still headachey, sore, with redness, bruising, swelling etc. Day 4 seemed to "break" it for me, and I just started feeling better, and didn't even need panadeine (paracetomol & codeine) except for the odd occasional headache of a night time. I think I'm glad I had local; I was absolutely out for the entire op, and was only woozy for a few hours after.
You're coming through the worst of it about now. Hang in there.
Yes! You are smack dab in the yuckiest part of your healing. Just try to rest. You are going to look beautiful. :)

My eye is starting to open a little.

My right eye is far from looking normal but surprising this morning it was opened more than usual, which I thought was weird considering I just woke up. I was expecting more swelling, not less. A lot of redness fading on lids and whites of eyes but there's more to go. Under eyes turning yellow. Some itchiness, hard not to want to rub your eyes. Still lightheaded with headaches. I've been drinking tons of water to try to flush out my system. Not sure if it's helping, but it can't hurt. I haven't told my mother yet, I'm wondering when I should spill the beans. So foolish, 51 years old and afraid of what my mother will say. I'm also worried about pms and swelling. I'm due anytime, anyone know the effect it will have on my eyes? I'll add pics later.

What an improvement in swelling. You look great for three days! I haven't told anyone in my family about my eyelid surgery, other than my husband and one of my two sons. No one in my family has mentioned anything. Don't know if they haven't noticed or are just being polite.
One of my eyes got a horrible blue redish bag under...as if i was punched hard:))..how to cure it fast?tomorow..is my first post op appointment..
i think you already look wonderful , as we say no pain no gain , good luck with the rest of your healing , mine in 2 days and i am trying to get busy so i dont think about it .

Pics day 4

I agree with the others, you look really great for Day 4! Day 4 was definitely a turning point for me. It was at this point that my doctor recommended I get out and go for a walk every day (helped that I was in L.A. in January1). He stressed the importance of getting the blood flowing to aid healing.
Your swelling is way, way down and your eyelids look great--much better than mine did at the same point in time.
Wow, you look AMAZING for both uppers and lowers and only 4 days! I hope my undereyes look that well Friday. Glad you finally told your mom. Everyone is giving me grief about how they didn't notice my bags. Yeah, right. Nothing wrong with doing something just for YOU. I am so excited for you and can't wait to see the final result!

Good to go

Saw dr. This morning. He said everything looked great. He gave me the go ahead to wear my contacts! I might wait a day or 2 til the one eye that was more swollen deflates a little more. I don't have to worry about sleeping sitting up and only need gel 1 time before bed. Doesn't need to see me for a month unless I want him to. My eyes are not dry, itchy, blurry, just a tad tender where the swelling still is. There's still redness in the eyeball and the lids but I'm sure it will die down. Very little bruising on the cheeks. I can't believe I had surgery last Thursday and my cleaning lady asked me yesterday if I had allergies, haha. People are not too observant.

Looks great! I'm glad it went well thanks for posting all the pics
You look terrific! I got my stitches out yesterday, and today the itchiness is mostly gone -- each day there's a difference. Yay -- you did it -- and so far, so good!!! CONGRATS! :-)

A couple of things I found helpful

I gave up on the bag of peas after the first night. They melted too quickly and frankly I was afraid to poke myself in the eye with the corner of the bag. The bag was slippery and didn't feel too comfortable. I remembered I had this soft cotton bag I use when I have cluster headaches. When the ice melts you have soft squishy ice water around your eye and no sharp corners to poke you. I highly advise getting one of these. It was very soothing. The other thing I have is this microwaveable or freezeable sand bag for your eyes. I only used it after I was done icing, day 3 I think. It says not to use on eyes when heated but I was real careful how hot it was. I wrapped it in clean cotton I cut from one of my husbands shirts because I wasn't sure how sanitary it was. It's been hanging around my house for years. I moistened the shirt piece in water and heated the eye pad for about a minute. Felt sooo good and it was only after that did I notice the swelling go down, I think the heat helped drain the fluids. I also massaged around the whole eye area pressing the sand around the outer edges of the eye, I started going across the eyebrow, towards the outside, around the eye in a circular pattern going between the eyes along the sides of my nose. I did this until the heat was gone and sometimes I would heat it up again. Because it's not recommended around the eyes when heated you need to use your own judgement as to how you want to use it. The sand alone with the massage felt so good and I think greatly helped the swelling because as soon as I stopped the swelling would come back. I will continue with it for my leftover swelling even though the doctor said I didn't need to do anything.

I hope you are feeling better. The anesthesia got me down too. Nausea and vomiting and then Constipation with a capital C! I wish I'd stayed on a liquid diet for about 4-5 days after surgery. I hope you have a better time than I did!

I relieved my husband of his dog duties today

I finally felt good enough to take care of all the dogs and puppies today and answer my 50 or 60 emails, yikes! I took pics of my pups for their new owners and a pic of myself back to work at my desk. My eyes still look quite small from the swelling but I never had big eyes anyway, all the more I need my eyes back, they look so tiny to me.

looks like 1 photo didn't load correctly so here it is

Wow, you look beautiful! I can't believe it's only been five days. And the pups are adorable!
i made them give me a motion sickness patch. i can't even ride in the back seat of a car without getting nauseas. so i didn't vomit but i was sooo tired for the first couple of days, now the feeling comes and goes. yes, i got constipation too.
awesome, congrats to you too! i don't know how long before my stitches dissolve, my surgeon is not a man of many words. it's like pulling teeth to get information out of him. i've been told by so many ppl that i ask too many questions that i'm refraining from getting my doctor aggravated.

Wearing contact lenses

I couldn't stand my glasses anymore so decided to put my lenses in. No problems and I can see better. One eye is still pink and not opened all the way yet, patience.

You look great! And OMG those puppies are too cute!
My surgery was perfect timing for the pups, they nurse until they are 4 - 5 weeks and now I feel good enough to wean them. I love the pups, I still get excited after every litter even after 10 years breeding.
Wow, day 6 and you look awesome! You recovered so quickly. I am reading all your tips and preparing for Friday, still a bit nervous. We have a small puppy we're fostering, along with 4 cats, so it's not going to be fun for my husband for a few days. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and pictures. You look amazing!

day 7

sorry about the bathrobe and messy hair, it's the beauty (or not) of working from home, lol trying to get work done so not even dressed yet! this pic is from my desktop computer camera, not the best so i'll take better pics later. no make up and no bruising. i think i have scar gel on one of my contacts, forgot about that, it's a little blurry. still lightheaded or should i say heavy, my head feels heavy - does that make sense? not sure but i don't feel right in the head.

Better pics

Ok, so eye is still smaller but seems to be getting better. It's still red in the corner too. What is the crinkling above the eye, still swelling? I hope so. It looks like I have loose skin!

Looking good today!
Can definitely tell the difference in the size of your eye -- definitely healing. Can you believe it's already been a week?! My, time flies when you're having fun! LOL! :-) You look great -- and your puppies are soooo cute! :-)
I can't believe it's been a week myself. I know how time flies so that helped me right before surgery, thinking "I'll be better in no time". Thanks for everything.

Healing moving right along but...

I know it's only been a week but now I'm starting to scrutinize the cosmetic results. I see sagging skin on my upper eyelids. Does this continue to shrink? Did he not remove enough? I'd rather him leave too much rather than take too much and have problems but ultimately aren't we all looking for perfection? Did anyone else still have saggy skin at this point?

Hey Eyedidit, I had saggy looking skin at first too. It shrank up. You are still swollen, don't start judging for at least 12 weeks. Maybe not even then!
Mine is still baggy at 20 weeks. Better than before though
stitches dissolve???,,i had them removed today..:/..its my one week exactly from having my upper lid..i still have a terrible purple bag under one eye...is this all normal?

This was day 9

I took pic this morning, day 9 post, but didn't have a chance to update today. Now it's technically day 10 because it's 2 am.

i like what i see , healing very well .
That makes me feel better, thanks!
All in all, eyelid surgery is a lot easier than when I get my cluster headaches. I'd take eyelid surgery again over those, at least there's a reward afterwards. It's amazing how quickly eyelids can heal and no pain.

Day 10

Stitches are looking weird. I didn't realize they can take up to 30 days to dissolve. Looks like I have gray hairs sticking out of my eyelids, lol.

Nice result! Who is you're doctor may I ask?
Ur eyes were very beautiful, then u start having some bags naturally, but now ur eyes r back to beautiful. Ur surgeon did a great job no scars at all on the lower lids n in the upper lids it seems like he hide the scars on ur laugh lines he really knows how to do his job! Thank u for sharing(^_^)!
So....thus far the prize for most open-eye result goes to your PS. Don't know if you like your result (I personally think you should be over the moon about it) but your PS took lids that were touching the lashes and created with an eye lift alone a beautiful open lid platform that is wide and symmetrical and really beautiful. Most eye lids past the age of 45 have lost fat volume and have sagging to some degree. What is really great about your result is that the PS lifted the lid evenly so that the difference is quite noticeable~ a significant improvement in terms of lid margin/platform. Maybe most people are telling the doc they want to look just like themselves and just "refreshed" (not different) and so the doc is delivering almost imperceptible results. No matter how you got to where you are.......you did good and it was money well spent. grace60

Tired Eyes

Not sure if this is from eyelid surgery or anesthesia but my eyelids feel so heavy and tired much of the day. Is this normal?

Hi Tired eyes ..I had mine done April 4th too. Mine feel worse than they look. They feel tight and puffy and it's hard to read or watch tv or type on eye pad. I will not allow myself to drive yet. Vision too blurry and it's way too sunny where I live so I don't want to squint. My doc said this is all normal and to give it time.
thank you grace, bellarina and mely, i am very happy with my results so far. i just wish i knew why it feels like there's weights on my eyelids. It's a chore to keep them open sometimes, they feel so heavy. is it because the muscle needs to heal more or is it the anesthesia in my brain?

before and 10 days post pics

i wanted to save before and after pics for about a month but figured i'd do some now and again later, maybe after 2 weeks with make up too.

ok, thanks, i didn't want to bother my surgeon, he gets flustered easy when i ask too many questions. i was having trouble with vision earlier on but vision seems ok now. i haven't driven yet but i will tomorrow.

Glassy eyes

I was told yesterday by my sister that I had glassy eyes like when someone is sick, high or drunk. My eyes still feel heavy. I still have extra skin on upper lid I'm not sure looks too good.

You look fabulous! Congratulations!!
You are still a bit swollen. Hang in there. My eyes were tired for a good 8-10 weeks. One lid was droopy too. It takes time. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. And Rest!
i'm resting so much that i'm starting to feel like a vegetable myself. now i have pms and i'm tired for real. maybe the hormone imbalance will rebalance my unbalanced brain. haha - thanks for letting me know it's all normal.

For scar pimples and dissolvable stitches

My surgeon told me on my first visit that I only needed the antibiotic gel once at night for a few more nights. I stopped using it a few days ago and noticed those tiny pimples I heard ppl talk about and was going to squeeze them - but decided I better not. Since I wear contacts the gel would seep into my eyes overnight and get on my contacts so I woke up blurry eyed. I wanted to put the antibiotic on the pimples and not get the stuff in my eyes so i cut up small strips of toilet paper to lay over the scar line after i put the gel on, voila, no blurry eyes in the morning. the toilet paper stayed in place all night because it clung to the gel and kept it from running in my eyes. the pimples are almost all gone and i think it's softening the dissolvable stitches too because more seemed to have fallen off. i didn't realize the stitches could last a month but they are about 75% gone now. i'm going to keep putting the gel on until all the pimples and stitches are 100% gone.

thank you. i can't wait til thurs. my 2 week period. i think i want to try to see how i look with makeup.

Eyes not so tired today.

I guess it's normal to have heavy lids after this type of surgery so now I feel better.

You really are looking great!
I am so happy for you. You are looking great :)
Your eyes are really incredible. Did you ever post somewhere the name of your PS ? What he did was to keep the lid margin (distance from lashes to crease) about the same from inner to outer corner instead of making it wider in the inner corner and tapering it to almost nothing at the outer 1/3 of the lid. Tapering makes the eye appear droopy and downturned and yours has absolutely none of that at all. So ...he did a masterful job and I'd love to know who he was...tks, grace

No make up yet

Even though I'm excited to try mascara I didn't have time this morning, I'll put some on later or tomorrow for new close up pics.

You look fantastic! You must be thrilled. :)

Now I need to work on my wrinkles

I didn't ask for laser or peel with my surgery because I figured 1 step at a time. When I go back for my next check up I might inquire what my surgeon suggests. I don't actually mind the wrinkles too much, I'm just glad the bags and extra skin is gone. Once I get back to my regular regime of creams and facials I might be satisfied. Besides, I think I look worse today because I always look more wrinkly once a month, if you know what I mean, I think the hormone drop makes my skin saggy. Looking forward to next week.

You really look good! Don't forget to wear your sunglasses when going out to protect your eyes. I noticed the UV index is 7 in Boston today, which is high. (It's 8 where I am & I'm way south of you.) See http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/uv-index for the daily forecast.
You look great! So refreshed and wide awake. Wow!
Thank you. Still some swelling under 1 eye bag but the other one looks great so I know what they'll both look like soon.

Happy Easter, I have a pig-stye.

Pig-stye...Don't know if I caused it with sunscreen or make up but its itchy. And today I noticed that my bigger eye that became more swollen and smaller than the other eye became bigger again. So my eyes are just as assymetrical as they were before surgery. I didn't really expect him to change the size of my eyes so I'm not surprised or disappointed.

Ok...you have got to relax.... You look fab. Don't sweat small stuff after 17 days!!! It's going to take at least 6 weeks. Stay with me.....we are both on the same time line!!!
Today, tons of sunscreen and sunglasses. I can't leave my house without sunglasses all year because of my light eyes, I would have to squint too much without them. When I'm out gardening I'm so paranoid that I have sunscreen, sunglasses and a visor. I think I gave myself a pig-stye with the sunscreen yesterday though.

Heavy / tired eyes and anesthesia hangover after surgery update

My eyes do not tire as easily now (they still do on occasion) and I seem to be getting over the almost drunk feeling I had off and on for 2 weeks from the general anesthesia. So my head and eyes are almost back to normal, yeh.

Thanks - I know. Good thing I made myself think "3 months to look good for summer" prior to getting the surgery. I drilled it in my head that I might take that long to look good and any sooner would be a bonus. I think because I healed a little quicker than expected I've started to become picky already, lol.
Laughing with you...me too!

close ups from sunday, 17 days post

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Pic that made me go for the eyelid surgery

This pic of me last summer was almost deleted from iphoto if not for my grand nephew being in it. I'm glad I kept it because I keep going back to it to remind myself how baggy my eyelids were and why I made the choice to get surgery.

Pics pre surgery

2 weeks before surgery and 17 days after

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Same 2 pics combined so you can see the difference better.

The lighting might be bad on the pre surgery pic because I don't recall looking that bad, lol.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I got the OK to get a chemical peel and lumi lift this Thurs.

I was on a regular schedule of mild chemical peels every 6 weeks and lumi lifts every 3 weeks but I haven't had either in over 2 months because I was preparing for surgery. I called my surgeon and he gave me the OK to move on with my regular routine. The nurse who does my peels doesn't go near the eyes at all so that won't help my under eye wrinkles but it helps with texture, tone and other fine lines on my face. The lumi lift tones muscles and drains lymphatic fluid so I'm hoping it gets rid of any residual swelling around the eyes.

Great pictures. Great results , you look wonderful. I am SO nervous. I am 44 and going in for my upper eyelids on Wednesday. I hope I am doing the right thing, no backing out now!!! I have to say my friend had hers done and there was no bleeding after at all, just bruising. I was shocked!! I hope I heal as well as her. Hope my results turn out as well as yours. And atta girl for quit smoking!!!!!!!!
The bleeding I had was only at the hospital. When I got home it was all good, no bleeding. Hardly any bruising and I had uppers and lowers done. The worst part is being nervous ahead of time, everything else is easy. It's rough looking at yourself for 3 days but it gets better and better after that. Just follow surgeon's instructions and you will heal really quick. No pain whatsoever. I had a slight headache from the anesthesia so I took a few tylenol but nothing else.
Thanks!! The results speak for themselves. Im just a tad nervous. It does look natural and your eyes look bright, young and well rested:) Thanks very much!!!!

Department store mirrors

I remember someone saying they wanted eyelid surgery because they hated the dreaded department store mirrors. I felt the same way and wanted to tell everyone that today was my first time out in a department store since my surgery and I am happy to report that I actually had a lightness to my step, I almost felt like skipping, hahaha. Happily excited and anticipating my next visit.

wow,you look absolutely fantastic,exactly like you but 20 years younger.your surgeon did a fantastic job
I agree with u Collen, she had awsome results. Even her scars r nicely done this surgeon really knows how to do stitches on eyelids not like my charlatan "surgeon" Dr. Eugene Cherney! That sew my eyelids like the wife of Frankenstein!

pre surgery with eyelash extensions

can't wait to try them with my new eyelids. waiting til one month post op so i don't freak out my surgeon. they're kind of long but you get used to them - you need fillers after a couple of weeks though. you also have to keep them groomed. i was kind of drunk in this holiday pic so they appear unruly. pricey but fun. i want to show off my new peepers and can't think of a better way.

You look amazing. Your results are fabulous!
thanks, you might think i'm a wack job but i was actually reading up on brow lifts in case i need one some day. do you know the difference between ones like you had versus going thru the eyelid? is that one just an eyebrow lift?
I was just reading about the lift going through the brow. I had no idea it existed! I am not sure what the overall difference. I can tell you my head was numb for several months. You can tell from my photos that you have over correction initially to get results. So you look like Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Avenue" for a few weeks; that was scary. I was not "ready for my close up, Mr. deMille". I do know that mine also resulted in some mid-face lifting. That has been a nice side effect. Now I do not have forehead wrinkles or crow's feet. I thought initially my PS was just getting another $4k out of me, but now I think that was the best part of his work. It was a b!^#h to recover from though. Numbness, itching and I am still tender on one incision site. I am not sure I would do it again. I wonder if the lift can be done with Botox?

It's been over a month since surgery.

It was 4 weeks ago Thursday. Today is Sunday. Wanted to post a few updated pics and notes. I don't think there's much change since my last pics though except maybe my eyebrows need waxing even more, not sure when I can get that done. My stitches are still pretty bright pink, I expected them to be more healed by now since my bruising and swelling healed relatively quick. They are still tender if you accidentally rub them and still have little pimples along the line. My eyelids are still numb, not sure when that changes. My wrinkles seem more prominent to me now or maybe I'm just focusing on them more since I don't have bags and heavy lids to distract me. I'm still very excited that those are gone though. My asymmetrical sized eyes are back to normal, my right eye is bigger, just like before surgery. Luckily for my surgeon I took plenty of before pics, otherwise I might try to blame him for that. I'm not upset about it because I know it's a common thing and if you stare at people's eyes on tv you will find a lot of them have 1 eye bigger. I have a visit with the doctor on Tuesday, curious to see what he has to say about the lids and scars but not expecting a lot from him because he's not much of a talker. I will give him a full review after my visit. All in all I will say it was worth it. I had to pay more than some because of hospital and anesthesia costs since my doctor doesn't do lowers in his office but some others have paid more than me so I think it's all relative to your location, how the surgery is handled, etc.

You look so great
The time goes by so quickly, doesn't it? It's been a month for me too. Like you, my eyelids still feel just a little numb and my stitches are a little sore -- I am surprised by that -- thought it would be totally gone by now. These very small things serve to remind us that we went through a very big thing -- i.e., SURGERY. All in all, you're healing so nicely, and you look very beautiful!! :-)
The photos are great. You should be happy. I bet your PS will say it takes 6 weeks for the first healing (swelling) and 6 months for full results (scars and bumps). That's what mine says. But it's natural to want a miracle and to want to be perfect immediately. My left eyelid is starting to get feeling back....I'm 4 weeks too. I can feel my left upper lashes when I put on mascara. I read that women are conscious of this whereas men aren't as they don't "generally" use eye make up

1 month post op check up

I saw my PS today. He said the little bumps on the suture line is not pimples like I thought but scar tissue that could take up to a year to smooth out, yikes. Oh well, they're small so you can't see them real good, they just feel weird when you put on eye cream etc. He said everything looks normal, even the pink suture line. I asked if my lowers would get sunken in more or stay as is because I was worried I might get hollow under there without a fat transfer but he said no, it would not get more hollow. Right now it looks perfect so I'm glad, just a lot of wrinkles but no fat bags and no hollowing. I will take close ups tomorrow so you can see that the upper outer section of my lid contours neatly and tightly to my bone while the area closer to my nose still has a little overhang of skin. I asked if that would contour eventually as well and he said you have to have somewhat of an overhang there otherwise your eyes won't close all the way. I asked about botox and fillers in my cheeks and he said the botox will bring the brow down somewhat and I won't have as open eye effect as I do now and to wait 2 more months for filler in the cheeks since it's close to the eye area. So since I didn't get botox or fillers I went to get some eyelash extensions, I'll put on some eye shadow tomorrow with the new lashes and take some pics. Right now my eyebrows are red because I finally got a waxing too. It's been about 5 or 6 weeks since I had my eyebrows done. Feeling almost back to normal now.

You look gorgeous.. but all I see is beautiful eyes and Bambi Lashes!!! I'm so happy for you..
Agreed. Eyedit is brilliant. I hope everyone reads her posts
hahaha, you are too funny. one more thing i forgot to add to my post was that the surgeon said there's a steroid to put on the lid bumps if they bother me too much. i figure i'll wait a few more months and see what happens. how many do you have? i think i have about 5 or 6 on one eye and 2 or 3 tiny ones on the other, look like white heads or something.

Close up pics 5 weeks post op

These are the eyelash extensions I got to enhance my new eyelids. It takes a few days to get used to looking at them but then it's nice to wake up in the morning looking good without doing anything.

Before and After

Not sure why my eyebrow looks higher in my before pic. Is it botox I had back then, camera angle, optical illusion? Anyway I didn't label the pics because they speak for themselves. I'm going to scrutinize all my pics though, maybe the PS was wrong about the botox and it might lift me up.

About the brow...seems that in most pics eyelids are nearly resting on lashline even in outer aspect of upper lid. But in pic you last showed it seems there is an elevation of lid so.....maybe in that pic you were raising your brows a good bit. Perhaps no real change in brow position between b4 and after. And your PS did create a very nice effect by giving the outer lid a bit more margin. grace btw~ did you say who he is?
i was thinking the same thing but when i look at the original pic before i cropped it there doesn't appear to be brow wrinkles as if i was raising it up. as far as the outer part of the upper lid touching lashes - it goes back to me saying some days my droopy lids looked better than others, the skin didn't always touch the lashes. i was questioning that in case it would effect my surgery because my lids could have been tighter or looser that day. in any case i guess it will be like that even after surgery (some days the lids will be looser or more puffy than others) i will be reviewing my PS hopefully tonight if i can get to it.
They look really good....

WORTH IT

How do I change the top review to worth it instead of unsure?

Your eyes are beautiful! Your lash extensions look so natural!
thank you, yours too, even your lower lashes look great, so soft and natural. my mascara is clumpy so my lowers don't come out that good. i have to use that mascara because all others seem to run on me from my eye creams.
You are looking great! Do not be afraid to put a little reassure on your scar line to flatten it out. I used kelocote and pressure on my upper eyes and my scar is now flat and healed perfect. Enjoy the new lashes. Go on you tube and watch makeup videos. Try different eye colors and face bronzer for a sun kissed glow!

I don't look like myself 10 or 20 years ago

I've been mulling over what I see in the mirror. Even though my eyelids look great and I cannot ask for anything more it is definitely not how I ever looked in my life so I almost feel like I'm looking at a different person sometimes. It's taking some time to get used to seeing the new me. When we see comments like "wow, you look like yourself but 10 years younger" it may not be true for all. I'll explain... when I was younger I had "full" eyelids, they did not droop but were just full. As I aged the skin just started sagging so I had to have fat and skin removed so now the sagginess is gone but so is the fullness of my youth. I'm not saying one way looked better than another but it is definitely a different me. If you look at my pic I posted when I was in my 30's you can see what I mean. Anyone else feel like they need to get used to looking at the different you?

My only comment is:" "wow" we should all be so lucky!" I think your results are beautiful! And it is still so early, I bet you will only get better- if that is possible.
I agree with Peaceful. You look fabulous. I also know where you are coming from about looking like a different person. I have felt the same way. One of my friends is a surgeon and has had a few things done herself, told me it is always a bit of a shock when you do something that changes your appearance. That said, you look beautiful and are still healing. Give yourself time to adjust.
thank you, you do too!

BEFORE AND AFTER

My scar bumps are mostly gone - just 1 tiny one left. Still a little pink towards the outside of the eyelid, skin color towards the nose. No more numbness or tenderness.

The messy office

All the mess in the background is my husband's side of the office, I tried to crop it out, haha.

Thanks everyone. Computer acting up so I'm restoring system software. I feel like a dope using pug puppy as my user name.
You look so great!!!
Really good results. Let's make a pact to post a stunner of a made up hair done photo at our three month mark. July 3 /4 th!!!

Sorry it's been awhile.

I haven't played with makeup as much as I thought or planned to do. It's too time consuming, haha. Anyway, I work from home so not much need. I had the eyelash extensions last week again but they all fell out, not worth the money really. So here I am with no makeup but looking much better than before surgery. I'll take closeups when I get a chance. My iphoto library was trashed, still rebuilding it.

Your results are beautiful. You must be sooo happy! Congratulations!
No droop. No puff. Big beautiful eyes. Congrats!

Better update pics

Not much change from last month, scar lighter and smoother. I think one eye has a tiny bit of fat under, maybe still healing, it was the one slow to heal. 1 eye bigger or smaller, haha, more noticeable to me now i know it's there. I'm asymetrical all over so I guess it's normal.

Morning Puffy Eyes

I woke up for the first time since my surgery was healed with puffy eyes, mostly top lids, a little on bottom. Wasn't nearly as bad as pre surgery puffiness but it was very noticeable to me. It went down very quickly but thought I'd mention it in case it happens to someone else. I panicked for a second thinking my surgery somehow got reversed over night, lol. Not to fear, my nice de fatted lids are back. Maybe too much salt, full moon, heat, not enough water, who knows but as long as it goes down again it's not that big a deal.

Your results look incredible!
thank you working on my eyelashes now, my surgeon gave me a sample of elistilash by obagi. cheaper, non script version of latisse type product. i'll update if i get some results. now that i think of it, maybe that stuff swelled my eyelids. it didn't burn or irritate though.
Me too and it's worse after a glass of wine ( only one). I would say that you are right: its mainly salt, dehydration and the way we lie asleep.

Enjoying my new eyes

I still don't wear much make up but if I want to it looks great. I hadn't worn eye shadow in years but now I can. Scars are almost invisible, I can't really feel them with my fingers, very fine hairline. Great to wake up and go thru the day without looking tired, even when I am! No fat, no puffiness, no bulges or bags and sags. Plenty of wrinkles but I can't look 20 so I'm happy with what I have for results. I will try to fight my wrinkles but I don't think I'll go as drastic as laser. It doesn't sound pleasant. Next time I wear make up I'll take updated photos.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Can't believe I needed this so long ago

Just looking at old pics and saw that I look better now than I did 5 years ago. The pics aren't the greatest, both taken with Apple's "Photo Booth" off my computer. I will eventually get around to good pics with my Canon but thought I'd share these. Anyone with droopy eyelids only has to look at everyone's before and after pics to see what an improvement almost overnight. For me it was only a couple of weeks recovery, so worth it.

Wow, what a difference! I thought you looked good before. Now you look fabulous! Thank you for all of your great updates. I have enjoyed reading your posts.
Right on! Big difference. I'm going to check out Elasitlash!
(Elastilash) I definately see some lash thickness, not sure about length yet, i wish it was a dye too! I missed all last week using it but hopefully it's not a big deal.

Put on a little makeup. Hair's a mess though.

Time just slips by, I hardly remember the surgery unless I look back at pics. Although they look bad it was all a piece of cake. I would do it all again - I almost wish I got the laser like some did for my under eye wrinkles though. I'm still fighting those.

U look amazing. Thanks for sharing. I
How silly: I forgot to tell you that your surgery turned out really well and I think your eyes are beautiful! Hope you are still happy with the results.
Yes, still happy, I didn't get laser or skin removed on lowers, wanted really conservative surgery, so I still have wrinkles underneath but will be 52 in 2 months and can't expect to look 20. My uppers look fantastic, open eyes, not tired looking anymore. At least the puffy under eyes is gone too. I have had a busy summer so haven't worn much makeup but when things slow down I plan to try more and take more pics. Thanks for the compliments. It was a great experience. I would do it again.

It's been awhile but not taking my new eyelids for granted. Still love them!

Almost at the 6 month mark. Since my recovery was so fast I don't see much difference from month to month anymore. Still not wearing a lot of makeup, too much sweating with the summer weather. Been getting Pelleve treatments for crows feet and under eye wrinkles. I have a separate review for that. All in all I feel like I look much younger and it's easier to keep my eyes opened with the extra weight gone.

Excellent review, answered many questions for me. Love your eyelash extensions, never had them, hate anyone messing around near my eyes but maybe I could tolerate it long enough? They look really good...
Excellent results! You looked better at day 4 Post-op than I look today (day 12 post-op) You healed beautifully!
I was pleasantly surprised at the fast recovery. I planned on hiding in my house for a month or 2. Bought giant sunglasses to wear over my prescription glasses. Got Netflix to watch. Had my mind ready for staying in. All that and before you know it I was out and about. Some just take a little longer. I think the heat you are doing worked for me. I believe heat/circulation/massage is mandatory for healing. I'm a smoker on top of it all. Nothing to brag about but I expected the worse because of it. Some surgeons won't operate if you smoke because smokers are supposed to be bad healers. You will be better before you know it. It will be so worth it!

Pics I forgot about from 2 weeks ago

I am always looking at my top lids and forget to appreciate the fact that my under eye bags are gone too! This was also an attempt at some eye shadow. Still a little reserved with it because I don't want to look like a clown either.

You look great!! Enjoy your new eyes :-)
Thank you so much for all of your information and the before pics and your progression pics! Your I eyes really look beautiful! I just had the surgery on my uppers 7 days ago and they look good, still some swelling but at least I can see that the end result will be worth it!! Thank you!
Another week and you'll be wearing makeup if you want! Congratulations on your new eye lids. So worth it.

Turned 52 on Tues. and feeling pretty good

(Will do 6th month update tomorrow since my surgery was on the 3rd)
Been busy fall cleaning, painting etc. so hopefully I have time tomorrow but will update with pics. Sorry no new pics right now. Can't believe it's been 6 months already!

Congrats. 6 months tomorrow for us both...today really as it was a Friday!

6 months ago today!

I had my eyelid surgery on the 3rd of April. Not much change since my previous updates but just thought I'd update since most doctors say the real results take about 6 months. For me it was only about a month or 2. I can't see any difference from month 2 til now but I think it's just because I healed quick.

Thanks everyone below for your wonderful appreciation. I hope all that get eyelid surgery have fantastic results and all those who already have, I wish congratulations!
Love your review so much- thank you for continuing to add updates!  You look great- I love your results.
You look fabulous! Thank you for your great posts. You have helped me a lot.

Really really mad!

I prepaid all my bills including, hospital fees, anesthesiologist etc. but keep getting bills from one of the anesthesiologists from Tufts. I faxed the bill to my surgeon's office manager 3 times in the past 6 months with a promise she would take care of it. Yesterday I got a notice from a collection agency!!!! I have AAA credit and am not at all happy. I might have to change my review for my surgeon if he can't keep track of bills!

Video, haha, why not?

Short video
Thought I'd try the new video upload. If it's goofy let me know, lol. With practice maybe I can do better.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

This is a paid shill for the Yes on Proposition 46 campaign in California. This proposition is being proposed as an effort to protect the public by imposing mandatory drug testing on doctors. What supports are not telling you is that this is a cynical trick to get the public to support a measure written by the trial lawyers of California. What the proposition actually does is remove caps on pain and suffering in medical malpractice lawsuits. The provision in the California law has kept malpractice rates relatively low but it also means that lawyers can't make that much money form lawsuits. They figured they could get the public to vote for the proposition by stirring up the false controversy that doctors need to be drug tested. The reality is that very few doctors practice impaired and there are very good programs that exist it discipline doctors who do abuse drugs and alcohol. Don't believe the nonsense that this writer is stirring up. It is shameful.
I'm not even quite sure why they posted this long dragged out rant on my review since I had wonderful results! No complaints from me.

HALLOWEEN EYES

Since Halloween is fast approaching I thought I'd review some of my previous pics to see how my eyes looked. Makeup does a wonder to hide puffy/droopy eyes. As you can see, it's hard to tell I had droopy lids with all the eye shadow and fake lashes on. The only pic you can see the droopiness is the side view when I was a fairy. I can't wait til this Halloween with my new eyelids. I still don't know what I want to be yet. I did vampire twice already and witch twice already. Suggestions wanted for something current, fun, scary or sexy. I go out in a group of 7 and they always want to dress as a group so group suggestions would be great. I hope the individual pics aren't too small since I crammed so many in one photo. I thought it would be too much to add all 9 but I can if anyone wants to see them better.

Halloween Eyes Up Close

This is why I had eyelid surgery. I didn't even realize this photo was this bad at the time the pictures were taken. I thought I actually looked good until I just saw this side profile.

How about the Disney Princesses? (I have a lot of grandchildren - mostly girls!) I spend Halloween taking some of them trick-or-treating.
That was our first idea but we like to DIY our costumes and those are difficult. A few of the group don't have a lot to spend on store bought costumes. I wanted to be Pocahontas - not sure if she's one of the Princesses though. The other thing is one of my nieces is a total tomboy and won't dress feminine no matter what, ughh. We go thru this every year. It's hard enough to pick one costume, never mind a group. One idea is all different Halloween candy, easy to make, cheap. Not loving it but it's an idea. Another is all ghouls or mummies. I wish I could wear those funky colored contacts to show off my eyes but they don't come in prescription so I wouldn't be able to see.
I like the candy idea. I'd probably be candy corn! Yes, Pocahontas was one of the 8 original Princesses. I think they are past 11 names now - they add with each new Disney feature film.

If you want to scrutinize with a giant blow up of your eyes...

...you can find faults, there is probably no perfection in eyelid surgery. I noticed in my pics that my right lower eye still has a little fat. I will label the photos. There is some creasing in my upper lids, not such smooth skin as in my youth. The skin is somewhat wrinkly but from a distance I'm sure it looks OK. I just got the eyelash extensions put on again, she got some new, better glue. Wanted to try makeup and extensions at my 6th month mark. Some pics in natural light - others with flash.

OMG, Eyedidit ! Stop! Your eyes look great! And I love the extensions on you. How long do they last? You know, we can all find a million things wrong with ourselves if we look long enough and hard enough. Give yourself a break. Don't sweat the small stuff!
Thanks for the confidence. I guess I shouldn't be too picky but I'm wondering if anyone else has crinkles on their lids too. I think because I'm not out gardening and no pups yet to take care of, that I have too much time on my hands so I'm looking at my eyes more lately. Extensions last max 2 weeks, by then you look like a freak with a few long ones left and you need to get what they call a refill, much cheaper on the refill - still somewhat time consuming but it's great to wake up and not have to put on mascara. They feel a little weird when you wash your face, kind of like little sweaters on your eyelids, haha. Learning to wash my face differently to see if they'll last a little longer. I usually splash with water, now I'll just use face cloth to get soap off. I must say, "They are very glamorous" hahaha. At first they seem way too long but you get used to it. Almost like botox, once you get it you can't live without it, yikes.
Hi, not sure what you mean by crinkles on lids. Do you mean on incision or tha skin?

Crinkle/Wrinkle/Fold

i just added a close up of the area i'm talking about. Am i being too picky? I only notice it more when i am applying eye shadow because i'm focusing on the lids.
I have crinkles on my lids, but then, I'm old enough to be your mother. I find they make it more difficult to apply eyeliner and get a smooth line. The extensions sound too "high maintenance" and fussy for me.
I don't have crinkles like that. My skin is just like crepe fabric. I guess it's just because I'm old! Did you have it before the surgery?

Tufts Medical Center Billing

For anyone getting eyelid surgery at Tufts Eye Center you hopefully will not have issues with billing after my phone call from the head of the billing department this morning. Very very apologetic, said he was meeting with the whole billing department to forever change their system. For once someone admitted that someone did not do their job. He wanted me to know that it was in no way any fault of Dr. Kapadia or his staff, solely the hospitals fault. Yeh, no more bills sent to my house.

You look wonderful. I have a follow up for my nose next month and I also scheduled an upper eyelids consult.
Go to sephora for eye shadow ..eye primer etc. get a consultation. It's worth it.
They will show you how to apply the make up, as well. And if you buy something and it turns out you aren't happy with it, they will take it back.

Before & 5 years later at the same desk taking pictures!

I took the before picture 5 years ago, 2009, to send the nurse who filled my lips, she wanted to see how they looked. Just noticed how grumpy I looked. Even though I'm not smiling in my after picture I don't look grumpy. Wanted to show the same expression for the comparison. Pics like these make me feel so grateful that I was able to get eyelid surgery.

Go for it! Best procedure I ever did, everything else doesn't last. Get the right doctor and you'll be a new person.
Hey, wish my mom was a little more like you. Love her to pieces but she's old school. Won't deal with technology so I can't email, text or send her pics. She makes me visit! hahahaha
The closest stand-alone store is 40 miles
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

I have been thinking about eyelid surgery for several years. For one reason or another I kept putting it off. I began researching again in February and found the Realself website. I was happy about that because my main objective when I was researching was for reviews. Let's face it, these are our eyes we are talking about, not something to take lightly. I get reviews on Amazon for things as simple as a garden hose so getting reviews for a surgeon would be a must. After careful reading I decided that an Oculoplastic surgeon would be my preference and found Dr. Kapadia of Wellesly MA on Realself. He had great reviews so I decided to meet with him. My first meeting was not very long, maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I had read lots of surgeons on Realself say that the first meeting with a surgeon should be somewhat extensive so I left Dr. Kapadia's office still feeling a bit unsure and apprehensive. Since I really wanted the surgery and I really wanted an oculoplastic surgeon I emailed him a few more questions. He said I should come in again to have another face to face because he didn't like discussing those things via email or phone. So I went back about a week later and he answered my questions and I paid a deposit to hold a surgery date. I had to have my surgery at Tufts Medical Center because I needed lowers done as well and Dr. Kapadia does not do lowers in his office. I was offered 3 different dates but chose the one soonest so I could get it over with before summer. I did not see Dr. Kapadia again until the day of surgery. Of course I was nervous the whole time up to the day of surgery. My husband came with me and waited until they administered the general anesthesia. In between the nurses and 2 different anesthesiologists Dr. Kapadia came by to see me before I was knocked out. We discussed a couple of things and out I was. WOW, I never had anesthesia before and that was really weird, you get knocked out so fast. Next thing I know I was trying to pry my eyes opened after surgery. I don't know if it was his gentle touch, my body or the arnica and bromelain I took but before the week was out my bruising was gone and my swelling was really minimal. I saw Dr. Kapadia 5 days after surgery and he said I could wear my contact lenses! I was not prepared to hear that and I was really excited. I had even bought special sun glasses to wear over my glasses thinking I would need them for at least 2 weeks or maybe a month. I went home and put my lenses in! I had no blurry vision and no dry eyes even from the beginning. It was only a little blurry when I would get the antibiotic gel in my eyes. I believe Dr. Kapadia took special care with my eye health above all else. That is exactly what I had hoped for. I couldn't live with myself if I had eyesight problems for getting something cosmetic. Visually I look much more rested, the fat pads in the top corners are gone, the fat underneath is gone and the droopy skin on the uppers is gone. I can wear eye shadow if I want to now. I saw Dr. Kapadia again after 1 month and he said everything looked great. I asked him about getting botox and he said I should wait. He didn't think I needed filler just yet either so he wasn't trying to make me buy things I didn't need even though I thought I did. He is not a man of many words so if you think you are going to have long discussions with him about surgery you won't but in the end you will be glad you chose him because he has a lot of experience. I believe he gets the job done in the most conservative way, you won't look pulled, scarred and your eye health will remain intact. If you have a ton of questions it's best just to ask him the ones that are most important to you and research the others online. If you are living in MA and want eyelid surgery I highly recommend you seek out Dr. Kapadia. If you never had anesthesia before be prepared to feel weird for awhile after. It took me 2 weeks to feel back to normal. That would be my biggest complaint, the surgery and recovery other than that was a breeze.