Tummy Tuck, After WLS, Paid Time Off? - Birmingham, AL

So, I am new to this forum. I had Vertical Sleeve...

So, I am new to this forum. I had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in July 2010, and have lost almost 150 pounds. I decided to have a tummy tuck- mainly due to recurrent hernias and skin issues. My insurance denied, claiming an exclusion, so I was forced to private pay. My surgery was on Fruday the 3rd; and due to some complications, i had to stay overnight. Anyway, I need some love and advice.

First, how long did most of you need off of work? I had a full TT with muscle repair; and a midline scar. My job requires me to be on my feet 8 hours a day: Two days out,l fro Surgery, and I can barely stand. And, I could deal with the pain- but the surgical drains are awful. How long do most people have to keep them?

All in all, I have no regrets. I have never had a small belly; I've always had that extra roll on my middle- even when I was young.

Also; how many of you have used Short term disability and/ or FMLA? My doc submitted the paperwork last week, but I did not know If there would be issues with approval. Anyway; as I'm laid up at the moment I thought I would reach out to soms of you who had been through it before. Thanks!

Sorry for all the misspelled words in my first...

Sorry for all the misspelled words in my first post. I will blame it on the lortab! :)

For those of you wondering or in similar situations, because I'm having this surgery to treat recurrent medical issues and because it required in patient hospital care- FMLA is covering my time out of work.

Also, just my own personal words of advice- surggical drains are extremely bothersome. I invested in some mens boxers briefs (In a size up from mine) to give my drain tubing a little pouch to live in. Not attractive in the least, but so much more comfortable. :)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations Juju Bee! I just had gastric sleeve surgery 3 weeks ago and eventually want to get a full tummy tuck too. I am so excited for you! I am a little freaked out by the amount of pain I've heard after a tummy tuck. It sounds far worse than sleeve surgery. I was able to get up and walk around fine after my sleeve surgery and never had much discomfort or pain. The tummy tuck sounds way worse.
Hi Juju! Congrats on your surgery! I am 1 month post op today and feeling pretty good but I wouldn't want to be on my feet for 8 hours a day. But I've read reviews where people have gone back to work 2 weeks post op but are very tired.
I had one drain and it was removed at post op day 8 but I've read others who haven't had their removed until 3 weeks out. Typically docs will give you a number they want you to drain in a 24 hour period (my ps said under 30cc's of drainage within 24 hours and my drain could be removed).
I had several hernias repaired as well and doc wants me to do NO physical activity for 6 weeks (anything during which I could feel my abs work so as not to ruin the muscle repair or make the hernias recur). Plus - the more you are up and about the more you'll swell so take that into consideration. What does your doc suggest?
I am a stay at home mom so I haven't dealt with FMLA. I hope someone can help you with that!

Take it easy and happy healing! :-)
Thanks for sharing! I learned i will have my drains in for at least a couple of more days, but im slowly feeling more normal. :)