Botched Job

Be very careful who you get to perform plastic...

Be very careful who you get to perform plastic surgery. Mine was a total botch job and now I look like a burn victim. The blepharoplasty I had done is a mess and now I live like a hermit because I am too ashamed to face folks. My surgeon refuses to help or reimburse me, telling me to hit the road, basically. Nice eh

Kelowna Plastic Surgeon

David Williamson performed a botch job on me and refuses to man-up about it. I asked for a refund and he refused and when I asked for a copy of the surgical report it came back altered to protect him against litigation. This is a man I put my face and my trust in and he absolutely let me down. I look a freakish mess like a burn victim, and it's affected my whole outlook on life and my happiness because I avoid people now due to the way I look. Beware bad surgeons. They take your money and run...after wrecking your looks first, that is.

Have a hereditary problem of saggy lids and dark puffy bags...had both lids done 16 years ago at 37 yrts old. I need a redo and have been looking for an eye surgeon in the okanagan as my previous surgeon has retired. Thank you for your post. Now to find a dr that ppl recommend, any recommendations are appreciated.
Hi Joanned1960, I had my surgery in Vancouver many years ago like you. Initially, I just went to him to do the lower lids, but he told me that it would not look right if I didn't do the uppers as well. Really, it was a total botch job, to say the least. My upper lids look really weird with scarring. I had a hard time closing my eyes properly for many years. The lowers are not much better. It really has been a nightmare for me and I can identify with you as far as living as a hermit. It has changed my personality totally from being an outgoing person to a recluse. As far as revisions go, I have been told that it would be risky to have another surgery, so I have just been living with it. Also, my surgeon did not take any responsibility for what he had done to me. They just do not want to admit when they have screwed up. And as far as suing in Canada, it is very difficult especially for elective surgery. Other than being blinded, I do not think it is going to work out. The only other option, I guess, is to shame the doctor, but even still, I do not think he will own up. I hope you can find someone out west that can revise your eyes so that you feel more comfortable being out in public and going about your everyday life. I sure can emphasize with you! Let me know if you do find someone and stay in touch to tell me how you are doing.
Hi, be careful and good luck with your surgery. I live in Seattle so don't think I can recommend anyone near you. Make sure you really trust this doctor and get lots of references and see before and after photos. Good luck.
please try to get legal support, even if he botched your files. this is infuriating. you could threaten to take him to court unless he does a revision. but, you don't want him to do the revision, i'm sure. bless your heart. i wish i could help.
post photos...at least that way you can show the world what that person had done to you..i tried very hard to be patient and hopeful that things were not as bad as it seemed,i had prayed that the results were going to get better... i kept telling myself that the photos i had taken of myself after he performed what was supposed to be a simple lower lid surgery to remove puffiness under my beautiful eyes were deceptive and my doctor had not destroyed my lower lids.. i tried to give this doctor the benefit of the doubt all the while doubting myself while this doctor was telling me that what i was seeing was not a reality and that he was a great guy and he had done a great job and dont bother him and blah blah blah.i waited and waited for the horrible results i was seeing to get better,i waited for my beautiful eyes to come back...his doctor told me he did nothing to my eyes but reposition fat and that he did NOT do a canthopexy and did NOT shorten my lower lids...he lied and i tried very hard to believe him...and i waited untill after the 6 month mark,he performed some little revision surgery to try to repair what he had done ONLY because he knew i was on REALSELF and that i was documenting my progress and he was and is still reading this.he treated me very badly...Do i think he is a bad guy?no,of course not..He has a questionable bedside manner,the results turned out badly,i am devastated,he is seemingly remorseless and untill i recieved my records from Vantage Eye Center showing the before and after photos he himself took showing how he had destroyed my eyes...they are the black and white photos on my review...i am still reeling and in shock how this could have happened...alls that i asked of him was to tell me what he had done so that maybe one day someone could fix it...even that he refused to tell me...i dont know why.......i am glad that i had recorded every visit (i had informed him and he responded okay)so that i at least know exactly what was said...
Hi Colleen: The doctors are not going to tell you that they have made a mistake because they do not want to take responsibility for any mistake that has occurred. They will tell you that everything looks fine, but in the meantime, your friends are wondering what the heck happened. I know. Another thing, do not let them do any revisions because chances are they will turn out the same way. These doctors, like I said before, really must stress the negatives of such a procedure. I believe that many people are not candidates for eyelid surgery like myself. I had pre-surgery dry eyes which has been exasperated to the extent that every night I apply lubricant before going to bed. Not a pretty sight! Because people like us cannot sue for injuries, we somehow have to deal with the negative outcome which is not an easy thing to do. You do have pretty eyes and it is so unfortunate that you are in the same predicament. I am sure these doctors are not bad people, but some go ahead with surgeries that may not be in their field of excellence. For instance, they may have more experience doing noses. Eyelid surgery, I believe, is the most unforgiving of all if it turns out badly. I would rather have a messed up nose than the eyes. They are so sensitive and unforgiving. Sending good energy your way.
Citroen2cv: Thanks for your comment and good wishes. I did consult a lawyer, but was told that it is very difficult to sue because it is elective surgery. It also takes time and money. These doctors know that, too. It is a shame that they get away with what they do with people that have had negative outcomes. You really do not have any recourse, but to lick your wounds, and in the meantime, try to find a doctor that may be able to help improve on what has occurred. Even then, you will never have the eyes you were born with back. Thanks again for your good wishes.
this is what my surgeon repeatedly said to me for an explanation....and this is directly from my recordings of our appointments...(i didnt do that)4 times...(i dont know what youre talking about )3 times...Your eyes were like that before....3 times.... ( didnt have anything to do with your eye shape being altered ) twice....(i did not perform a canthopexy or shorten your lower eyelid) twice....my records say he did.... he offered no explanation at all and never even told me what he did...he got mad at me because i asked him questions,yelled at me and stomped off.
i wish that there was something i could do for the both of us
Hi Colleen: Yes, that would be great if we could change things for the better. Your doctor, by the sound of it, will never say that he had made a mistake. This, I think, is par for the course as far as doctors are concerned. It is frustrating but it is futile to get him to admit to any wrongdoing. Another doctor may be able to make things better. I hope this happens for you! Thinking of you and thanks for the comment.
i hope so too....i have an appointment with another doctor here the day after tomorrow but rescheduled...my doctor told me he knew every other doctor and their children ,so i feel that even though i would like to seek help,he may cause problems for me here.it is a small community...my friends have been telling me that my eyes are closing strangley,like the muscles opening and closing them are not working correctly now,my friend did a video of her talking to me and i am shocked how damaged my muscles are now appearing...i just dont know what to do...i would even pay my previous surgeon more money just to fix what he had done.he is the only one who knows exactly what it was.im really bummed
i dont get where a human being thinks it is okay to do a bad job and ruin your looks then just turn their backs to you and say (dont bother me) we have to live for the rest of our lives dealing with what they had done.... i could never rest if i had done something like that and did not do everything in my power to make retribution.... i too am in the medical profession and people used to tell me i cared too much,gave to much and that as time went on i would not feel that way,not care as much,but i still have the same principals and compassion as ever,perhaps that is why i practice in home care,and my employment is through word of mouth only and i am never out of work....my surgeons behavior was totally appalling and condescending..not to mention dishonest and narcissistic.....more than just the results was the shock that someone would treat me that way after inflicting injury...i am sorry this happened to you...i hope you find resolve.....please take good care of yourself
Hi Coleen: Yes, it does make you wonder how a medical doctor could just not care about what disfigurement he has done to a patient. Like I said in another comment, "I would like to see him walk around with the same face that he gave any of us on this site that have experienced negative outcomes." They are not held accountable because they know that it is very hard to sue due to fact that it is elective surgery. So therefore, instead of informing a patient honestly about what could go wrong, and I mean emphasizing the negatives, they are gung ho to do the surgery telling the patient that everything will be hunky dorry. I figure it is like practice for them. It really is sad and I feel for the people on this site who have to deal with a face that has been mutilated by some rich PS. It's a very hard thing to deal with. The only thing I would say to people thinking about fooling around with the eyes: Be very, very careful as to the surgeon and even then, what you have been born with is not so bad after all so don't mess around with it because once that knife cuts your skin there is no going back and it could be a nightmare for you.
Hi Colleen: Yes, it makes you wonder how a physician could not care about leaving someone disfigured then just turn his back on them. I would like to see them walk around for awhile with the same face a PS has given some of the people on this site and the debilitating physical side effects that some people have experienced. The problem is that it is very hard to sue for elective surgery. It is like: Buyer beware! It is really sad and I feel so much empathy for people who have bad results from eyelid surgery. The doctors should empathize the negative outcomes that could happen, and I mean really talk about them and let one know that these could happen instead of being so gung ho to get on with it. That is what happened to me. Also, they should know their limitations so that they could recommend someone who is an expert in the eyelid procedure. I really feel empathy for people on this site that have to deal with a negative result. Think very hard and research your doctor before letting anyone near your eyes because once that knife hits your skin there is no going back. I would love to have my old eyes back.
sad
Hi Colleen: Yes, it makes you wonder how a surgeon could leave a patient disfigured and then turn his back on them. I would like to see them walk around with the disfigurements some people have to deal with on this site, plus all the physical side effects of eyelid surgery are not emphasized enough pre-surgery. The doctors should really talk about what could go wrong. Also, if they are not really experienced with the eyelids, then they should be recommending someone who does. The problem is that it is very hard to sue a doctor for elective surgery and they know that. I would advise anyone thinking about tampering with their eyes, think long and hard, because once that knife hits the skin, there is no going back and your natural eyes might not be all that bad after all. I would give anything to have my old eyes back
Hi Colleen: I wrote three replies, more or less, saying the same thing because I thought they didn't go through. But, yes, it is hard to deal with a physician that does not care. Keep being the caring person you are because the world needs more people like you. I will keep you in my thoughts.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi botchedkelownajob Have your eyes improved to the point where you can go out? I, too, had a very bad experience with upper and lower eyelid surgery. I have had to live with these disfigurements for many years. Initially, I just wanted the bottom lids done to remove the bags, but the surgeon in Vancouver told me that it would not look OK, so therefore, I should get the uppers done as well. I do look pretty weird - like I have undergone major eye surgery. It definitely is not a subtle change that's for sure! Also, it changed the shape of my eyes which does not suit my face at all. One doctor on this site stated that you should never change the persons eye shape. So there you go! Recently, I wrote to him expressing all the years of pain his surgery has caused me. He did write back more or less saying good luck with future revisions. If it hadn't been for him, I would only be dealing with the lower lids. Eyelid surgery is not for everyone. People with dry eyes should never have anything done to the eyes as I discovered post surgery. He did not ask any questions regarding the health of my eyes. Your eyes and skin around them are so sensitive. These doctors get away with bad outcomes. They should never be doing them in the first place. I would like them to walk around with the same disfigurement for awhile and see how they feel about facing the world. Sometimes, I feel like going downtown Vancouver and picketing outside his office to show Vancouver what he had done to my eyes. Maybe that would get his attention! I wish you all the best and hope that your eyes will improve.
One nice thing is that we can "vent" on this website. I hope you are doing better. The picketing thing would be awesome if you could get away with it. Sooner or later this dunce will go out of business. Seems like a lot of doctors are just greedy and incompetent. People like us learned this the hard way. Thank you for reading and writing and sharing.
Hi Bonnie Jean: Yes, it does help when you know that you are not the only one that had a terrible outcome with eyelid surgery. Before I found this site, I could hardly talk about it with anyone because I felt so embarrassed by doing something so drastic especially when it turned out the way it did. It is so difficult to come to terms with since there is no recourse. These doctors should be more responsible to their patients by emphasizing the negative aspects of such a surgery so that a person can make a more informed decision about going ahead with it or not. This was not fully explained to me. Because, if something negative happens, there is no going back and that person has to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives. Perhaps, for some, a revision will make the eyelids look and function better, but even then, you will never have the eyelids you were born with back. I wish I had a magic wand so that I could reverse all the negative outcomes that have happened to people on this site. I, too, have gone through the depression, etc., but somehow I am hanging in there. It is a day to day thing. Some days easier than others. Thanks for writing and you will be in my thoughts.
Hello, I had post mastectomy tissue expander a and then implants by Dr. Patricia Clugston. She was simply Horrible. The story is just too long to even try to write. Dr. Clugston passed away about 2 years after she did my surgery. She died of scleroderma. My question is is anyone else out there a patient of Patricia Clugston and did they notice anything strange about her behavior? My surgery was jan7/2000. I was reconstructed by dr. David Williamson just this past December. 3/2013.
Hi Leee, I have never heard of Patricia Clugston. Where was she practising before she passed away? I hope your reconstruction surgery turned out OK for you. It sounds like you have been through a lot. Let me know how you are doing?
Hi Leee, I have never heard of Patricia Clugston. Where did she practise before she passed away? Hopefully, your reconstruction surgery by Dr. Williamson turned out OK for you! Let me know how you are doing?
hello! Dr. Patricia Clugston was in Vancouver. I'm doing much better. My surgery was dec.3 /13 and the last of the stitches were taken out in May. I had to be resewn 3 times as fluid build up caused two areas to open up and then would not close. I guess that is a common problem with the lattisimus dorsai reconstruction. I still have another surgery to complete but have not made up my mind yet on going further as I am a bit afraid of starting another healing crisis ...but am still healing anyway...so there is lots of time to decide yet. I was happy with dr. Williamson. I didn't see much of him but he was nice to me when I did see him. Thank you for your message. Lee