Tummy Tuck, After WLS, Paid Time Off? - Birmingham, AL

So, I am new to this forum. I had Vertical Sleeve...

So, I am new to this forum. I had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in July 2010, and have lost almost 150 pounds. I decided to have a tummy tuck- mainly due to recurrent hernias and skin issues. My insurance denied, claiming an exclusion, so I was forced to private pay. My surgery was on Fruday the 3rd; and due to some complications, i had to stay overnight. Anyway, I need some love and advice.

First, how long did most of you need off of work? I had a full TT with muscle repair; and a midline scar. My job requires me to be on my feet 8 hours a day: Two days out,l fro Surgery, and I can barely stand. And, I could deal with the pain- but the surgical drains are awful. How long do most people have to keep them?

All in all, I have no regrets. I have never had a small belly; I've always had that extra roll on my middle- even when I was young.

Also; how many of you have used Short term disability and/ or FMLA? My doc submitted the paperwork last week, but I did not know If there would be issues with approval. Anyway; as I'm laid up at the moment I thought I would reach out to soms of you who had been through it before. Thanks!

Hi Juju! Congrats on your surgery! I am 1 month post op today and feeling pretty good but I wouldn't want to be on my feet for 8 hours a day. But I've read reviews where people have gone back to work 2 weeks post op but are very tired.
I had one drain and it was removed at post op day 8 but I've read others who haven't had their removed until 3 weeks out. Typically docs will give you a number they want you to drain in a 24 hour period (my ps said under 30cc's of drainage within 24 hours and my drain could be removed).
I had several hernias repaired as well and doc wants me to do NO physical activity for 6 weeks (anything during which I could feel my abs work so as not to ruin the muscle repair or make the hernias recur). Plus - the more you are up and about the more you'll swell so take that into consideration. What does your doc suggest?
I am a stay at home mom so I haven't dealt with FMLA. I hope someone can help you with that!

Take it easy and happy healing! :-)

Sorry for all the misspelled words in my first...

Sorry for all the misspelled words in my first post. I will blame it on the lortab! :)

For those of you wondering or in similar situations, because I'm having this surgery to treat recurrent medical issues and because it required in patient hospital care- FMLA is covering my time out of work.

Also, just my own personal words of advice- surggical drains are extremely bothersome. I invested in some mens boxers briefs (In a size up from mine) to give my drain tubing a little pouch to live in. Not attractive in the least, but so much more comfortable. :)

Congratulations Juju Bee! I just had gastric sleeve surgery 3 weeks ago and eventually want to get a full tummy tuck too. I am so excited for you! I am a little freaked out by the amount of pain I've heard after a tummy tuck. It sounds far worse than sleeve surgery. I was able to get up and walk around fine after my sleeve surgery and never had much discomfort or pain. The tummy tuck sounds way worse.
Thanks for sharing! I learned i will have my drains in for at least a couple of more days, but im slowly feeling more normal. :)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon