My Ups and Downs in the First Month Following Lasik - Boise, ID

I had Lasik 5 weeks ago and wanted to share my...

I had Lasik 5 weeks ago and wanted to share my experiences with anyone going through it like I am.
I'm not going to get into detail the actual procedure as plenty has been written on that but the after effects and remedy's I went through so far.
I had my custom Wavefront Lasik performed by the top surgeon here in Boise and he also does cataract and other eye procedures so I chose him based on his extensive experience. Cost was not a factor when it comes to my eyes and lets face it, Lasik can be a shot in the dark so I weighed all the good with the bad through extensive research and went for it. I was -6.00 in one eye and -5.25 in the other with astigmatism. One eye had it worse than the other and the Dr pointed out that it may get better in that eye (night vision) or stay the same.
Day of surgery, a few hours later: Crazy watering and bad light sensitivity. I could see but had to lay down in complete darkness to cope. They say to sleep it off but I had a hard time doing that with the watering and light so we hung a blanket up and darkened the room more. Relief! I did not sleep much until that night and it was off and on.
Day after: I could read 20/15 in both eye's! The drop regimen stated up this day and I was feeling much better. I took this day off from work and have 2 weekend days to recover before going back to work.
I started using the lubricant eye drops like I was told and I used them as often as I felt I needed to. I only use the sterile, single use vials and the caps on these can be put back on to use up the rest left in them within that day. The Dr suggested I use Refresh Advanced but I'll get to what happened in a few with those.
2 days after: Still using the drops but I noticed my left eye has become a little fuzzy/blurry. The artificial tears seem to be aggravating my eyes but I'm not sure of this as I think it is to soon and it could be from the trauma of the surgery or the Pred Forte drops. Still, I see very well with both eyes but have the tendancy to close one or the other to compare and see what is going on. Major halos and some star-bursting at night. Expected this so I have hubby doing the driving!
1 week out: Realized the artificial tear drops may be a problem so...Changed to Systane Ultra and kicked myself for not doing that sooner! I was under the impression I would need to use what they suggested but found out later you can use any of the non-preservative drops as long as they are the single use type in the vials! My eyes must be a little sensitive as it took some trial and error but I found Systane for day use and GenTeal Lubricant eye gel at night worked for me.
One eye still slightly fuzzy and with both eyes open, I can read far away just fine. I'm 47 so my reading vision took the big hit. I expected it but the first week it was pretty bad but gradually it claered a little so I wear reading glasses (+1.00 power) now to read stuff.
1 month: The fluctuations daily continue but overall, still 20/20 in both eyes but my left has a little astigmatism according to the Dr. (.75 or something like that) I was struggling with dryness as it seemed to kick in more so at the month mark but I do computer work all day so I attribute a lot to that and we have a fan on at night. I finally bought a sleep mask to wear at night as I think one eye is open a little when I sleep and the GenTeal fixed this. A good nights sleep took me a month to finally get it right!
So far I'm healing fine, no issues other than the astigmatism but I'll update as time goes on and see where I'm at in another month! Trial and error with the gels and drops is sometimes needed and perfect results may not be achieved fast but overall, I'm pleased so far! Yes, I have had depressed moments and the dryness comes and goes making me think I may have it forever but I'm going to be optimistic since is is only slight dryness and I think I'll be ok!

5 Weeks Post Lasik

5 weeks: Still fuzzy in my left eye. Had my check up at the Dr and still some astigmatism in that eye. Probably stuck with it but I can see up close a little better in that eye so it is a trade off I guess. Had them put in plugs in my lowers to help with the dryness and still had some issues so I thought to myself...Maybe I have slight inflammation which is causing me issues? Not sure but I still have the Pred Forte drops so I put some in and ....my vision was a little better and the dryness seemed to subside so I answered my own question. I have inflammation still even though they did not say I did at the Dr. but since it is not good to take these drops often, I'm not using them but at least now I know. I'll give it some time to heal more but looks like the astigmatism may remain in that eye. Bummer! The last week, I have been having issues with bright light and light sensitivity which is also an indicator of inflammation and dryness issues so I hope that subsides. Ordered my some of those Wiley X sunglasses (Cabela's has them if you want to see them but you can save $50 on line.) They seal out the air and sun and look great so i can't wait to get them. I think spending time outside is triggering the inflammation so I'll see if these glasses help. All in all, the jury is still out on whether I did the right thing or not but time will tell!

6 weeks Post Lasik

Ok, So the dryness is easing up a bit! Not quite back to pre-lasik standards but better and it could be attributed to the temp plugs I had put in but I don't think so. I'm also wondering if dryness is the overall factor in the fluctuations I have in vision quality as well. I can sit at the TV and put drops in and this pesky left eye can see better due to the liquid making the cornea smoother on the surface or so I assume. Still have the halo's and glare at night. If they have diminished any I'm not aware of it as it may be so small of a change as to not be readily noted. The night driving is the hardest but not to bad as to warrant hubby driving me to work. Mostly it is the blurry left eye causing the most glare issues although both have the halo vision. The traffic lights at about the 3 week post op started looking double from a far distance and as you get up on them, they get solid and normal looking. That has not changed and there again, mostly the left eye causing this phenomenon. My next Dr. Appt is May and I see the surgeon this time and not an associate so I'll address the issue with the left eye at that time. I had no idea I could request my follow up appts with him and thought I had to see the associate but that is not the case. Just have to ask to see him. The associate is ok but he is not forthcoming with suggestions or questions. He waits for you to voice all concerns and then does not offer much hope or suggestions even though he has seen scads of Lasik patients. Not even a " give it time, it may resolve" but maybe that would be false so he stays silent so as to not implicate himself or the head surgeon will get a bad rap from his comments...So, I'll see what the main man has to say in a couple of months. Still using Systane Ultra drops daily but not as much as I was and the GenTeal Lubricant eye gel at night (this one I believe is making it so I can sleep all night long!) . I still stare at a computer all day Mon-Friday so I believe I'm causing inflammation which leads to the poor vision but I'm not sure as the associate has never said a thing about it. Just that my flaps are healing well and no cloudiness. I'm going to request a copy of my records while I'm there next and see what they wrote down. Just wondering if more info is there or not.
All in all, 20/20 and 20/15 sometimes in my right eye so it is doing all the work for distance vision these days! Still on the fence as to whether this was a good choice but with the dryness getting better, at least that is a plus!

Supplements for Lasik

I forgot to mention it but I take a multivitamin daily and started Flaxseed capsules before lasik which may or may not have helped me but i figured, it could not hurt and was good for me too. I still take them both and adjusted the Flaxseed to 4000 mg a day. (research shows 6000 is the most helpful in studies for dry eyes but it is a lot so I toned it down a bit.)
I also hold a hot washcloth for a few minutes twice a day on my closed lids just as a precaution to the dry eye thing and the glands. I were no makeup to clog the glands so no worries there.

3 months post lasik

It has been 3 months and so far the consensus is...I have astigmatism in my left eye and it is no better or no worse. The dry eye came back a few days ago but I believe the plugs they put in are gone as they were only temps but supposed to last 3 months. With me, must only last 2. I go in next week for a follow up and I will ask for a permanent set in the lowers as they made quite a difference. He may want to stick with temps though so I guess I'll have to wait and see. All the reading I have done says the dry eye can take 3-6 months or longer or never go away so I'm hoping in 6 months things will be different. The long use at the computer all day for my work may be a big factor in this.
My night vision is not good due to the left eye being 20/40. I would like it corrected as it is my dominant eye and the difference is hard to deal with so next week....I want some answers to see if this is it and deal or just what is up. That is one thing I learned....ask the Dr. the hard questions and get the tests done to confirm things if you want them.

3 1/2 months post lasik

Had my Dr.'s visit a couple weeks ago and I was unimpressed. He came in and checked my eyes and said they were healing fine. My left eye is still blurry and he immediately said I can have a touch up but the odds are 98% it will go OK but it could make it worse. What I thought was weird is he did not ask me about my day to day activities or any dryness issues. I had to ask for temp plugs to be put back in as the others were gone and he was hesitant to do so saying I did not need them.
Yes, I do as I could tell the minute the old one's were gone as I had a lot of burning eye syndrome.
Well, He reluctantly put in another set of temps (they are free for lasik folks in the first year) and told me when to schedule a touch up if I wanted it done. Then he was gone....
So, I set up the appt for June and left.
I had vacation coming up with 6 days away from 8-9 hour computer work and I told myself I was going to see what happened as this would be the first long break from a computer.
I just returned 2 days ago and yes, it did make a difference in several ways to not have to work the computer and the eye strain was now gone. I had better vision than ever before and my left eye was not quite as bad with times (mostly in the morning) where I could see very clearly. The dryness was almost gone except around the campfire(understandable) and I used the artificial tears only a few times in all those days.
Long story short, my computer use is causing the poorer vision due to strain. The Dr. never asked. I'm canceling the appt for the touch up as I feel the risk is not worth it and my eyes are not stable. That should be the first thing he checked. Touch up's require stable vision for a good outcome. End of story. He is a very well known Dr. in this community but I think he has lost the personal touch and seems to push people through like cattle with no regard to individual situations.
I'll check back in later this year and update my progress.

4 months post op

Well, been 4 months now and all is pretty much the same as before. Left eye blurry and the right one ok. Mornings are better than later on in the day and the dry eye syndrome is still there as the temp plugs just are not lasting longer than 1 month for me. I can tell the minute they are gone or so it seems. Guess I need permanent one's but the Dr. says I don't need them at all. Strange as he does not have the tired, burning eyes like me so how would he know? They are sand papery in the morning, too, and I have to use drops. If that is not dry eye then I don't know what is! I'll try the other Dr. in the office as he is way more accommodating and helpful.
Long story short (ha!) I would not recommend lasik to anyone who spends a lot of time on a computer or if you are pushing 50 years old. The dry eye is more apt to happen in our group.
It i9s your call though so only you can decide!

7 Months Post op Lasik

7 Months have now passed by. Looking back, I can tell you that the dry eye peaked around the 3-4 month mark and has actually improved a little bit. I use drops in the morning when I get up and sometimes after a long day. My vision is best in the morning in the light but if it is dark out, it is not so good due to the left eye being what it is. Still blurry and an enhancement is needed but I'm going to ask the Dr. if he can do Lasek instead of lifting the flap and correcting it. I heard you can and so I may pursue this if he says yes, he can do it otherwise, glasses for nighttime are going to be needed and may anyway just to be safe.
Dr. M H

Awesome Dr but you do not see him much except for a consult prior and the day of and the day after surgery. All other visits are done by the associate but they are well informed as well so no worries!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

Are the flaxseed and multiviatmins something your doctor told you about, or did you find out about that while researching your procedure?
I found out about it doing the research on line and figured it couldn't hurt. I told my Dr. I was taking them and he said "great!". The Dr. never recommended much before lasik except the day of surgery stuff such as no makeup and bring a driver and your eye drops prescription. They did not use the drops but just wanted to make sure you filled the prescription! Guess a lot don't! It has been 7 1/2 weeks now and the dry eyes issue is almost gone now! Yah! I wear my WileyX sunglasses in windy weather out side which blocks the wind and that helps a lot. Computer use at work makes my eyes tire out and they get irritated but that is slowly getting better. I knew the long use on the PC was going to take a toll but it is my job. The mornings my vision is the best on most days but the left eye is still slightly blurry and I'm thinking it was under corrected or somthing. Weird because the first day after, it was clear and great! At the DR. they had me hold a eye paddle up and look through small holes in it with the left eye and I can read the smallest line on the chart!! I asked the assistant why that is and he said it was because your focusing through a small area. Not really an answer so I'm going to ask the surgeon when I see him next month. I'm going to try it here and see what size of hold to look through when it changes my vision for the better. The holes on the paddle were pretty small (smaller than a pencil eraser) . Interesting stuff. The right eye is still great but the slight difference in the left to the right is upsetting at times and at night, it is really noticeable. I see the traffic lights as double with both eyes and that did not happen until 5 weeks into recovery. The halos were there from day one and still there. The star bursting is still there in both eyes. I think I may eventually have to get night driving glasses to fix the double vision with the lights but it is not disabling now so we will see. During the day, things are much better and I take it all in stride. My right eye I think is slowly compensating for the left and hopefully my brain will tune that side out while the right one does the work. Sounds good in theory but I still have several months to go to see how this all plays out. I wear reading glasses now and that is no big deal as I 47 so the transition was upon me anyway. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than bifocals! Computer screen reading is hit or miss . On some days I do not need the 1 power readers on others I do. Fluctuations are the norm with this surgery and I hope my details help those going through this too. I still use a washcloth to dab my eyes in the shower and no rubbing except really lightly with the cloth and all is well. I wear no make up and never have so no info to give on that but I do use lotions and have had no issues there. They say I'm seeing 20/20 in both but that is not a true test of your eyes and the one being fuzzy can be a factor so I tell them all I can at the DR. appt. but time is the telling. I still have the temp plugs in to help with my tear function and if that is what made the dryness go away, I may have to get permanent one's but I still have 2 months before they disappear on their own. If they go dryer at that time, I will know they were the factor. If you are suffering the dryness early on, Get them put in! I waited until 5 weeks post op and probably shouldn't have. Of course, the Dr. said they did not look dry prior to that but that is not a true telling of the issue. My computer use probably had something to do with it as well. I'll update again in a month after my Dr. visit.